Author Topic: Picky Pike  (Read 1047 times)

Offline bobbyz04

• IceShanty Rookie
Picky Pike
« on: Mar 07, 2011, 06:04 PM »
 I was out yesterday in port colborne(lake erie) doing some ice fishing in a local marina. I heard there was pike in there, so I set up my HT ice rigger with a porteguese sardine on a quick strike rig. I was jigging for perch in the other hole. I was in 8 fow inside the rock breakwall. 3 different times a huge pike about 15lbs or more came up to the sardine and just stared at it from about 3 feet away. After about 10 seconds the pike just swam away. The second time it came I lifted the bait slightly and made it move just a little. Still nothing. The third time I got a trigger X minnow down the other hole and started jigging when I saw the pike. I am not sure if he saw it before he turned away. Any ideas or tips to land this baby would be apreciated.  Thanks

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Picky Pike
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2011, 08:14 PM »
interesting observation, and just confirms the fact that sometimes pike just arent in the mood. Not sure there is much you could have done to entice that fish, aside from maybe downsize and drop a med/large shiner down there, kind of like finesse fishing I supposed?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.