Author Topic: pike leaders  (Read 11656 times)

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: pike leaders
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2010, 03:53 PM »
made it out for the first time this year and lost one on my 20lb. fish was over 20 for sure. i'm switching to 40

Seeing your comment directly above made me laugh looking at this one! But in all seriousness, Sorry about your loss. Extremely hard to cope with during the holidays  ;D

Offline Waterwolf Doug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2010, 04:11 PM »
I use  3-4 feet of 17-20lb berkley vanish for a leader and a #10 mustad treble.    Ive caught some large pike/musky with it. most of the time if Im going to keep the fish I will use a gaff to get it up on the ice, Then retie after catching a fish. 

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 25, 2010, 11:45 AM »
Seeing your comment directly above made me laugh looking at this one! But in all seriousness, Sorry about your loss. Extremely hard to cope with during the holidays  ;D
i thought someone might like that ;D i changed all of my leaders to 50lb seguar

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #33 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:56 PM »
finlessbrown, you jinxed yourself.  :roflmao: :roflmao:

When I go lighter, I end up breaking off, but I seem to get more bites.  Then I get mad at myself, come back with the heavy stuff, then I get like almost no bites.  Then I get mad about it, come back with some lighter stuff and the whole crazy cycles repeats itself.  Once in a while I do upgrade my reel or to something of better quality and find my success will improve with the lighter stuff.  ;D

30# will be the lightest I will do this year.  I've got 80# set aside.  I might just get some 50# stuff ready on the side as well or maybe some 40# and 60# stuff too.  Darn this thread.... >:(
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline bradleyroy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 26, 2010, 04:18 PM »
finlessbrown, you jinxed yourself.  :roflmao: :roflmao:

When I go lighter, I end up breaking off, but I seem to get more bites.  Then I get mad at myself, come back with the heavy stuff, then I get like almost no bites.  Then I get mad about it, come back with some lighter stuff and the whole crazy cycles repeats itself.  Once in a while I do upgrade my reel or to something of better quality and find my success will improve with the lighter stuff.  ;D

30# will be the lightest I will do this year.  I've got 80# set aside.  I might just get some 50# stuff ready on the side as well or maybe some 40# and 60# stuff too.  Darn this thread.... >:(

I would set aside some 20,30,40,50,60,70,75,80,100,and 200 lb test, just in case ;D

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 31, 2010, 01:34 PM »
I use 15lb mono. Let my pictures speak for themselves :) If the fish wants to run let it run don't sit there and try to winch it in. Its not a hard process.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2010, 04:26 PM »
20# P-line florocarbon. Mustad circle hooks 2/0. snell knot. :tipup:

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:11 PM »
I use 15lb mono. Let my pictures speak for themselves  If the fish wants to run let it run don't sit there and try to winch it in. Its not a hard process.

Your not fishing heavy weeds are you?  Easy to let a fish run when your fishing open water.  Fish a lake with heavy milfoil and you'll change your tune in a heartbeat... ;)

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline ugp685

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Fished twice this year for Tiger's, I had steel, my buddy had 17lb fluoro.  First trip my buddy had 6 flags, I had zero.  We landed a 30'er and 42"er which was ~19-20lbs, as I lifted it out of the hole the line snapped, but it got the job done.  I went out again the following week with a buddy, 10 steel leaders total.....0 flags. 

I have used Maxima Chameleon line religiously for open water and ordered a spool of 30lb to use as leaders. I am looking forward to my next trip to see if my # of flags increases.

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 21, 2011, 10:22 AM »
 I curently make all my leaders out of steel. You guys are making me think I should go to floro. Do you just put a loop on one end, hook on other end? Is it that simple? or are you using spinners, beads, or the typical stuff you find on store bought? Will the collars you use on steel work, or do you tie knots?  give me some assembly ideas, pis . Thanks Mike

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2011, 02:05 PM »
 i have had a couple bite offs this year on 20# floro leader. but we have been getting a lot more flags. you are always going to lose fish thats why its called fishing. :tipup:

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2011, 04:04 PM »
I curently make all my leaders out of steel. You guys are making me think I should go to floro. Do you just put a loop on one end, hook on other end? Is it that simple? or are you using spinners, beads, or the typical stuff you find on store bought? Will the collars you use on steel work, or do you tie knots?  give me some assembly ideas, pis . Thanks Mike

I use 50 lb mono, and tie the hook on directly, but am also trying a few that go from line to o-ring to hook. I use the simple barrel knot with 3 twists, and have found that before you twist the line to tie, pinch the line together around the eye of the hook, it helps to tie better. Then 2-3' of line, then i use the same tying method to tie on a swivel at the other end. Thats all is use, nothing fancy. No break offs yet. Flag rate has also increased probably 3-4x. I sometimes put a small dot of gorilla glue on the knot, but am trying to go without it.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline davejohnson2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 03, 2011, 05:39 PM »
i have just always used steel but may try some flurocarbon this weekend, will pick some up at gander on the way home

Offline davejohnson2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2011, 05:46 PM »
actually i have some 30 pound test spider wire braid on hand, think that will work?

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2011, 06:34 PM »
actually i have some 30 pound test spider wire braid on hand, think that will work?
I responded on the other thread as well, but have heard some negative reviews about braid, i've heard people on here say it cuts easy. I don't know from experience though.

30-50 lb fluro should do well.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline davejohnson2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:34 PM »
okay thanks, hmm its deff harder for me to cut than mono,lol. i need a knife to cut the stuff, mono i can bite in half

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:38 PM »
Used to make mine out of steel, throw on a couple red or yellow beads and an egg sinker, crimp the hook and swivel on. Started using braid 2 years ago, and haven't had a break off yet, but haven't been using tip ups much lately.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:21 AM »
okay thanks, hmm its deff harder for me to cut than mono,lol. i need a knife to cut the stuff, mono i can bite in half

Standard mono is pretty weak. The mono leader material is much stronger. The only experience i have with braid is fireline in the summer, the stuff will cut like nothing on a hook set, mono leader material won't.. I use the same leaders in the summer.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:31 AM »
Floro is much better than mono. It's harder for the pike to see and has more abrasion resistance. I had 3 fish bite through the 80lb Ande mono leader material. I switched to 80lb floro and haven't broke one off yet.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.