Author Topic: Circle hooks for perch  (Read 3685 times)

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Circle hooks for perch
« on: Jan 09, 2017, 06:10 PM »
Was thinking about trying circle hooks for perch on my deadstick rods so they can maybe hook themselves, what's everyone's thoughts? I have some size 10 and 12 circle hooks for the idea
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Circle hooks for perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 12:56 PM »
I have used #14 circles on deadsticks thinking the same thing. Not very effective. Nothing beats a small treble for self hooking. BUT, I love the little circles on the chain of a Hali jig. Even before I see or feel a take but just know by the flasher its about to happen I just slowly with one motion drop down an inch then slowly sweep it up and bam, fish on.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 01:15 PM »
I have been using Gamakatsu Octopus Hooks on my deadstick for perch, size #6 in Glow. I believe they are very similar to the circle hook? I have been hooking the minnow on the side, under the skin with the barb facing forward. They have been working great for me.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 01:40 PM »
I have used #14 circles on deadsticks thinking the same thing. Not very effective. Nothing beats a small treble for self hooking. BUT, I love the little circles on the chain of a Hali jig. Even before I see or feel a take but just know by the flasher its about to happen I just slowly with one motion drop down an inch then slowly sweep it up and bam, fish on.

When using a small treble don't he perch get hooked deeply most of the time? I am going to be packing it with maggots cause I can't use live minnows most places I fish. Will probably be hanging it below a split shot for weight to get it down

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:27 PM »
From what I have experienced, and watched on an underwater camera, the take is like a taste. Unlike summer swimming and gorging right on down to the gullet. With a still bait as in deadsticking, the bait most times goes in and out of mouth before commitment. The treble will catch on exit. How many times have you detected a bite while jigging and strike and nothing there. Its out of the mouth. Advantage camera, strike when in mouth.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Thanks for the info  :)

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2017, 10:29 PM »
i use circle hooks on my tipups for perch cuz around my area the perch love sitting there and swallowing the bait, and i got sick of cutting trebles out of tiny perch. so, the circle hooks help combat that a little bit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.