Author Topic: ATV Windshield?  (Read 4369 times)

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
ATV Windshield?
« on: Nov 02, 2019, 11:14 PM »
Looking for firsthand experience from those that use their ATVs to ice fish and/or plow their driveway. Just switched from a SxS to an ATV and curious if a windshield is actually beneficial for the previously mentioned activities. Would prefer not to spend the $160 if most say they don't help enough to justify the cost. Also, interested in hearing any other feedback I should consider prior to buying one (general pros/cons I guess).

Thanks.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ATV Windshield?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2019, 11:10 AM »
I use my 4 wheeler for icefishing and used to use it for snow plowing. I never used one, never saw the need. when ice fishing I have to use a helmet anyway and with a face mask on I never get cold. My advice for snowplowing is, rather than buying a windshield put that money for a good quality winch. I had a harbor freight winch for the plow and the up and down is on a delay, so the positioning of the plow was a massive pain. I ended up retiring the blade and bought a deere with a blower, much easier and way quicker. Also get a digger mount for the front of the wheeler for the auger, works great.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Been running a windscreen since I bought my ATV in 2014. Excellent windbreak, I too wear a helmet, but the screen helps stop the air from getting at my neck and down my jacket.

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2019, 07:43 PM »
Good stuff guys. Appreciate the input.

I was out on the ATV tonight hauling things from the garage to the shed and could feel the brisk air. I may spend the $160 on the windscreen. Come plowing time I’m worried about that light fluffy snow coming up over the blade and into my face. Seems like rather cheap insurance.

However, going to be cheap and try and skip the hand/throttle warmers.    ;D

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2019, 09:47 PM »
Okay 52, you did it. A couple craft beers later and my CC now has an additional $160 on it.    :roflmao:

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Okay 52, you did it. A couple craft beers later and my CC now has an additional $160 on it.    :roflmao:

1st, the windscreen was my first mod. You'll like it.
2nd, what beer? I'm always digging for new craft beers. I'm on a Central Waters kick now.

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2019, 06:32 PM »
52isn'tbigenough,
Have you tried Raised Grain Brewery in Waukesha?
Some of the best beers I've had.

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2019, 08:37 PM »

2nd, what beer? I'm always digging for new craft beers. I'm on a Central Waters kick now.
Oooh, CW is good stuff! Like their Rift and HHG.
Oliphant is fairly close to us so been refilling the beer fridge from there recently. Also The Brewing Projekt in Eau Claire.

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2019, 08:39 PM »
52isn'tbigenough,
New one for my list. Thanks!
I’ll be in Ocon for work this coming week, might have to try and hunt some down.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2019, 11:05 AM »
Windshields make a huge difference. Get a large one. I fish all the time from ATV, it is my primary method of transportation on the ice. Your face, neck and hands will be much warmer.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2019, 11:37 AM »
52isn'tbigenough,

That's the new place by Action Power Sports, I was there for a grand opening thing. Great beer.

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2020, 10:33 PM »
Definitely a huge luxury to have. Went for a long time without and won’t have an ATV without again. Keeps the cold wind off in winter, in summer it’s nice keeps the bugs off if cruising at a good pace and year round keeps branches on overgrown trails from hitting you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.