The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice fishing for tigers  (Read 1756 times)

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice fishing for tigers
« on: Mar 21, 2018, 05:01 PM »
Had a great ice season.  Finished it off with a couple of nice tigers.  Already looking forward to next year.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice fishing for tigers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2018, 08:44 PM »
Nice looking fish well done

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:03 AM »
If you don't mind sharing what lake was this? I have never caught a tiger and they are close to the top of my hit list for the year.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Upper and Lower Sunshine has been stocked with tigers.   The G&F have stocked them in several others around the state. 

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2018, 02:09 PM »
I believe only Lower Sunshine has tigers as Upper is a Yellowstone Cutthrout fishery. High Savory south of Rawlins, Upper Silas above Lander, and Jim Bridger Pond are a few of the others with tiger trout. I caught and released a 26" tiger in High Savory several years ago.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2018, 08:44 PM »
26" is a nice fish. Any pictures?

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2018, 01:02 PM »
I caught the 26" in open water, my biggest through the ice was 22 or 23 inches long. I have pictures of both somewhere, if I happen to come across them I will try to post them, although I'm not sure I could figure out how to post them as I am very computer illiterate.

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2018, 03:19 PM »

Here should be pictures of a 26" open water tiger trout and a 22" tiger trout caught from the ice, both from High Savory.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2018, 01:12 AM »
They are in Viva Naughton now as well.

Online muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Very nice fish wyobear & TT. This is not in your guys neck of the woods but this is a 27in my buddy got a few years back here in utah

They are a good looking fish for sure and very aggressive. I hope this pic works, its from my old PB account that seems to work sometimes and not at other times.
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2018, 10:22 AM »
Muskyon46; your buddies fish is a dandy tiger. I originally opened this topic because I thought they meant tiger muskies as I'm a tiger muskie fanatic and have only managed a couple through the ice, both in Wyoming. I spend a lot of time chasing tigers at Pineview and Joes in open water.

Online muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2018, 12:05 PM »
I have got many TM on open water over the years, but have yet to get one on the ice. I dont get up to the view as much as I used to in the winter time and after my last kid even summers have fallen off, but eventually I'll be able to put the time in again. Thats great you've been able to get a few on the ice  :thumbsup: Dont know if you seen this post of mine on MFF Utah but theres some good tigermuskie pics on there for some of the 1st timers I've taken out. This post is a little old but I just looked and the photobucket pics are still showing up. I had to refresh the page for them to show up after getting on it the first time

https://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=54695.0
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2018, 12:22 PM »
TiggerTamer and Muskyon46, both great fish! I love fishing for tigers.  Maybe the hardest fighting fish we have around here.

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Through the ice I'd rate northern pike #1, Lakers #2, tiger muskies #3, Ohrid trout #4, then either tiger trout or splake. You can't get Ohrids anymore, tiger muskies are a rare catch, and Keyhole is the only "official pike fishery in Wyoming so Lakers are about the only catch you can commonly catch in Wyoming that would rate higher than tiger trout or splake. I did catch and release a 25# class northern pike out of Keyhole in the late 1990's.

Offline TiggerTamer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:59 AM »
Muskyon46; those are some nice fish on MFF. I caught and released my biggest tiger ever last year at the View 52.5" beating my old record a 50" I caught in 2014 also at the View. They are tied with purebred muskies as my favorite fish. I'm actually going after purebreds next week sometime over in Nebraska.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Tiggertamer, big pike through the ice are pretty fun but pound for pound I would still give it to trout to fight harder and longer.  But a 50"+ musky would be a different story

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2018, 07:29 PM »
Hey Tiggertamer did you weigh those two tiger musky? The state record is only 49" long and 33lbs 9oz.  Hell a fish 52" long should be easily over 35 pounds.  You could have been in the record books!

Online muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29, 2018, 09:12 AM »
Muskyon46; those are some nice fish on MFF. I caught and released my biggest tiger ever last year at the View 52.5" beating my old record a 50" I caught in 2014 also at the View. They are tied with purebred muskies as my favorite fish. I'm actually going after purebreds next week sometime over in Nebraska.

Thanks TT, definatley one of my favorites to chase. 50in & 52.5in are very nice and congats on getting ones that size. I would be very happy to accomplish catching a tigermuskie that size. 49in is the biggest thats ever been in my boat.

Hey Tiggertamer did you weigh those two tiger musky? The state record is only 49" long and 33lbs 9oz.  Hell a fish 52" long should be easily over 35 pounds.  You could have been in the record books!

At Pineview its only C&R for tigermuskie, so thats the only record he could have entered and the current record is 53.25in & yes one hell of a fish!!
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.