Author Topic: Snapping Wing Nut  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snapping Wing Nut
« on: Mar 07, 2014, 09:31 PM »
I keep breaking the wing nut that holds the auger on to the handle on a lazer auger. Anyone else having issues? On my seventh one of the season 6" no extension on a Dewalt drill now a Milwaukee both 18v lithium. Snaps right where it starts to thread into the side of the auger. 

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snapping Wing Nut
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2014, 09:49 PM »
I've never had that problem.  I've been using a drill on mine for several years.  I would replace it with a high grade bolt.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2014, 09:49 PM »
I keep breaking the wing nut that holds the auger on to the handle on a lazer auger. Anyone else having issues? On my seventh one of the season 6" no extension on a Dewalt drill now a Milwaukee both 18v lithium. Snaps right where it starts to thread into the side of the auger.

That is odd....my 6" lazer is at least 15 years old and still on first wing nut.  3rd or 4th year with the ice gator.  I do notice that the auger has some slop depending on which way I put auger onto the gator extension.  One way it has some 'slop' and spin it 180 degrees and it is tight.

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2014, 12:36 AM »
Maybe the thread/mount is bad or crooked. I use a 5 lazer with drill for years never had a problem. Does it wobble when drilling?

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2014, 03:17 AM »
Maybe the thread/mount is bad or crooked. I use a 5 lazer with drill for years never had a problem. Does it wobble when drilling?
It does come lose just a bit never backs all the way out. I tighten it back up just snug. I've even tried the blue lock tite.

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2014, 04:16 AM »
Never had a problem with mine either! Been using mine with a dewalt 18v for 7 years now and the auger is probably 15 yrs or older. Go to the hardware and get a grade 8 bolt, it's not likely you ever remove that wing bolt anyway.

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2014, 05:36 AM »
i drilled my threads out on my 6 inch to do away with the wing nut now i use a pin.  makes it easy to take apart and put back together so i dont have to leave my drill out in the elements.  i got the pin at tsc its for tractors so it hasnt broke but neither did my wing nut.  just thought the ease of taking it apart was better.  and it still works with the hand auger part aswell so early season it is alot lighter

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2014, 07:17 AM »
Pins rock, bolts suck.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2014, 08:54 AM »
Is your drill set on a low speed? It could be to  much torque if not.

Offline moonbeam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2014, 10:28 AM »
are you reversing drill if it becomes lodged?
WAIVER....."NO ANIMALS WERE ABUSED OR INJURED MAKING THIS MESSAGE."

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2014, 11:30 AM »
are you reversing drill if it becomes lodged?

I do reverse if it's locked up. That a no no? Never heard anyone make mention of it. I use low speed.

Offline dsqui

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2014, 11:41 AM »
im tellin ya throw the wing nut away.  drill it and pin it ull be happy

Offline Rabidgupy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2014, 06:04 PM »
I'll try the pinning can't hurt!

Offline bobber_Walker32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Which attachment do u guys recommend me gettin, and where could I pick one up??

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:07 AM »
 My bolt broke too, so I drilled it out and went to a D-clip. This was couple years ago and no problems since. There cheap and easier to change between bits.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:35 AM »
happened to me with a strikemaster hand auger extension. Called them and they sent an email asking for a picture and receipt for replacement. My older wing nut has held up quite well but I lost it on Erie this past weekend! I bent an "S" hook off of a bungee, put it through it and bent it around so it wouldn't slip out. It worked great so now I am going the pin route!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2020, 03:50 PM »
I just replaced the bold on mine. Never snapped, but mine is a 5 inch, and so torque is not an issue. I have drilled thousands of holes, and the screw always comes loose. Yesterday, while moving, I got to my next setup, and had no drill, no extension. I followed my tracks back, and found everything, but the wing nut was so worn it would no longer tighten up.
As a mechanical engineer, I can say the this is a bad design for a power coupling. The one end is supported by threads, and if the other end does not fit perfectly, the bolt will bend, and snap as many have reported under fatigue loading. This design was maybe OK for a hand auger, but should be a pin as others have reported.
Since I had a 6mm Socket Head cap screw, I put that in place- the head diameter is a close match for the shoulder on the original wing nut. I lactated it in place, and wrapped the entire operation in electrical tape for good measure. Should let me go tomorrow and figure out a better solution over the summer. I am thinking drill the whole thing out, press in a pin, and trim it flush and a few wraps of tape to make sure it never works loose and falls out.
Another note: Why are we still using a drill chuck? That seems like asking to lose an auger down the hole. You can replace the chuck, but almost no-one does it. Is there a reason?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.