Author Topic: Adding scent attractant  (Read 2966 times)

Offline jiggit

• IceShanty Rookie
Adding scent attractant
« on: Nov 21, 2005, 07:23 PM »
Hi, Just curious if anyone has had any success using a store bought or homemade scent attractant through the ice. I have never done it, but I tie my own ice flies and some of the material would soak up a liquid scent pretty good. ;D ;D SteveCOME ON ICE !!!

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Adding scent attractant
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2005, 10:26 PM »
ive tried..dont know if it helps...

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2005, 10:27 PM »
made catfood ice cubes one time...they float DOH! ;D

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2005, 11:04 PM »
Someone talked me into putting Preparation H on my lures cause it supposedly had shark oil in it. I'm still not over it.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline YR bender

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2005, 08:06 AM »
My Uncle used to put a drop of WD 40 in the shavings of the spikes. He said it took off the human scent. He used to kick my butt once in a while.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2005, 11:26 AM »
I have never fallen for the WD40 thing,  my past experiences show that when I have gas, lantern fuel, or any other petroleum based product on my hands the fish won't take the bait, so I am always paranoid when I stop to get gas on my way to the fishing hole, hell I even have a glove in my car just for getting gas when I am going fishing.  So I don't see how WD40, which is petroleum based, would attract fish, seems to me it would repel them.  How many people have actually tried the WD40 thing, many people say it works, but at the same time none of them have personally tried it, it is always "I heard".  Anways, we don't need WD40 in our lakes.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline YR bender

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2005, 01:45 PM »
Sorry, Crappie66, I did not mean to offend you. I was just sharing a thought on the topic. I really don't see how a drop of WD 40 pollutes a lake. He passed away in 2003 so he isn't doing anymore. I have never done it, so I hope I can fish with some of you some day and not offend you.

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:57 PM »
Time for our first group hug. Comeon, hug it out everybody.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2005, 06:15 PM »
I Love You Man ;D

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2005, 11:08 PM »
Charlie you cannot have my Bud Light.

I use Wd-40on a regular basis when fishing I lightly spray my reels and always end up with it on my hands, after work I have diesel fuel, asphalt based chemicals and various other petroleum based products covering me from head to toe in some form or another and for some odd reason I still catch fish.

There was a survey done by Berkley in a controled environment on different scents and other applicable lubricants and the results were actually surprising. WD40 actually did better than some scents that were marketed in that same time frame.
I remember the article from a Bassmaster issue in the late 90's but exactly I can not recall. I will do my homework and find it.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2005, 01:03 AM »
Sorry, Crappie66, I did not mean to offend you. I hope I can fish with some of you some day and not offend you.

You didn't offend me, I don't get offended on the internet, no need to worry.
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2005, 07:30 AM »
Hey Crappie66,its hard to get offended when you're favorite team has a rough road isnt it(lol)How about the WILDCATS START................. ....And when guys like me and Rico give ya a hard time about the boilers,ya see what happen,we were giving the boilers hell,and both of our teams have sucked it up to lmao,next week is another day huh RICO

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2005, 07:59 AM »
Hey Bruce! At least Painter is trying to get the basketball back to par
I know it is early but at least we are winning for now. LOng road to recovery. I think we have Xavior next.
Later Greg
Fish on!

Offline baboiler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Green Hornet Strikes Again!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2005, 03:32 PM »
   I have agree Greg. The freshmen on this Boiler team look to have alot of upside. We may be a year away from the NCAA Tournament but it is great to be excited about the future of Purdue Hoops again. Landry is a beast and so far the Minnoy kid has been VERY impressive. Thats the good news. Here's the bad news. Once this cold snap blows thru it looks like we are in for some more warm weather again next week :(    This is shaping up to be just like last year. A early cool down , get excited to get out and drill some holes , then a warm up and we all wait another month for good ice. Lets hope the warm up is a short one and of course Boiler Up!
Hail, Hail to Old Purdue, Ever grateful ever true!  Boiler Up!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2005, 06:12 PM »
i have used power bait on my lures,cant say if it helped. i did use those gulp worms last season and they definatly kicked but. also i started using those little glow tails on my raps,i realy think they upped my catch! even at rest they undulate and i think that gets some fish to go that otherwise wouldnt.

just my opinion  :-*
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline baboiler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Green Hornet Strikes Again!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2005, 07:29 PM »
I never bought in to the scent additives until this summer . I gave it another shot during this open water season and it might have made a difference a couple times. I'm still not 100% convinced but when the bite is slow it can't hurt????

Boiler Up!
Hail, Hail to Old Purdue, Ever grateful ever true!  Boiler Up!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.