Author Topic: Drawdown at Muncie Reservoir  (Read 3223 times)

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
Drawdown at Muncie Reservoir
« on: Nov 19, 2005, 10:47 AM »
Well I got hte word today its gonna happen they are going to draw the Munce Reservoir down 15 foot below pool. So the sailboaters can put in a new ramp and they still need to repair or replace the ones at the main launch  instead. But i guess that the money isnt there for that either.
Earlier in the year we had a fish kill, now we are going to have this can it get any worse for my hopes of good ice.

Well that just eliminated that lake from the Braggin Rites Tourney also.   Geez

I had such high hopes this winter.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Drawdown at Muncie Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2005, 11:17 AM »
This truely sucks,I always look forward to fishing Prarie Creek,think of all the people that will lean towards Summit now................Im really bummin now...................

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2005, 04:27 PM »
less water, same amount of fish. May be a good time to ice fish PC. the fish gotta go somewhere?Paul

Offline brawler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2005, 06:55 AM »
I'm with you paul, those fish have to go somewhere ;)

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2005, 07:17 AM »
sorry to hear that kid.  i really dont know what that will do to the fish or to the ice.  it seems that it might take the fish out of their "normal" winter cycle.  i thought this state was in some economic trouble?  i hear this kind of stuff and scratch my head espiecially when up hear they close boat ramps for lack of funds.  rest assured there will be no dnr work going on at the "honey hole".

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:29 AM »
Think about it fellows,ya get safe ice then they start pulling water and then there is air under the ice,not GOOD,if they keep the water level the same it will be ok,but 15',is a different story,hopefully they will get it pulled before it freeezes,

Jimmy

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2005, 12:26 PM »
Do they draw the water down quickly in a couple days or is it a slow gradual draw down.  I was thinking the same thing Mr. Wildcat was saying about air gap under the ice, that would be freaky to drill through ice to find 10 or 15 feet of air before getting to the water.

BOILER UP
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2005, 08:09 PM »
Well according to my sources they are going to pull out on the upwards of 20 million gallons of water a day. sounds like a bunch of water to me. I think it will be a fast drawdown but who knows all depends on Mother Nature I guess.

I probably will be doing alot of traveling this winter and not spending anytime on it looking for air gaps.

Offline jlc_hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spam America's New fad diet
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2005, 08:37 PM »
I sure the heck wouldn't get on there!!! Go to summit and stay safe...more than likely you won't make it out with an air gap like that....I like to ice fish but not much of a polar bear swim contestant
I use the 80/20 rule you need 80% of the tackle to catch 20% of the fish

Offline jlc_hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spam America's New fad diet
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2005, 08:42 PM »
I don't mind sailboaters EXCEPT when they
1. Mess up my fishing
2. Make Eagle Creek 10hp limit
3. Make wakes 20ft away while your anchored over a good spot
4. Don't act snotty
5. Respect me as a fellow boater...

Good now that's off my chest!!!!!
I use the 80/20 rule you need 80% of the tackle to catch 20% of the fish

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2005, 05:35 PM »
Does anyone remember when they drained Willow Slough back in the mid nineties? All of the gills ended up in one hole by the Game station and the last weekend of fishing there came to be know as Black Sunday. It was a slaughter. Can this happen at this lake?
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline ultralight

• IceShanty Rookie
  • .......get the gaff......
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2005, 07:43 PM »
Even with 15ft of water out of Prairie Creek it won't be no slaughter. It is mostly 26 ft thruout the main body. It will still have alot of water in it,just the best holes will be dry. It will make fishing there interesting to say the least. I am guessing the water will be down before freeze up. Salamonie lets out a bunch of water too but is still fishable. Have been there when the water was 4 ft down under the ice. That is really wierd, but did catch fish. Like asphalt kid said: guess we will have to make some road trips! There are plenty of other fishing holes around!!

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2005, 09:17 PM »
Well with the massive amount of shad and the great abundance of alot of gamefish(yeah RIght) I think the fish may be starved for oxygen and we may have another fish kill on the lake. I am with you ultralight, Road trips in abundance but Shoot Summit is just 16 or so miles from the house, P.C. is only 7 so I guess it really doesnt matter to me because you guys know ...................... ...................... ...................... ..................The "kid" will be ice fishing somewhere and catching em too. ;)

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2005, 04:18 PM »
Hi Gang!
  Well I was looking forward to  the braggin rights tournament this year too!  Hey Have shanty will travel.  I ran 212 miles last year to get to the tournament  I guess Ill Have to stay at a hotel next time LOL.  3 Hours eacgh way isnt gonna stop me from ice fishing with such a great group of guys!  Thats how I feel about it>  Now all I need is some darn early ice.  I started ice dancing  but we need the shole trip to kick in  comon guys!
  I bought a Skeeter Bass Boat this year but since I wasn't invited this summer to come down and fish I figured you guys don't fish in the summer??
   Anyway see Ya"ll this winter.
  Da_Roc
  Rocky Martin
  Porter county Indiana
  P.S.  Don't schedule the tournament the weekend or feb 11th  I am going to the trap attack in Wisconson that weekend. 

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2005, 04:48 PM »
My dad was telling me that a few years back him and a buddy drove out on one of the mining reservoirs up on the iron range.  They got to their spot, got all their gear out, drilled a hole, and no water came up!  They're sitting there thinking "what the..." and realized that they were sitting on 10 ft. of air!  They quickly packed the gear back into his ford f350 and crept off the lake.  Turns out the mine had pumped 10 fow outta the lake that night! 

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline ultralight

• IceShanty Rookie
  • .......get the gaff......
« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2005, 10:53 PM »
I'm with you Kid, Summit is 15 miles from me. Looks like i will be spending more time there. Still looking for that honey hole. Oh yea, Rico has it. Maybe we need to work on him. Have new auger and it's ready for a work out!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.