The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Yellowstone River?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline gonehunting97

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yellowstone River?
« on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:06 PM »
I was down in miles city yesterday and on the way back Inoticed the river was solid near hysham/forsyth and was wondering if anyone Icefishes the river? Was up by shawmut today and the musselshell was solid too and I'm thinking.... I might have to start fishing these little rivers anyone else have the same idea?

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Yellowstone River?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:14 PM »
I would be very leery of ice thickness. Maybe in the sloughs. I'm just chicken I guess.

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:45 PM »
I grew up in Forsyth and I would be carefull trying to ice fish the Yellowstone.  It can be solid one step and slush the next.  And if you were to go down the current will take you under the ice. :'(   

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:59 PM »
Slow back channels and pools are probably ok but anything with a fast current I just don't trust. Last year I ice fished the stone down by hysham on a foot of solid ice but it was in a shallow back channel. Just be careful and know the part of the river you're fishing

Offline fishin7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't know unless you go!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:10 AM »
Slow back channels and pools are probably ok but anything with a fast current I just don't trust. Last year I ice fished the stone down by hysham on a foot of solid ice but it was in a shallow back channel. Just be careful and know the part of the river you're fishing

Just curious, did you do any good?  I have never gave it much thought before probably because I don't trust ice on water that flows!

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:18 AM »
The whole Yellowstone to Sidney would be sketchy, unless you can find nice backwater (but I am a chicken and would still be leery). From Fairview to the Confluence in ND I have seen permanent BIG shacks on the ice though...with open water in the center of the river channel. But the river velocities and depth are a lot different down there vs. the Hysham/Miles City areas.

Offline krankbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:23 AM »
Kinda makes my butt pucker just thinking about it :unsure:
Eat...Sleep...Fish

Offline ShrimpDaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:01 PM »
River is opening up around Hysham.  I don't know if it is open at the Hysham diversion dam below the highway bridge in order to cast a minnow.   I've always wondered about ice fishing the sloughs.  Problem is, they are usually shallow with the low water.  May be able to pick up a Pike in the shallow water.  Everywhere a guy would want to punch a hole over 8-20 feet of water has current.  Takes my breath away thinking about risking it.  Shiver, shutter, Gasp!

Offline 4EVER406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2013, 02:21 AM »
Don't do it.  It's not worth the risk.  A guy I know of died on the Yellowstone at Hysham by falling through the ice within the last month.    I don't know if it was really made public or not, but he couldn't fight the current to get back on the ice so he froze his arms to the ice until help arrived.  Unfortunately, that's where they found him, froze to death.

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2013, 02:05 PM »
I would not do it.  That river can be sketchy even in a jet boat.  Now I do know some people that ice fish the Milk.  It's way colder up there though and the water is not nearly as fast.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.