The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: yellowwater/petrolia  (Read 1476 times)

Offline sturg28

• Team IceShanty Regular
yellowwater/petrolia
« on: Dec 30, 2012, 02:23 AM »
Headed up on Friday gonna try yellowwater in the am then if fishing isn't good head to pitrolia any suggestions where to fish on both lakes and bait I have never fished them thanks  ;D

Offline sturg28

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: yellowwater/petrolia
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2012, 10:44 AM »
And driving directions Google maps isn't really working it says yellowwater is in the middle of a random field and is the road fairly good to it thanks!

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2012, 11:11 AM »
The turn off to it sneaks up on you as your headed to Winnett. Its at the bottom of a small hill on the highway.  Yes, its kind of in the middle of a field.  There was a fish kill there a couple years ago. I'm not sure if its been restocked yet.  As far a petrolia, I hear that its tough ice fishing there. Maybe this time of year its ok. Or maybe this year since the water is low it would be easier to find fish.   Remember there is Payola 10miles or so north of Winnett. Not a big lake but has perch and bass in it.  Or you could get up an hour earlier and just drive to Crooked Creek. :)

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2012, 04:58 PM »
DO you need someone to go along and bait the hook too ???

Offline sturg28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2012, 05:16 PM »
Double I'm sorry its my first time fishing this lake thought I could get some information guess not.

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2012, 05:36 PM »
Hey Sturg--- Sorry if that sounded jerklike-- It wasn't meant to... seems there is a lot of people on here this year asking all sorts of info without actually trying to fish and research on their own...

I was at Yellowwater yesterday... was slow... sounded like nightcrawlers were the ticket... I can't tell ya where to go on the lake for sure cuz all we got was 2 bites in 4 hours. Past experience on yellowwater says to stay close to the dam.

Offline sturg28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2012, 05:41 PM »
Okay thanks double for the info! Just like to have some info before o venture on a new body of water!

Offline Houston

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2012, 07:03 PM »
Fished there sat used meal worms 10 ft down caught 4 keepers in 8 hour but a great day!

Offline tyrinnysaurus rex

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:22 PM »
Three of us fished Yellow Water for six hours on Monday.  Two very light hits and no fish.  Drilled about 40 holes.  I believe there are minnows down there fooling around with your bait so you just think you got a hit!!

Offline Houston

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Fished Vogel 2 hr 1 fish the lake is about 5th deep. Went to yellow water in the pm caught 5 fish great day good weather.

Offline willsee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2017, 09:23 AM »
Fished Petrolia about a week ago, slow and cold.

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:29 AM »
Sturg I've never caught anything at yellow water but I've only fished it once. Use minnows at petrolia and fish it in the early evening. That seems to be when the bites the best good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.