Author Topic: Ice Sled  (Read 24166 times)

Offline blmustfish08

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have to breath,have to fish!
Re: Ice Sled
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2008, 04:59 PM »
I am considering building a small wooden sled.  I'm thinking light, 1/4' or thinner plywood sides, maybe slightly thicker floor.  What would you use for the runners?  I suppose you could lay 2x4's on edge, but that might bog down in deep snow.  Any suggestions would be welcome!
try the bends of an old alum. lawn chair they work good.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2008, 05:52 PM »
MY IMITATION FISHTRAP

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:06 AM »
Dizzy, where do you put your auger? I see you have drilled into your sled to bolt the PVC on, any problems? I'm considering a PVC project simuliar during this thaw.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:14 AM »
Dizzy, where do you put your auger? I see you have drilled into your sled to bolt the PVC on, any problems? I'm considering a PVC project simuliar during this thaw.

Looks like the auger is peaking out of the rear right corner.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:30 AM »

mmb is correct, that's my auger in the picture sticking out from below the "super structure" as my friends jokingly call it. I jig for pannies here in PA (in the "marginal" ice belt) so a 6" dia. hand auger is all I need most years.

You are also correct, I drilled through the sled and fastened the uprights with 0.25" machine screws and wingnuts. I have a 1" pine strip in between the sled wall and PVC to take up the wall angle. No problems to report so far. The PVC has worked out great for me... VERY strong, and VERY light weight. ;)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2008, 05:04 PM »
Thanks, this warm up has me stir crazy. My PVC project is now underway. Hopefully to complete it before the ice returns???
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jmenchhofer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2008, 05:28 AM »
The bottom is 1/8" polyethylene. The sled is 3/4" Baltic birch plywood.

RG

The more I think about it, the more I would like to do something pretty similar to your design, specifically the "tub" style, with no runners.  Where would I look to find the same or similar plastic material for the bottom?  I am hoping to make the sled 24" wide. 

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 11, 2008, 11:31 PM »
I posted this pic last year in a similar topic... this was just a commercially available plastic ice sled (similar to a jet sled) that I bolted skiis to using pvc spacers and carriage bolts to avoid hang ups... the skiis are flexible enough to  not throw the gear around in the sled when making the drag from the truck to the ice

I use the rubbermaid to take food, clothes, and fishing tackle, 1 bucket for bait, and 1 for tipups... then i bungy my gas auger to the top of everything and it stays pretty well, even in travel from home to the lake
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2008, 11:59 PM »
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2008, 01:35 PM »
I just finished my sled upgrade project. I was thinking outside the sled, with tip-ups, to allow for more room on the bottom of the sled for more bulky, heavy items. Lack of ice can do some strange things to the idle mind of fisherman!

Keep America Godly...

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2008, 03:39 PM »

Here's my "passenger model" sled.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2008, 06:50 AM »
Nice job hawgerdawger....simple and functional. Great idea on the rod storage as well  ;D...WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 24, 2008, 03:09 PM »

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #43 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:12 AM »
The standard Jet Sled isn't always the answer under certain conditions.  I went out yesterday after about 6 inches of heavy snow and when pulling my jet sled out to my spot the snow was sticking to the bottom of the sled and made it very hard to pull.  I stopped several times and took everything out and cleaned the bottom but it didn't seem to help.  I am going to have to come up with a runner system to make this easy to pull all the time.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:37 AM »
A little silicone spray on the bottom would help.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #45 on: Feb 27, 2008, 09:59 AM »
Does that silicon have to be applied everytime you go out or does it last a week or so.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 27, 2008, 05:11 PM »
The standard Jet Sled isn't always the answer under certain conditions.  I went out yesterday after about 6 inches of heavy snow and when pulling my jet sled out to my spot the snow was sticking to the bottom of the sled and made it very hard to pull.  I stopped several times and took everything out and cleaned the bottom but it didn't seem to help.  I am going to have to come up with a runner system to make this easy to pull all the time.
Poorcollegeboy above is onto something.

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:47 PM »
Poorcollegeboy above is onto something.

somebody thinks im special other than my mother... hahaha... i rigged that one up after fishing a lake that had 2 feet of fresh snow on it.  Let me tell you that was the most miserable day of fishing ever... well not so much the fishing, but getting to the fish.  didnt help i was hanging out with my friends jim and jack the night before either
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Feb 28, 2008, 01:57 PM »
Check out this bad boy..(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
Wasnt too hard to build.. Lots of TLC..
SC
Nice sled but looks too heavy for my wife to drag!

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Mar 03, 2008, 01:56 PM »
My plan was to come up with something that could haul ALL of my gear, even through the deepest snow, so it had to be light.
The skin is 1/8 Luan and frame is 1x1" pine.   I added a windbreaker for the days when you don't need a shanty but just want to get out of the wind.

Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #50 on: Mar 22, 2008, 03:07 PM »
mine.

poorcollegeboy, try silicone spray on the bottom, or wax. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 23, 2008, 05:47 AM »
After looking at these designs, there appear to be two distinctly different designs. One for ice with little snow, and one for ice with a stupid amount of snow. Virtually anything will go on plain old ice. But snow is different as the sled has got to be up a foot or so. Perhaps I've been approaching this problem wrong in that I keep trying to incorporate the Jet Sled into the design. What if I were to forget the Jet Sled, and start with a box up on curved pipe? I am then left with the problem of portability. I have to fit this thing into the trunk and back seat of my car like the Jet Sled. Making it collapsible is now the design problem. Perhaps strap hinges, that lock and unlock in place, where the box attaches to the runners? How come some manufacturer doesn't just figure this thing out and sell me a better Jet Sled for cheap?     

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #52 on: Mar 23, 2008, 07:47 AM »
i will put mine up on 2x8's next season. i paid the price this year! there is another thread that might be what you're looking for grumpy. i'll see if i can find it, and bring it back to the top. ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 23, 2008, 08:59 AM »
i will put mine up on 2x8's next season. i paid the price this year! there is another thread that might be what you're looking for grumpy. i'll see if i can find it, and bring it back to the top. ;D
I Saw the other article. They have nothing collapsable either. Thanks.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #54 on: Mar 23, 2008, 09:05 AM »
there was one that was a platform for a jet sled. i couldn't find it, but it would probably fit in the trunk.

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Apr 01, 2008, 07:04 AM »

How does the windbreaker do in strong wind?  What is the windbreaker made of?
Thanks
 :tipup: :tipup:

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Apr 14, 2008, 06:18 PM »
Nice sled working on one will show pics when it is done, building it with no plans. Ideas as they come
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Apr 14, 2008, 07:07 PM »

Here's my "passenger model" sled.

what are the dimenions of your box?

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Dec 30, 2008, 12:14 PM »
I did some modifications to my set sled to make life a little tangle free.

If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 05, 2009, 03:30 PM »
I did some modifications to my set sled to make life a little tangle free.
Is that a jet sled jr pikeking?
Take a kid ice fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.