Author Topic: Ice Sled  (Read 24167 times)

Offline icefisherjaydogg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Living The Dream
Ice Sled
« on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:16 PM »
Does anyone have any plans for an ice sled or know where I can find plans for an ice sled.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
Re: Ice Sled
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:21 PM »
define ice sled.... i have a jet sled jr, reg and xl.  if you got the room the xl is cool. also look at otter products. not sure this is the "sled" your looking for but i love mine!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline icefisherjaydogg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Living The Dream
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:35 PM »
define ice sled.... i have a jet sled jr, reg and xl.  if you got the room the xl is cool. also look at otter products. not sure this is the "sled" your looking for but i love mine!

Oh sorry I didn't clearify. i want something to pull behind me with ski's a place to put my bucket and auger. Nothing fancy. Maybe a spot for a lantern.

Offline Whitefish Slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2008, 07:50 PM »
We use a homemade sled.. Welded Aluminum for east transport and pulling...  We've got 3 ski's on it and it's wide enough to hold a Clam 5600 along with the auger, bait, stove, propane, pretty much anything else... A few bungee's go along way on it
I've also got a small wooden one that hold bucket ,propane, auger..

you can be pretty creative with a homemade one

Offline jmenchhofer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:37 PM »
I am considering building a small wooden sled.  I'm thinking light, 1/4' or thinner plywood sides, maybe slightly thicker floor.  What would you use for the runners?  I suppose you could lay 2x4's on edge, but that might bog down in deep snow.  Any suggestions would be welcome!

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:42 PM »
I"ve seen a lot of sleds made of 1/2" conduit that is bent with a conduit bender. Most electricians or plumbers may let you use it. Slides easy and fairly light weight.  Lou

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:30 PM »
Here's mine...no plans. I just built it.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Wow nice sled, how long did it take to build.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:39 PM »
Oh, I don't know.Didn't seem that long. It was a lot of fun.

Point is...we ice fishers are very inventive and many of us build our own. If you venture onto the ice you'll see more home made stuff that actually works than you can imagine. I've seen everything from a big Ice chest with skis to solid mahogany, hand rubbed to a mirror finish.

Build your own the way you want it to be.

RG 
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2008, 10:21 PM »
RG's right.  I've seen more inventive stuff out on the ice than I've seen anywhere else.  Ice fisherman are always trying to build a better mouse trap. 

Just thought I'd throw this in to the inventive mix - If you're building a sled intended to carry buckets, you don't need to add any weight by adding sides.  Just take old worn out or cracked five gallon pails, cut the bottom 4"-5" off of them and cut a slit down the side of the bottom piece of the pail.  Attach this to your sled and your fishing buckets will slide right into them.  The plastic pail bottoms hold fishing pails nice and snug.  I've drug sleds set up this way through swamps, over ridges and down hills and never had a pail come loose. 

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline salmoncandy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:03 PM »
Check out this bad boy..

Wasnt too hard to build.. Lots of TLC..
SC

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:13 PM »
Check out this bad boy..(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
SC

I love it , unbelievable. What are the dimensions? On a side note, how about West Virgina Mountaineers 48-28 over Oklahoma.

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:14 PM »
that's sick SC!  Aluminum?  How much she weigh loaded and empty?

Don

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:09 AM »
Check out this bad boy..(Image removed from quote.)
SC
As the Lindners would say...NOW DAT'S A NICE SLED!!!!!!!... ;D...WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:26 AM »
If you just want something quick, cheap and E-Z.... for years I used one of those kids plastic boat type sleds with a Plywood top and holes cut for buckets. Just lay the sled upside down on a piece of 1/4" or 1/2" plywood...trace out the boat and cut it out with a jigsaw. After you have done that, drill some 1/4" holes at intervals around the perimeter of the boat's lip through both the boat and plywood and use "eye bolts" so you have something to attach bungees to if you want to strap anything down. Trace out the bottom of a bucket in two (or three) places in the plywood and cut it out a quarter inch or so larger than the diameter you traced out. Now you can slip the 5-gal. buckets with your gear into the holes and they will stand up by themselves and stay in place while you pull the sled. Just attach a drag rope to the front and your good to go!...WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline limpbait

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2008, 06:25 AM »
a couple of fruit crates and garage sale waterskies, take the keels off, that should get you started...

Offline Exile

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cooking a Litlle Venie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:32 AM »
Guys those are 2 nice sleds!!
Only in the U.P.  (You can take man out of the U.P. but can't take the U.P. out of the Man)

Offline Greenglo_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He who has the most toys wins!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2008, 10:57 AM »

I have the large Jet sled and am thinking of getting the Jr. . Do you use yours much And when mostly? Thanks Bob
He who has the most toys wins!!!!!

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:14 AM »
Here's a (simple?) expansion that I did on my Jet Sled Jr last winter... nothing too radical; PVC for the structure and plywood decking (painted Petty blue). Just designed it around the gear that I have with a little room for expansion. Currently working on a lantern holder which I wil mount on the PVC upright opposite of my transducer holster.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2008, 11:47 AM »
Nice.  I use a jet sled as well.  I just pile all my stuff in it and go.  I also use it for deer season, to help haul out the future venison sausage and peperoni.

kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:38 PM »
Here's a (simple?) expansion that I did on my Jet Sled Jr last winter... nothing too radical; PVC for the structure and plywood decking (painted Petty blue). Just designed it around the gear that I have with a little room for expansion. Currently working on a lantern holder which I wil mount on the PVC upright opposite of my transducer holster.

Nice sled you could put detatchable pvc out riggers to prevent tiping over and for possible handles you got a lot of nice gear you want it  to stay around nice job.

Offline jmenchhofer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2008, 06:41 PM »
Those are some sweet sleds!  :o  rgfixit, what material did you use for your floor?  I was thinking of building something remotely similar, using 3/4" pine sides and aluminum coil stock for the bottom.  I'm just not sure how durable the aluminum would be.  I started thinking of building my own sled because I'm too tight to buy a Jet Sled and pay for shipping, but now I really want to build my own so that I can customize it to be able to do exactly what I want it to do.  8)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Jan 04, 2008, 03:01 PM »
The bottom is 1/8" polyethylene. The sled is 3/4" Baltic birch plywood.

RG

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #23 on: Jan 04, 2008, 04:34 PM »
Those are two awesome looking sleds!

:thumbsup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline CHICKENFOOT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 04, 2008, 04:58 PM »
some great ideas, good project for the off season

Offline thechief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:42 PM »
Those are two awesome looking sleds!

:thumbsup:
NBG

I AGREE!!!!!!!!

Offline rch105

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2008, 08:56 PM »
Can anyone come up with some overall dimensions? The L x W x H would be most helpful.  I stopped at a local ski rental shop and the owner went in the back and brought out a pair of skis with bindings, I asked him how much and he said, "Here, take them, you saved me a trip to the dumpster".  Then said, "Drop off a fillet if you get any".  Now that's decent!   ;D

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2008, 07:20 AM »
rch105, that's cool!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2008, 02:22 PM »
salmoncandy...that has to be the (mona lisa) of all the ice sleds...

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2008, 07:28 PM »
Buy a plastic mortar box at home depot,  about $10, add a hunk of rope.
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.