The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Thank you guys for helping make Jaw Jacker’s legal in Pennsylvania.  (Read 3273 times)

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hey guys. I’m sure most of you have heard that today around one thirtyish the fish commission unanimously approved the use of jaw Jacker‘s here in Pa.They also approved planer boards and down Riggers. I believe by categorizing down Riggers,planer boards ,and jaw jackers into one group that the fish commission really listened  to our argument. To  the 17 people that voiced their opinion via phone to help  make this possible, thank you. I am proud to say that our voices were heard so much so that they were willing to work with us in changing and clarifying the law.

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Nice job!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Minnesota could use that kind of help!! :thumbsup: :flex: :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Edge 23

• IceShanty Rookie
Great news !

Offline TIME2FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
The Jawjackers are not legal -YET! 

Fish&Boat Law Enforcement submitted Jawjackers for approval by the Commission today.

Recommendation: Staff recommend the Commission approve the publication of a notice of proposed rulemaking containing the amendment described in the Commentary.
If approved on final rulemaking, the amendment will go into effect upon publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.

See page 37:

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Fish&Boat Agenda -Pg. 37 JawJjackers

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yep! Not lawful yet................... but should only be a formality at this point.

BIG THANKS to all involved in getting us this far!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Captn66

• Team IceShanty Regular
it was nice to see the inclusion of the jigging model as well.  I had this thought in the back of my mind that they'd take the attitude that the PGC had for so long towards motorized decoys.

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
Did they publish this in the pa bulletin yet ?

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I still think you jawjacker guys are a bunch of cheaters!  :roflmao:

They will be legal. Good work to all those that called in and went to meetings to voice their concerns!  :thumbsup:

Offline Flyboyroy35

• IceShanty Rookie
I was talking with some of the fish and boat guys last week.  It's a done deal.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I still think you jawjacker guys are a bunch of cheaters!  :roflmao:

😝😝😝
Where's the FISH?!

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
can we try and get gill nets for under the ice legal too? it doesn't set the hook. HEHEHEHEHEHe

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
They are called "self hooking devices". There are other companies making these devices and I don't think we should give JJ free advertisement or hurt other companies who may advertise on our site
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
They are called "self hooking devices". There are other companies making these devices and I don't think we should give JJ free advertisement or hurt other companies who may advertise on our site

You’re kidding, right?! You CAN’T be serious..............  ???
Where's the FISH?!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
wow. I really don't know what to say. Free advertisement. We've been discussing this issue since last year and finally through some hard work buy several people the PFBC has made this type of tool legal in PA and actually names this specific piece of equipment. I don't see where this has to do with any sponsors and we are allowed to discuss anything we want. I just wonder who the hell do yo think you are to try and tell us what we can and can't discuss?

So only the JawJacker brand is legal in your state?
There are better brands out there of self setting rod holders.
Would be a shame for you guys not to be able to use these other brands.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
So only the JawJacker brand is legal in your state?
There are better brands out there of self setting rod holders.
Would be a shame for you guys not to be able to use these other brands.

Summary book states it as " Self-hooking devices such as jaw jackers and automated fisherman
are allowed. "

The issue started because PFBC started harassing ice fisherman when using jaw jackers which are readily available here and sold in the state. They made a statement specifying jaw jackers as being unlawful.

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
Awesome to hear you got it approved! Fishermen need all the tools they can and it's just another tool in the toolbox if you ask me. I own a few and use them on and off but I wouldn't say having one is a game changing advantage.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It’s a game changer as far as hooking in the jaw is concerned............. ....(compared to the fish getting gut hooked by tipups!  ;))
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Only had the problem a few times and usually it was on a fish I was keeping anyway. Either way, they should have been ok from the start, it just seemed to me that the pfbc was being petty... not that they or the pgc have ever been like that before. ::)

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
Ruttnut- Think so? I love seeing a tip-up go off and coming to the hole and seeing that spool just slowly taking off... With the Jawjacker you get one shot. If they bite soft the jawjacker is louder than any missed jerk and usually they don't come back. That all being said I do use them and yes they do work very well when it all goes right haha. Why is it you gut hook more frequently with a tip up?

Spider1- Pinepigs being petty?! never!  ;D ;D
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Just the "nature of the beast" Kilsdonk. The JawJacker sets the hook before the fish can swallow the bait. Very hard to do that by hand.................. .......unless you just happen to be standing there when the fish takes the bait on a tipup.

I tend to practice catch and release on most of the fish i catch, so I don't want to be gut hooking fish. Haven;t been since I switched to JawJackers............ ....  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
noooooo... never...

With a tip-up you usually wait for the fish to fully take the bait and sometimes don't get to the tip-up until the fish gets to swallow the bait, doesn't really happen that often but sometimes it does. With the jacker the hook is set as soon as the fish takes the bait. It hooks them in the mouth or it's a clean miss.

When I am using a tip up I'm usually fishing for pickerel or pike. Little ones usually tend to get hooked in their mouths cuz they take the bait and run like crazy. Big toothies will hang out more cuz they know their bad and don't need to snatch and run. I keep them anyway so if I have to I'll get my hook back later.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
You’re kidding, right?! You CAN’T be serious..............  ???
I am serious. But you can call them anything you want. You can call them JJ, you can call them af, you can call them ahd, maybe we should call them a cab. Lol. I respect your post and supported your effort 100%
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes thank you all, now can we please bury all the Jaw Jackers threads forever? ???

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I bought a JJ a few years ago. Used it 1 time. Seemed like a lot of hassel  to set up & put away. I returned it to cabelas. Im more of a jigging & dead stick kind of guy. I own several Tipups . Never take them. Another hassel them things. I call them bait wasters  :tipup:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I am serious. But you can call them anything you want. You can call them JJ, you can call them af, you can call them ahd, maybe we should call them a cab. Lol. I respect your post and supported you effort 100%

Why thank you sir- that’s very kind of you!  ;)

I will continue to call them JawJackers............ ... because that’s what they are and that’s what I use. I hope that doesn’t offend anyone!   ::)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I bought a JJ a few years ago. Used it 1 time. Seemed like a lot of hassel  to set up & put away. I returned it to cabelas. Im more of a jigging & dead stick kind of guy. I own several Tipups . Never take them. Another hassel them things. I call them bait wasters  :tipup:
That's perfectly fine and you're entitled to your opinion.
And you can use whatever style fishing fits you.
As long as you don't try and ban them so that no one else can use them. Especially to the people that find them very helpful.
We used to have a bunch of Pike lakes that were five lines each person.
Kind of hard to manage five individual rods.
But tip ups sure we're a great way to put a bunch of nice fish on the ice.
Jig with one rod and run four tip-ups a piece made for a really fun day.
We caught an awful lot of fish on those tip ups.
And they were all rigged with dead bait aa no live bait was allowed
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.