Author Topic: Tiger musky coming to a high mountain lake not near you  (Read 1119 times)

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Dont know how these will survive the high mountain lakes but it will be a surpries on the end of an ultra light set up or a 3wt fly rod in the future thats for sure.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46622774/heres-why-tiger-muskies-can-now-be-found-in-3-of-utahs-higher-elevated-lakes
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tiger musky coming to a high mountain lake not near you
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Seems like a overpopulated trout fishery  would benefit from a more liberal limit. Not sure how muskies will fare in the winter in a mountain lake.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2019, 06:44 PM »
Muskies will be fine in cold water. Tigers (musky x pike hybrids) are very hardy. Pike do well in the far, far North. Think Alaska and northern Saskatchewan. Don't grow fast but do well and get big given the time. Tigers generally won't reproduce so the population is very controllable. Neither muskies or (especially) pike are known as "warm water" fish. Big pike in particular prefer cool water most of the time. Muskies like it slightly warmer.

Enjoy your new "residents" and expect to lose a few rigs to the toothies  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2019, 07:51 AM »
Pike do well in the far, far North. Think Alaska and northern Saskatchewan.
True that!  I was stationed at King Salmon, AK for a year where it got down to -50*F during the winter.  We caught pike by the tons up there.  High mountain lakes won't create any major difficulties for the hybrids here.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.