The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 228875 times)

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #510 on: Dec 21, 2015, 07:53 PM »
He can use his own poles but he needs to have his name on each rod setup if using more than two, same with you

And, in addition to what appleye says, if the youth angler does have his own set of poles they have to set them out, bait them, tend them and fight the fish caught on those poles.

ClearCreek

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #511 on: Dec 21, 2015, 08:16 PM »
man you guys are awesome! we do a lot of fishing up that way during the summer (glendo, grayrocks, and pathfinder), but are just getting into the ice thing over there since there seems to be none here :) I sure do appreciate all the comments, don't want to get caught with my pants down!

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #512 on: Dec 23, 2015, 09:28 AM »
my question is what is the over all perch population in Hattie or twin buttes. has any studies be done in last couple of year, any plans on stocking any or habit improvement. I remember the good ol days of hattie and twin buttes and would love to see these fisheries back to the glory days.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline bsrkoacar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #513 on: Jan 03, 2016, 10:54 AM »
What are the chances of North Crow res being managed as a trophy tiger Muskie fishery? 1 fish over 36" minimum? It seems that Wyoming is missing out on a true trophy tiger Muskie fishery.

Offline akaakira

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #514 on: Jan 03, 2016, 12:19 PM »
Years ago, I remember seeing flathead catfish listed as an available fish species in the North Platte River below Dave Johnston and then down to Glendo. We even have a state record for flatheads. However, you don't see them in any of the Game & Fish publications, or anywhere, for that matter. What happened to them? Thanks.

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #515 on: Jan 05, 2016, 03:31 PM »
my question is what is the over all perch population in Hattie or twin buttes. has any studies be done in last couple of year, any plans on stocking any or habit improvement. I remember the good ol days of hattie and twin buttes and would love to see these fisheries back to the glory days.

Dear Dirty P,

Our Fish Management Crew samples both Lake Hattie and Twin Buttes Reservoir on a frequent basis to continually evaluate our stocking strategies and the overall "health" of the fishery, i.e. average length, weight, condition of fish species present. We sample at the same sites and use the same gear every time we sample so our results are comparable across years. In terms of specific studies on Yellow Perch, there have not been any completed, but we have been tracking their relative abundance over the last number of decades through our regular sampling. Two strong year classes in 2003 and 2004 contributed to the strong Yellow Perch fishery in 2006 and 2007.  It is possible the strong 2004 year class created an overabundance of Yellow Perch ≥ 8 and ≤ 9 inches, which was evident in the 2007 and 2008 samples.  The consecutive strong Yellow Perch year-classes in 2003 and 2004 may have be competing for the same food resources, creating this bottle neck of 8-9 inch perch. The data supports the fact, just like other Yellow Perch fisheries, that the Lake Hattie Yellow Perch population exhibits variable recruitment, which leads to an inconsistent fishery. Another factor that may have caused a drastic reduction in the Yellow Perch population was the dramatic increase in the water level at Lake Hattie.  Based on our sampling data the relative abundance of perch remained consistent from 2004 through 2010, but the 2011 data showed a dramatic decline in perch numbers, which corresponds to an increase of >30 vertical feet of water added to the reservoir. The reservoir water level has remained somewhat consistent since then and our sampling data in 2015 showed an increase in the numbers of perch in the reservoir, with nearly half of the Yellow Perch captured in sampling gear in 2015 were >12 inches. If these large adults can reproduce successfully in enough numbers that some juvenile perch can survive to a size to escape predation, there may be an increase the in perch population over the next couple of years. Twin Buttes Reservoir receives its water from Lake Hattie and will get perch when there are enough numbers in Lake Hattie that enough perch get sucked down the canal and enter Twin Buttes. Habitat improvement in Lake Hattie is very difficult to plan for with the variable water levels and habitat structures added to the reservoir would take up storage space for water which the water rights are held by the Pioneer Canal District and Wheatland Irrigation District.

Hope this helps a little bit, if you have further questions or what to discuss this more, feel free to send me a message on this site.

Sincerely,

WGFDFishBioLaramie     

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #516 on: Jan 05, 2016, 03:36 PM »
What are the chances of North Crow res being managed as a trophy tiger Muskie fishery? 1 fish over 36" minimum? It seems that Wyoming is missing out on a true trophy tiger Muskie fishery.

Dear bsrkoacar,

Our Laramie Fish Management Crew is going to evaluate the growth and diet of the tiger muskies at North Crow. In addition, we will monitor catch rates and harvest rates, once tiger muskies reach the current legal size of 30 inches.  I am concerned about the tiger muskie in North Crow being caught and harvested at 30 inches, which is well before they really have the opportunity to grow to a large size and therefore eat more suckers.  Tiger muskies, in general, can be tough fish to catch, but if this proves to be the opposite at North Crow we would for sure considered a change to the regulation at North Crow. However, if catch rates are low for tiger muskies, there may not be a need to change the regulation.  Stay tuned...

Sincerely,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #517 on: Jan 06, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Dear Dirty P,

Our Fish Management Crew samples both Lake Hattie and Twin Buttes Reservoir on a frequent basis to continually evaluate our stocking strategies and the overall "health" of the fishery, i.e. average length, weight, condition of fish species present. We sample at the same sites and use the same gear every time we sample so our results are comparable across years. In terms of specific studies on Yellow Perch, there have not been any completed, but we have been tracking their relative abundance over the last number of decades through our regular sampling. Two strong year classes in 2003 and 2004 contributed to the strong Yellow Perch fishery in 2006 and 2007.  It is possible the strong 2004 year class created an overabundance of Yellow Perch ≥ 8 and ≤ 9 inches, which was evident in the 2007 and 2008 samples.  The consecutive strong Yellow Perch year-classes in 2003 and 2004 may have be competing for the same food resources, creating this bottle neck of 8-9 inch perch. The data supports the fact, just like other Yellow Perch fisheries, that the Lake Hattie Yellow Perch population exhibits variable recruitment, which leads to an inconsistent fishery. Another factor that may have caused a drastic reduction in the Yellow Perch population was the dramatic increase in the water level at Lake Hattie.  Based on our sampling data the relative abundance of perch remained consistent from 2004 through 2010, but the 2011 data showed a dramatic decline in perch numbers, which corresponds to an increase of >30 vertical feet of water added to the reservoir. The reservoir water level has remained somewhat consistent since then and our sampling data in 2015 showed an increase in the numbers of perch in the reservoir, with nearly half of the Yellow Perch captured in sampling gear in 2015 were >12 inches. If these large adults can reproduce successfully in enough numbers that some juvenile perch can survive to a size to escape predation, there may be an increase the in perch population over the next couple of years. Twin Buttes Reservoir receives its water from Lake Hattie and will get perch when there are enough numbers in Lake Hattie that enough perch get sucked down the canal and enter Twin Buttes. Habitat improvement in Lake Hattie is very difficult to plan for with the variable water levels and habitat structures added to the reservoir would take up storage space for water which the water rights are held by the Pioneer Canal District and Wheatland Irrigation District.

Hope this helps a little bit, if you have further questions or what to discuss this more, feel free to send me a message on this site.

Sincerely,

WGFDFishBioLaramie   
Thank you for taking time to help anwser question on this site, it helps us become more informed of what the g/f does for the fisheries around wyoming. Too often i hear folks complain about the g/f, but let me say keep up the good work.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #518 on: Jan 06, 2016, 12:29 PM »
Thanks for all the great information.

Offline mark d.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #519 on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:49 PM »
Why don't we have more family friendly fun fish to catch in the south west part of the state I know we want a trophy trout area but what would it hurt to have bluegill and crappie to catch especially in Bridger pond and big Sandy

Offline mark d.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #520 on: Jan 06, 2016, 04:51 PM »
Also what's the resent plan on catfish.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #521 on: Jan 07, 2016, 03:40 PM »
Why don't we have more family friendly fun fish to catch in the south west part of the state I know we want a trophy trout area but what would it hurt to have bluegill and crappie to catch especially in Bridger pond and big Sandy
Thanks for the question. This is the response from the Green River supervisor.

Two reasons:
1)  It is always a gamble when agencies or people introduce new species.  There are countless examples across the nation where well intentioned introductions have ruined fisheries.  The illegal introduction of burbot to the Green River drainage serves as a graphic example of what can happen.  West of the continental divide Burbot are jeopardizing both sport and native fish populations throughout the drainage in Wyoming. They are also expanding well beyond the original locations they were illegally introduced.
2) All of the states in the Colorado River drainage, including Wyoming, have signed an agreement regarding the fish species stocking in waters that are connected to the Colorado River.  The Green River drainage eventually flows to the Colorado River.  The agreement is an effort to reduce the impacts of stocked fish on the 4 endangered Colorado River fishes.  Some species can not be stocked and other species can only be stocked through a lengthy process.  It would be a challenge to get approval for stocking may of the warm water species like bluegill and crappie.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #522 on: Jan 07, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Also what's the resent plan on catfish.
Thanks for the question. This is the response from the Green River supervisor.

In recent years because of invasive species concerns (zebra mussels, quagga mussels and the like) it have become difficult for The Wyoming Game and Fish to find clean sources of channel catfish to trade for.  The limited number of channel catfish that the Wyoming Game and Fish has been able to trade for are being used east of the continental divide.  The availability of clean sources of channel catfish is not likely to improve any time soon.

Offline mark d.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #523 on: Jan 07, 2016, 04:16 PM »
Thank you very much

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #524 on: Jan 07, 2016, 05:50 PM »
Is there any food for the walleye in Hawk Springs? What is the condition of the walleye. Does the high angler pressure fish the lake out? It was very poor for a long time, then the water came back and it was very good for two years. Been dead again for about two years.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #525 on: Jan 07, 2016, 07:03 PM »
I think the real question is this:  What happened to the perch in Hawk Springs?  I haven't heard of or seen a perch come from there in years... and I noticed the fishing went down hill fast when the perch disappeared.  There is likely very little or no natural reproduction with the walleye so if the lake was fished out (walleye) the answer is simple in my opinion, stock more! 

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #526 on: Jan 07, 2016, 09:05 PM »
Im curious if it was sampled this year and what the populations and size of the gamefish are and if there is any forage available.

Offline minnow12

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I live to Jig
« Reply #527 on: Jan 12, 2016, 06:01 PM »

Hi I caught this fish on Bass lake too me it looks like a walleye but some other users say its a hybrid I am not sure do you know what it is.  All the other small perch I caught had the vertical bars but this one doesn't.
thanks

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #528 on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:51 PM »
Perch

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #529 on: Jan 12, 2016, 08:43 PM »
Interesting!  No teeth?  Could be a perch that lost his stripes like flag chaser said.  Cool!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #530 on: Jan 13, 2016, 03:31 PM »
Is there any food for the walleye in Hawk Springs? What is the condition of the walleye. Does the high angler pressure fish the lake out? It was very poor for a long time, then the water came back and it was very good for two years. Been dead again for about two years.

Dear Hump and GemCitySlayer,

The walleye population at Hawk Springs Reservoir is sustained through stocking.  It was thought that natural reproduction might sustain the population and stocking ceased from 2003 through 2008, but we quickly learned that natural reproduction was not enough.  Annual walleye stocking resumed in 2009, with 80,000 fingerlings and 80,000 fingerlings were also stocked in 2010, 2011, 2012.  Walleye catch rates really increased by 2010 and remained high for some years, however, anglers started to report skinny walleye and that same trend became apparent in our sampling data by 2012.  Walleye are obtained from other states and were not available in 2013 and 2014, and the decision was made that once walleye were available to stock 40,000 annually.  40,000 were stocked in 2015 and sampling in 2015 showed an increase in the condition of captured walleye, but a noticeable reduction in their abundance, due to the lack of stocking. We are expecting better walleye catch rates this coming spring and we are hoping that walleye are available to stock in 2016 to start to rebuild their abundance in the reservoir.  We have observed numerous small gizzard shad annually and believe the forage is still adequate for the walleye, catfish, crappie in the reservoir.  GemCitySlayer asked about yellow perch. Our sampling gear has not captured any yellow perch since 2011.  It is possible that the numerous number of walleye stocked from 2009 through 2012 contributed to the noticeable decline in the perch population.  It’s possible that perch may rebound since walleye were not stocked in 2013 and 2014.  Give us a call this fall to find out about our annual sampling results. 

Sincerely,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline hump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #531 on: Jan 14, 2016, 11:08 PM »
Thanks. Sounds like the walleye helped fish the Lake out.

Offline mark d.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #532 on: Jan 18, 2016, 01:00 PM »
What fish are being stocked in area#4 reservoirs?

Offline mark d.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #533 on: Jan 18, 2016, 01:01 PM »
And what happened to small mouth in Bridger pond?

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #534 on: Jan 18, 2016, 02:43 PM »
EDIT: My question here was answered on facebook so I deleted my question.  Thanks!

Offline thirdeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #535 on: Jan 21, 2016, 01:29 PM »
Does Wyoming have any restrictions for using a combination of beads and spinners above the hook, on the leader section of a tip-up line? 

In 2014 there were GF notices regarding bead placement in relation to a hook, but I recall that was viewed as a snagging technique, has a formal decision been made on that as well?

Example of tip-up leaders:

~thirdeye~

Offline Nezlugh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #536 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:29 AM »
WYGF took a picture of  my burbot I entered in the Burbot Bash this week end at Buckboard station. Is there anyway to get a copy of the pic? Had no idea I would place and I didn't take one myself.

Offline mark d.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #537 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:13 PM »
And what happened to small mouth in Bridger pond?

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #538 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:18 PM »
This is not a question so I'm breaking the rules...

But I just wanted to thank the Game and Fish and the individuals who answer our questions on here.  We are fortunate to be able to reach out to them on a forum like this and ask them questions... I really appreciate it and I know everyone else does too - so thank you!!!!

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #539 on: Jan 26, 2016, 08:03 PM »
This is not a question so I'm breaking the rules...

But I just wanted to thank the Game and Fish and the individuals who answer our questions on here.  We are fortunate to be able to reach out to them on a forum like this and ask them questions... I really appreciate it and I know everyone else does too - so thank you!!!!
I'll let it slide just this one time...    ;)
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.