The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 228904 times)

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #450 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:19 AM »
As I understand, in the 1970s or 80s Ohrid trout were stocked in wy.
I saw a picture on facebook a couple weeks ago from Desmet of 2 "browns" that looked a whole  lot like Yugo's to me.
Were Ohrid trout ever stocked in Desmet back years ago?

Thanks.

Offline theo9805

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #451 on: Jan 28, 2015, 03:26 PM »
I'll throw up another one quickly that has been on my mind.  Some states have websites you can go to and look and see what species were stocked, when, and how many in every body of water in that particular state.  I love this feature (use it often in Utah). 

Is there any chance we could see a feature like this for Wyoming?  It sure is nice being able to see what new species are stocked each year, how many, etc....  Helps plan future fishing trips.

+1

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #452 on: Jan 28, 2015, 08:14 PM »
I apologize if this topic has already been covered. But here we go....

Can you guys tell me why corn is now allowed as bait ? The whys and I would like to know if fish ( Trout) can digest it.

My friend caught a nice rainbow Sunday on Viva Naughton. When he gutted it, it's stomach was PACKED FULL of corn! We could not believe how of the stuff was in this fish.

I hate to bring this up again. I know it's opening a can... but I just can't understand why this " Bait " has become legal. 

Thanks in advanced    :tipup:

Wyo Ice

RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #453 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Thank you for answering our questions.  And thank you for continuing to stock Tiger Trout in WY!  They've quickly become my favorite trout to target... very aggressive fish that grows fast what else can you ask for.

My question:  The game and fish recently stocked 9,000 tiger trout fingerlings in The Narrows (SW WY).  I believe you guys stocked them in one other lake besides High Savery Reservoir (South Central WY). 

At this point in time, what other lakes have received Tiger Trout and what is the future of Tiger Trout in WY?  Looks like the trend might be to stock them in more waters.
Thanks for the question. Tiger trout have certainly become more popular in recent years and our hatchery system has improved the success of egg eye-up and hatching as well, so they are able to meet our requests. Here is the list. In the Green River region: Woodruff Res, Viva Naughton Res, Jim Bridger Pond, Naughton Plant Pond, High Savery Res, and Dirty Man Creek. In the Laramie Region: East Allen Lake. In the Lander Region: Upper Silas Lake, and Smith Lake. In the Sheridan Region: Cloud Peak Res, Willow Park Res, Weston Res, and Cook Lake.

In most cases, tiger trout were/are stocked in waters that are in need of a predator. Whether it's to prey upon stunted trout (Willow Park, Cloud Peak, Weston) or to prey upon undesirable fish such as suckers (High Savery). They can grow quickly and grow to large sizes (11+ pound state record from High Savery), but the future of using them in other waters will likely depend on how well they perform in these recently stocked waters. Hope this helps.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #454 on: Jan 29, 2015, 08:53 AM »
I'll throw up another one quickly that has been on my mind.  Some states have websites you can go to and look and see what species were stocked, when, and how many in every body of water in that particular state.  I love this feature (use it often in Utah). 

Is there any chance we could see a feature like this for Wyoming?  It sure is nice being able to see what new species are stocked each year, how many, etc....  Helps plan future fishing trips.
Another good question. The way I understand it, we will be exploring ways to improve our website to make it more user friendly. We are also talking about including links to regional pages. We have discussed what should go on these regional pages and one idea was a stocking list. This is still in the works, but I will try to keep folks updated if this comes to fruition.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #455 on: Jan 29, 2015, 09:19 AM »
As I understand, in the 1970s or 80s Ohrid trout were stocked in wy.
I saw a picture on facebook a couple weeks ago from Desmet of 2 "browns" that looked a whole  lot like Yugo's to me.
Were Ohrid trout ever stocked in Desmet back years ago?

Thanks.
Possible, but not 100% sure. I looked up all of our stocking records for DeSmet, dating back to the 40's. Brown trout were stocked numerous times through the 80's and early 90's and periodically since. But there was no mention of strain of brown trout. The Ohrids were from Ohrid Lake in Yugoslavia. WGFD developed a brood stock and they were stocked in several places, but after several years there was no return to the sampling gear or to anglers, thus we discontinued the brood stock. One thing to remember, brown trout are native to Europe. And similar to rainbow, there are different strains (e.g., German, Ohrid, Yugoslavian). Hope this helps.

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Is Paliades Reservoir stocked?
« Reply #456 on: Feb 03, 2015, 12:58 PM »
I have read Game and Fish has not stocked the reservoir since the 1970's ?

Dear icepisces,

The WGFD Fish Biologist out of Jackson in charge of the management of Palisades Reservoir wanted me to relay this message to you:

Palisades Reservoir is stocked every year with Snake River cutthroat trout.  This is a joint venture between Wyoming Game and Fish, Idaho Fish and Game, and the Fish and Wildlife Service.  In the past, 300,000 fingerling cutthroat were stocked each year, however, we never saw these fish returning to anglers.  Two years ago, we reduced the number of fish stocked to 100,000 but began stocking larger, 4 inch fish.  We are still waiting to see if these fish will be more available to anglers.

Thanks for your question,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline WyOhawkeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #457 on: Feb 03, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Any chance of making some sense of the minnow situation in wyoming if info could be made available on what farms are approved for distributing flatheads could they be sold anywhere like cheyenne, wheatland etc.  another thing from what I understand flatheads don't get over 3 inches and only eat plankton so they wouldnt hurt trout they would only be food.  I know they are great to get a pond going after stocking so what would they hurt. It just really sucks to have to drive to Douglas or sometimes glendo to get minnows they are the best ice fishing bait bar none in my opinion.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #458 on: Feb 05, 2015, 04:10 PM »
Any chance of making some sense of the minnow situation in wyoming if info could be made available on what farms are approved for distributing flatheads could they be sold anywhere like cheyenne, wheatland etc.  another thing from what I understand flatheads don't get over 3 inches and only eat plankton so they wouldnt hurt trout they would only be food.  I know they are great to get a pond going after stocking so what would they hurt. It just really sucks to have to drive to Douglas or sometimes glendo to get minnows they are the best ice fishing bait bar none in my opinion.

Dear WyOhawkeye,

This topic would best be covered over the phone, if you are interested, please call one of the fish biologists at the Laramie Regional Office 745-4046 and we would be glad to talk with you about the regulation.

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #459 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:04 PM »
Other than Keyhole, historically has there ever been any documented northern pike catches in any other WY fisheries?  A fellow fishermen asked me this question a few days ago. 
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Monarch8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #460 on: Feb 17, 2015, 02:49 PM »
Other than Keyhole, historically has there ever been any documented northern pike catches in any other WY fisheries?  A fellow fishermen asked me this question a few days ago.

Yes.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #461 on: Feb 19, 2015, 08:55 AM »
Keyhole is the only water that WGFD stocks northern pike in and the only water that northerns are managed. However, over the last couple years, pike have shown up in other locations. One of the locations was likely from an illegal introduction, while two of the waters were likely an accidental stocking (the pike likely came in with a load of walleye). Northern pike make a rare appearance in the Tongue River (they occasionally swim up the river from Tongue River Reservoir), and northern pike have made an appearance in the Little Snake River.  Hope this helps.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #462 on: Feb 19, 2015, 12:48 PM »
And greyrocks

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #463 on: Feb 19, 2015, 09:00 PM »
And greyrocks

I think that was covered under "accidental introduction".

ClearCreek

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #464 on: Mar 01, 2015, 08:44 AM »
   I would like to address what I feel is a watercraft safety question and that is why is there no speed limit on Alcova Lake? The boat traffic out there is out of control and a lot
 are not very respectful of others. It's just a matter of time till another catastrophe happens if speed is not regulated to prudent speed say 25-30 m.p.h. Thank you for your time in looking at this topic.

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #465 on: Mar 03, 2015, 11:49 PM »
Has chumming always been legal in Wyoming or was the law changed within the past decade?

I've asked this here before but it is one thing I wish was different.  Any chance we could see yellow perch be used for bait?  We get to keep 50 of them don't see the harm in keeping a few dinky small ones for dead cut bait.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #466 on: Mar 05, 2015, 10:53 AM »
   I would like to address what I feel is a watercraft safety question and that is why is there no speed limit on Alcova Lake? The boat traffic out there is out of control and a lot
 are not very respectful of others. It's just a matter of time till another catastrophe happens if speed is not regulated to prudent speed say 25-30 m.p.h. Thank you for your time in looking at this topic.
Your best bet would be to call the Casper office and ask for one of the fish biologists. 473-3400

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #467 on: Mar 05, 2015, 11:02 AM »
Has chumming always been legal in Wyoming or was the law changed within the past decade?

I've asked this here before but it is one thing I wish was different.  Any chance we could see yellow perch be used for bait?  We get to keep 50 of them don't see the harm in keeping a few dinky small ones for dead cut bait.
Not sure about the chumming question. And the answer to your perch question is NO. Perch are a game fish. You are also allowed to keep 50 crappie, black bullhead, rock bass, bluegill, green sunfish, and freshwater drum (in combination). Just cause a fish is small, doesn't mean it won't be bigger some day. Plenty of other fish, nongame of course, that you can use for cut bait (suckers, carp, creek chubs etc...).

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #468 on: Apr 08, 2015, 06:41 PM »
thank you very much for your help this year, you have answered several questions for me that i did not ask. BRAVO !
I am haunted by waters...

Offline Fishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #469 on: Oct 28, 2015, 11:39 AM »
I have a question about kids. I understand they fish off the adults limit, and are not required to have a license under age. Do all the other rules apply to them equally as an adult. Specifically how many lines are they allowed? The adult is allowed 2(sometimes more in winter) are they also allowed 2? Thanks a bunch for this resource!
A group of ice fishermen is a chatter or chill, although the term loony is often used, particularly by wives of ice fishermen.

~ Patrick F. McManus in The Grasshopper Trap

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #470 on: Nov 03, 2015, 11:58 AM »
RESIDENT YOUTH
under 14 do not need a license and their creel limit is the same
as those requiring licenses.
NONRESIDENT YOUTH
under 14 do not need a license if accompanied by an adult
possessing a valid Wyoming fishing license; however, the
nonresident youth's creel limit shall be applied to and limited
by the fishing license held by the adult person in his/her
company. Nonresident youth under 14 that possess a valid
daily or nonresident youth annual fishing license may capture
and possess a full creel limit.

So with the youth residents they have their own creel limit for each day and can use as many poles as any licensed adult if they check their own lines, so they can use 2 poles in the summer, and up to 6 poles in the ice covered periods if allowed, hope this helps some.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #471 on: Nov 25, 2015, 11:15 AM »
With full reservoir levels around SE Wyoming I'm thinking the 2015/2016 ice fishing season will be great. Happy to be back on Ice Shanty and I look forward to answering questions pertaining to the management of waters within the Laramie Fisheries Management Region  I will be happy to address all issues on fish management of waters you might frequent. When appropriate, I will provide answers based on sound science and professional judgment and look forward to the opportunity to have thoughtful discussions on fisheries issues in Southeast Wyoming. Laramie Plains Lakes anglers, remember there are aeration systems on Meeboer, Gelatt, and Alsop, be careful out there.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #472 on: Nov 25, 2015, 12:15 PM »
Have you guys ever done any population studies on the perch in granite and crystal, and has there ever been talk of managing those lakes to improved the perch fishing to give us guys in the SE some more options.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #473 on: Nov 25, 2015, 02:56 PM »
Glad to have you aboard WGFDFishBioLaramie! It's terrific you'll take the time to address and answer questions from the members and we do appreciate it. Here's to a great ice season!

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #474 on: Nov 25, 2015, 05:45 PM »
 :thumbsup:
Glad to have you aboard WGFDFishBioLaramie! It's terrific you'll take the time to address and answer questions from the members and we do appreciate it. Here's to a great ice season!

X2  :thumbsup:
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #475 on: Nov 27, 2015, 10:04 PM »
WGFFishBio, is it possible to get an insight into Cook Lake, Crook Co. and how the Tiger Trout are doing? Will there be access this winter? Thank you.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #476 on: Nov 29, 2015, 12:04 PM »
WGFFishBio, is it possible to get an insight into Cook Lake, Crook Co. and how the Tiger Trout are doing? Will there be access this winter? Thank you.

I too would like an answer to this? Is there truly no access?

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #477 on: Nov 29, 2015, 06:53 PM »
During the last two summers the Black Hills National Forest has closed the Cook Lake Recreation north of Sundance due to land slide concerns.  The area was open last winter.  The Forest Service believes the land slide concerns are diminished during freezing weather.

Some tiger trout were apparently caught last winter.  It is unknown at this time if the Forest Service will open the area this winter.

The Wyoming Game and Fish Dept. has decided not to stock fish in Cook Lake until the area can be open to anglers year around.

ClearCreek

Offline waltman121

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #478 on: Dec 03, 2015, 09:08 PM »
What determines how many rods you can fish?

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #479 on: Dec 04, 2015, 05:22 PM »
What determines how many rods you can fish?

The simple answer is ice.  There are several waters that allow 6 poles when fishing through the ice.  But, I am thinking you are really asking what determines how a water gets on the the Special Winter Ice Fishing Provision list that is in the Fishing Regulations.  If a water is in that list you are allowed to use up to 6 poles when fishing through the ice. Looking at the list most of the waters are larger trout reservoirs or waters that have a warm/cool water fish population.

ClearCreek

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.