The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 228855 times)

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #240 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:33 PM »
does Wyoming still stock tiger muskies in any waters if not way

WYreellifeguy,

At least in the Laramie Region, tiger musky were last stocked into Festo Lake near Wheatland in 2004, but unfortunetly they have since disappear from the lake due to increased summer temps during the drought. It has gotten increasingly diffucult to obtain fish from other states to due disease and AIS concerns. The Laramie Fisheries Management Crew has requested tiger muskies from our culture section to be stocked into Grayrocks Reservoir in 2013, which used to produce state record tiger muskies. Our culture section will work hard to obtain these fish from a clean source. Keep in touch to find out if they were stocked.

Take care,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #241 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:50 PM »
What is the perch situation in Lake Hattie.  I know a few years back when the lake was smaller they were a great target fish for ice fishing.  I was wondering what if anything the Game and Fish knows about this population of fish.  And can we expect their numbers to increase with the new size of the lake?

Jpearce1fly,

As of 2009, yellow perch were doing very well and of course are a favorite target of ice anglers. Over 82% of yellow perch caught in our sampling gear were greater than 8”.  Two strong year classes in 2003 and 2004 contributed to the strong yellow perch fishery in 2006 and 2007.  It is possible the strong 2004-year class created an overabundance of yellow perch ≥ 8 and ≤ 9 inches, which was evident in the 2007, 2008, and 2009 samples.  The consecutive strong yellow perch year-classes in 2003 and 2004 may be competing for the same food resources, but over time the weaker year-classes that follow will help reduce this competition.  A strong yellow perch year-class was expected in 2010, due to the increased spawning habitat made available to yellow perch in 2009. 2010 sampling indicated abundant yellow perch and individuals near 14 inches were fairly common in our sampling in 2010. However, this abundance of yellow perch did not translate into good perch fishing as the full reservoir might have made fishing for YEP more difficult. Sampling in 2011 recorded a large decrease in the numbers of yellow perch in our sampling gear compared to previous years. It is unclear if the reduced numbers is a reflection of the increase in the sampling area due to a fuller reservoir or fewer yellow perch in the lake. We will continue to monitor this important part of the Lake Hattie fishery. Yellow perch populations do go through boom and bust cycles and it looks like the population might be on a down turn, but with the fuller reservoir this population might be able to rebound better.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #242 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:21 PM »
WGFDFishBioLaramie, appreciate your time and detail in answering some questions here at the Shanty! Hope this relationship between G&F and the Shanty continues far into the future. :thumbsup:

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #243 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:00 PM »
Agreed! Thanks!

Offline 13tjohns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #244 on: Feb 02, 2012, 05:55 PM »
Thanks for the good info Wyo G&F. I was wondering if you had ever thought about stocking northern pike into any of the reservoirs around wheatland, like Wheatland Res1, rock lake, or grayrocks?

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #245 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:20 AM »

....Yellow perch populations do go through boom and bust cycles and it looks like the population might be on a down turn, but with the fuller reservoir this population might be able to rebound better....

WGFDFishBioLaramie

What are some of the major contributing factors to perch boom and bust cycles?  Are busts caused by low water?

To what extent do the large trout in Hattie (browns and cutts in particular) feed on adult perch and perch fry? 

Offline bsrkoacar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #246 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:29 PM »
Wyo G&F, just out of curiosity, do Crystal and Granite provide ideal spawning habitats for the lake trout?  And do you think you will continue to stock these lakes with adult lakers in the future?

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #247 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:04 PM »
G&F:  There has been a thread asking why we can't transport minnows across Wyoming and Montana boarder.  Why can't we?  With reservoirs that cross on water and reservoirs that are just a couple of miles off the boarder.  If you read the thread there are some good points made and I was wondering if there is any talk about this topic?  Thank you
No one left behind.     

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #248 on: Feb 19, 2012, 01:10 AM »
Crystal and Granite are mainly put and take fisheries. In other words, the game and fish put fish in Crystal and Granite for fisherman to catch and not for reproducing.
The warden told me that they put the browns and lakers in thsir to take rhe perch numbers down so they wouldnt stunt
Both are right. Granite will never be a lake trout fishery, it's just not right for them. Most likely the brood lakers had two options: kill them and throw them away, or try to get some sort of use out of them.
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #249 on: Feb 20, 2012, 11:42 AM »
Note to members- Thanks for keeping the chit chat and conversations on this thread to a minimum! It has really made it easier for G&F to filter questions. One more request; I know many members are taking it upon themselves to be helpful and answer questions they have answers to. We do appreciate these responses, but please leave the board clear for G&F responses only. Feel free to p.m. any helpful feedback to the member. Again, by allowing for only G&F responses the thread will be easier for G&F employees to shuffle through during their limited time spent on the site. This message is by request. Thanks!

Offline fishsqueezer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #250 on: Feb 24, 2012, 05:06 PM »
G&F:  There has been a thread asking why we can't transport minnows across Wyoming and Montana boarder.  Why can't we?  With reservoirs that cross on water and reservoirs that are just a couple of miles off the boarder.  If you read the thread there are some good points made and I was wondering if there is any talk about this topic?  Thank you

The un-intentional introduction of non-native species and the spread of invasive species are likely the two greatest threats to aquatic resources right now, and unfortunately, in practically every case they are human caused.  Within the border of our state, we have a pretty good handle on some of the causes of these introductions, one of them being live baitfish.  Statutes and regulations generally don't cross state lines and neither does our ability to regulate the status (i.e. species, parasite, disease, etc.) of those sources.  Basically, the line has to be drawn somewhere, and political boundaries, however arbitrary they may seem, are often where the line is drawn. 
I did spend some time reading through all of your posts and appreciate your perspectives, it is always going to be a subject of interest and contention, but something we should continue discussing. 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #251 on: Mar 05, 2012, 08:41 AM »
Why the new Reg allowing 6 trout any size vs. the 1 over 20"?  Seems to me if it ain't broken don't fix it?
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #252 on: Mar 09, 2012, 08:56 AM »
Why the new Reg allowing 6 trout any size vs. the 1 over 20"?  Seems to me if it ain't broken don't fix it?
Good question. The biggest reason for the change was the fact that most lakes and reservoirs throughout the state are stocked. Most of these lakes and reservoirs are fairly productive, allowing these stocked fish to grow quickly, often to the 20" and above. In many reservoirs, anglers who want to harvest fish often have difficulty finding fish under the 20" mark to harvest. Since these waters are stocked annually anyway and the fact that most trout in reservoirs do not spawn successfully, we felt "why should we limit harvest for those who want to harvest"?.

Another note, most if not all of these lakes and reservoirs allow bait and by not allowing anglers to keep certain sized fish, there was likely high hooking mortality from anglers releasing a 20" plus trout when they already had their one fish over 20".  I guarantee that all of these waters will be monitored closely and if the regulations need to be changed for a certain water we can do it.

Hope this helps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #253 on: Mar 12, 2012, 03:30 PM »
When were perch stocked into Granite and Crystal Reservoirs?  Thanks.

GemCitySlayer,

I just got done looking through our archives of fish stocking records and fish sampling for Granite Reservoir. I could not find the exact date that perch were stocked into Granite Reservoir, but did find mention of them in some sampling records from 1946, 1947, and 1948. I'm not sure if Game and Fish originally stocked perch into Granite Reservoir or if someone else did. I did find mention in an old WGFD report that the development of a fishery at Granite and Crystal reservoirs was discouraged until about 1956, due to fluctuating water levels. The report I found said that once additional water was secured for these reservoirs that it was decided to treat both reservoirs to kill off the undesirable fish, which the report stated were perch and suckers. We do have good stocking records after 1956, but I found no mention of perch, so either the treatment was not entirely successful or they were illegally introduced after the treatment.

Hope that helps,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #254 on: Mar 12, 2012, 03:43 PM »
Is there any chance tiger trout could be stocked in Curt Gowdy, Granite and Crystal Reservoirs?  I think these would be a nice addition to these lakes.

GemCitySlayer,

Tiger trout are now being produced in one of our Game and Fish Department's hatcheries. Tiger trout are a good fish to use in situations where there is an overabundance of certain species of fish, these can be game fish or nongame fish. Since they are sterile their numbers can be controlled. We currently stock brown trout into Granite and Crystal reservoirs to control the overabundance of perch and suckers. Since suitable spawning habitat is somewhat limited, their numbers can also be controlled. We are continually evaluating the success of each fish species we stock, if in the future tiger trout are deemed a suitable species to stock it is something we will look into for Granite or Crystal, or any water body within our management region.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #255 on: Mar 12, 2012, 03:46 PM »
What species are in Festo Lake in Wheatland, Wy. The regs book says there is a limit on Bass?

tjohn,

Stocking was ceased at Festo Lake after 2006, due to low water levels. Since some russian olive treatments and good water years, we started stocking Festo Lake again in 2010. In 2010 3,600 largemouth bass and 6,370 bluegill were stocked. In 2011 5,600 largemouth bass and 11,100 bluegill were stocked.  Both species in 2010 and 2011 were stocked at about 2 inches in length.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #256 on: Mar 12, 2012, 03:50 PM »
Thanks for the good info Wyo G&F. I was wondering if you had ever thought about stocking northern pike into any of the reservoirs around wheatland, like Wheatland Res1, rock lake, or grayrocks?

13tjohns,

For the Laramie Region, when available, we like to stock tiger musky, since they are a sterile species and their numbers can be controled. Tiger musky were last stocked into Festo Lake near Wheatland in 2004, but unfortunetly they have since disappear from the lake due to increased summer temps during the drought. It has gotten increasingly diffucult to obtain fish from other states to due disease and AIS concerns. The Laramie Fisheries Management Crew has requested tiger muskies from our culture section to be stocked into Grayrocks Reservoir in 2013, which used to produce state record tiger muskies. Our culture section will work hard to obtain these fish from a clean source. Keep in touch to find out if they were stocked.

Take care,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #257 on: Mar 12, 2012, 03:55 PM »
Wyo G&F, just out of curiosity, do Crystal and Granite provide ideal spawning habitats for the lake trout?  And do you think you will continue to stock these lakes with adult lakers in the future?

bsrkoacar,

Lake trout were stocked into both of these lakes in 1994, but did not successfully reproduce in either of the reservoirs. Now that doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen. Lake trout are not available to be stocked on an annual basis. The Wyoming Game and Fish Department gets the lake trout from the US Fish and Wildlife Service hatchery in Saratoga, WY. These large lake trout are their brood fish used for spawning, their eggs are then used in places were they are trying to maintain lake trout populations, such as in the Great Lakes. Every so often they rotate out their brood fish, when this occurs the brood fish being replaced are made available to the WGFD to stock.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #258 on: Mar 12, 2012, 10:08 PM »
I'll start a fresh question:

In previous years the game and fish made an effort to stock some flathead catfish into the North Platte.  We all know most of them are gone ( if not all of them! ).

I was just curious if the G/F has considered trying to introduce them again in Wyoming since then.  In my mind, Grayrocks reservoir would be an ideal place to try and get a flathead population established.  There are eyes, crappie, catfish, perch, drum and smallmouth bass in Grayrocks... All of which would make a good food source for flatheads.  Grayrocks is also lower in elevation and summertime temps hit 95-100 degrees. 

Could flatheads prosper in Grayrocks?  Even if they maxed out at 15lbs in there I think anglers would drive many miles for the chance to catch flatheads.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #259 on: Nov 12, 2012, 01:18 PM »
Tiger Musky stocking question.  With the minimum length requirement of 30 inches what is the approximate time frame F&G thinks it will take before the ones which were stocked will be a length where they can be kept?
Don

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #260 on: Nov 12, 2012, 01:24 PM »
I have always wondered what fish where going to be stocked in to Ocean lake, I know previously there were largemouth bass, blue gill, crappie, trout, perch and walleye, but all I see left are walleye, perch, and crappie.  Are there any plans to stock anything else, I know trout are out because the water temperature gets to warm for them to survive, personally I would like to see catfish and largemouth or possible smallmouth bass introduced into the lake.  Or is the G&F having it as a walleye lake only.  Thanks.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #261 on: Nov 15, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Tiger Musky stocking question.  With the minimum length requirement of 30 inches what is the approximate time frame F&G thinks it will take before the ones which were stocked will be a length where they can be kept?
Good question Jopes. With pike and tiger musky being an "ambush" or "lie and wait" predator, it is very difficult for us to get adequate samples for age and growth analysis. It has been my goal to try to collect more samples of northern in Keyhole, but those buggers are hard to catch. If I had to make an educated guess. For a northern or tiger musky to reach 30 inches it would likely take 4 to 5 years. Sooner with good forage, longer with not so good of forage. In Healy Reservoir and all of those smaller perch and white suckers, I would bet that those tiger musky will put on growth pretty quickly.

Good question. I will keep you guys updated as we collect more samples for age and growth analysis.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #262 on: Nov 16, 2012, 10:01 PM »
WY game and fish-

What are the line limit regualtions on Dinwoody Lake on the reservation? Is it the same for reservation members as non-native fishermen?
So many fish, so little time.

Offline dfauverii

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #263 on: Nov 16, 2012, 10:56 PM »
What kind of fish are actually in cameawait (bass lake)?  I keep reading that there are trout, ling, bass of course, perch, crappie, bluegill, and sunfish.  I would just like to know for sure what is actually in there.  How about sand mesa?  Is there good access to that and what kind of fish are in there and is it worth going to? Thanks alot. 
You can lead a man to water but you can't make him catch fish.

Offline wyreellifeguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #264 on: Nov 17, 2012, 01:36 PM »
I have always wondered what fish where going to be stocked in to Ocean lake, I know previously there were largemouth bass, blue gill, crappie, trout, perch and walleye, but all I see left are walleye, perch, and crappie.  Are there any plans to stock anything else, I know trout are out because the water temperature gets to warm for them to survive, personally I would like to see catfish and largemouth or possible smallmouth bass introduced into the lake.  Or is the G&F having it as a walleye lake only.  Thanks.
                 I would like to know the info on this as well

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #265 on: Nov 17, 2012, 08:27 PM »
What kind of bass are in Glendo?  Largemouth or Spotted? 
Don

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #266 on: Nov 19, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Note to members- Thanks for keeping the chit chat and conversations on this thread to a minimum! It has really made it easier for G&F to filter questions. One more request; I know many members are taking it upon themselves to be helpful and answer questions they have answers to. We do appreciate these responses, but please leave the board clear for G&F responses only. Feel free to p.m. any helpful feedback to the member. Again, by allowing for only G&F responses the thread will be easier for G&F employees to shuffle through during their limited time spent on the site. This message is by request. Thanks!
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #267 on: Nov 24, 2012, 09:43 PM »
When fish cull surveys are done and the use of gill nets are used, where does all the dead fish go to?
Don

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #268 on: Nov 28, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Has the game and fish been stocking catfish in Glendo and Grayrocks this year or last?  If I remember right they quit stocking them for awhile was just curious if it had continued.

If someone else knows the answer go ahead and PM me I know a lot of you guys are Glendo diehards.

Offline WGFDFishBioLander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #269 on: Jan 03, 2013, 04:07 PM »

Currently the only fish stocked into Ocean Lake are walleye.  360,000 fingerling are requested each year, and for the most part that is what has been stocked on an annual basis.  We stock walleye because they are unable to naturally reproduce in the lake.  Bluegill, crappie, and yellow perch all maintain fluctuating population levels through natural reproduction.  Ocean Lake contained a tremendous largemouth bass fishery in the past, but that was under different habitat conditions.  During the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s when the lake was much clearer and less silt-laden, bass and crappie thrived.  Since they are predators that forage mostly by sight, poor water clarity during the past 30+ years has caused these fisheries to decline.  We have considered introduction of catfish as they are more suited to the turbid conditions in the lake.  However, it must be understood that the introduction of another competing predator in the lake may be to the detriment of existiing fisheries, such as walley and perch. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.