The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 228875 times)

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #120 on: Feb 16, 2011, 06:39 PM »
 Can someone tell me when the ling spawn over here on the west side of the Winds ?  I had it in my mind that it was in late Feb and early March.
 Thank You  :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #121 on: Feb 17, 2011, 08:52 AM »
Myself and some friends were wondering what it is that causes the meat of some Wyoming trout to be pink while others are white. One friend in particular moved here from Alaska and told me he had never seen white fleshed trout until he came here. We all have our ideas as to the color difference but would sure like to know from a reputable source what the real cause is. And on a side note all of us agree that the pink meat fish taste better in the pan.

It is thier food source.  Fish that eat a lot of zooplankton and scuds tend to accumulate more carotene, whcih is what gives them that orangy/red coloration.  Fish that consume mostly macroinvebrates or other fish tend to be whiter fleshed. 

Some trout/salmon farms even add carotene to the food that they feed their fish to make it look more appealing, kind of cheating!!!

Offline Team Lightning

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Proud Gawker of the BIKINI ICE FISHING TEAM !!
« Reply #122 on: Feb 17, 2011, 03:35 PM »
But I would bet that the White meat is a Brown and the Orange meat is a Rainbow...they are both trout out of the same water. Their diets are different.

Wyo Ice

Sure... I buy it..... in the past while visiting with some of the G&F folk...I have been told that in places like Meadowlark in the Big Horns that you may have one that is pink flesh and the other white... The white flesh is probabaly a stocked fish that may not have been in the lake long enough to have consumed the proper scuds to make the flesh change color yet.

Makes sense to me ???

Offline bull perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #123 on: Feb 17, 2011, 11:36 PM »
I would like to know if the game and fish can or have thought about transpanting a bunch of perch out of healy res and stocking them in lake desmet to help the perch population in the lake

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Feb 18, 2011, 10:17 AM »
I would like to know if the game and fish can or have thought about transpanting a bunch of perch out of healy res and stocking them in lake desmet to help the perch population in the lake

Better yet, lets see if we can get some Crappie around Buffalo...get a good like 500k put in Lake DeSmet or a 100k put in the Wetlands pond.
Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. ~Bill Hicks

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Feb 18, 2011, 01:40 PM »

Lots of people have had this idea. It's just not that feasible. The time and effort needed to make any sort of difference in either lake would be astronomical. Believe it or not, the perch population is pretty strong in DeSmet right now. We have caught more perch in our nets the last few years. I myself fish DeSmet for the perch (the trout are just a bonus). Three weeks ago I caught 60 perch, kept 30, and all were above 8 inches with 15 perch between 9 and 10. The last three years I have caught four perch greater than 10 inches. The perch are there, (not quite like the days prior to the last raise in the reservoir). They are just a little more difficult to find at times.

Hope this helps.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Feb 18, 2011, 01:46 PM »

Better yet, lets see if we can get some Crappie around Buffalo...get a good like 500k put in Lake DeSmet or a 100k put in the Wetlands pond.
Crappie have been stocked in DeSmet in the past (30's, 40's, and 90's) and they have never done very well. Within a year or two of stocking them, they have disappeared. There is not enough structure and other crappie necessities for them to be successful in DeSmet.

As far as crappie in Buffalo Wetlands Pond, we would likely stay away from that for now. As I posted on the Healy thread the other day, perch and largemouth bass in Healy came from Buffalo Wetlands Pond. At this point, the last thing we need in Healy is another fish with the possibility of becoming over-abundant.

Hope this helps

Offline cobra_19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Feb 18, 2011, 02:49 PM »
I have a question...is there anything wrong with planting a little man made structure ie. Christmas trees, rope, and a rock?
Caught a big'un!

Offline bull perch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #128 on: Feb 18, 2011, 03:49 PM »
thanks for the info good to here about the perch in the lake we also started catching more of them in the past three year just not to many with eny size 

Offline wyoeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #129 on: Feb 21, 2011, 02:00 AM »
Were can you order state minnows to sell?.

Offline GonefishingWy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:35 PM »
I would like any info about roach-gulch reservoir near Burlington.. type of fish if any and plans for the fishery.. I have heard there used to be some big trout in there... There is a ton of bait fish in there..

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #131 on: Feb 21, 2011, 10:24 PM »
How about introducing more smallmouth bass into Glendo? As I have heard there are some, but far and few in between.
I don't think I have  been to a more appropriate reservoir in this part of the country that would suit them. And why not better utilize that over abundance of food? The shad, crayfish, and carp minnows are in a population to support allot more predatory fish that what Glendo has now. With no real threat of swimming up stream and affecting the trout fishing 60mi up the Platte. With adding a fish more willing to bite on more occasion's it would give anglers something else to catch besides walleye. I understand the G&F stocked some in years past, but it does not seem they found each other, and were able to establish a population.

And has the G&F ever considered hybrid bass (wipers)?

Again ,
THANK YOU GUYS SOO MUCH! THIS IS BECOMING THE BEST PART OF THIS SITE! ;D
:tipup:

Offline tim6904

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Feb 21, 2011, 10:41 PM »
good info here.  thanks for the info.

Offline WGFDFishBioLander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Do you think all the summer flooding is the reason for the huge boysen algae bloom? Have you ever seen this before? It is solid green in places. Do you think it could cause a winter die off?

The summer flooding undoubtedly contributed to increased algae in Boysen Reservoir.  The amount of algae growth in a reservoir like Boysen is primarily dependent on the amount of nutrients in the water and the water temperature.  Flooding carries more nutrients downstream and into the reservoir and can, therefor, result in more extensive algal blooms.  Algal blooms are a yearly event in the reservoir, though there intensity varies from year to year.  Algae is not necessarily bad, and in fact is a very important component to the overall productivity of a body of water.  Algae constitutes the base of the food chain, upon which zooplankton feed.  Zooplankton are the primary food of the farage fish and young gamefish.  There are many different species of algae and some, especially blue-green algae, can be deleterious.  Blue-greens can be toxic and if dense enough can cause fish kills.  This rarely happens in Boysen and when it does it is usually very localized.  When algae and other plant life die in the winter, they decompose which results in the consumption of oxygen.  This can cause oxygen levels to drop low enough to cause fish kills in a very shallow lake with no water exchange.  For Boysen, with it's large volume and constant inflow of river water, a fish kill from decomposing algae or plants is not a concern.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #134 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Can someone tell me when the ling spawn over here on the west side of the Winds ?  I had it in my mind that it was in late Feb and early March.
 Thank You  :tipup:

Wyo Ice

I don't have any information specific to the west side of the divide, but spawning likely occurs in February.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #135 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:52 AM »
I have a question...is there anything wrong with planting a little man made structure ie. Christmas trees, rope, and a rock?

What you are suggesting can create good fish habitat, but you need to be aware of associated rules and regulations.  First, you need to coordinate with the landowner or management agency responsible for the water body.  Second, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers regulate the placement of all fill into water bodies of the United States.  A permit or letter of concurence from that agency is required for placement of trees and/or rock into any water body.  The Game and Fish is involved with a project that annually places about 500 Christmas trees at Ocean Lake.  To make that project happen, the Bureau of Reclamation (landowner) gives their blessing after completing the proper National Environmental Policy Act evaluation, and the Game and Fish applies for and receives a Corps of Engineers permit.  Welcome to the world of bureaucracy!                             

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #136 on: Feb 22, 2011, 11:59 AM »

Currently, one of the only producers of statewide minnows is the Department of Corrections, Wyoming Women's Center in Lusk. They are raising fathead minnows and are authorized to sell these minnows for statewide use, were the use of live bait is allowed.  This is their first year and I am not sure what their supply is like.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Feb 22, 2011, 05:07 PM »

Marv's Minnows in Worland has state wide fatheads also. Look under the minnow dealer's section for info.

Offline Wyoflyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Feb 24, 2011, 11:44 AM »
I would also be interested in the question regarding smallmouth in Glendo.

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:21 PM »
What is the criteria for statewide fathead minnows? Do you have to raise them from certain fry (get them from G&F hatchery)Have them checked by a biologist? Treat them with with some thing to sterilize them? Trap them from a particular body of water? Must be a lot to it with all the drain and dry enforcement to protect waters!
Thanks

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #140 on: Feb 24, 2011, 02:24 PM »
I don't have any information specific to the west side of the divide, but spawning likely occurs in February.

Thanks for the info   :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline WYpescadito

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #141 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:56 PM »
earlier somebody mentioned the Sand Mesa reservoirs by boysen were drained...my question is if/when will they ever be restocked?  I remember catching loads of bluegills out there as a little kid.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #142 on: Feb 25, 2011, 07:35 PM »
What are some of the largest drum netted / captured in Grayrocks?. 

Also curious as to their behavior in the spring in particular if a biologist as any information I'd appreciate it.
is your home work done son? ;D

Offline icefishing J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Feb 27, 2011, 09:19 PM »
 did the game & fish put any fish in east allen, south of medicine bow.
 Thanks for your guys time, 
Just making Swiss Ice

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #144 on: Feb 28, 2011, 10:40 AM »
What are some of the largest drum netted / captured in Grayrocks?. 

Also curious as to their behavior in the spring in particular if a biologist as any information I'd appreciate it.

Sydneydog,

From 2005 through 2010 the number of freshwater drum captured in our sampling gear has increased.  The majority of drum have ranged in length from 10 to 17 inches, with the largest caught at 17.5 inches.  The increase in drum has meant more anglers have found them on the end of their lines after a good fight, these fish are loved by some and hated by others. 

Freshwater drum spawning takes place during mid-summer and their eggs are free floating near the surface of the water and hatch in a matter of days.  The prefer shallower water of large lakes.  They get their name from their ability to make booming sounds by muscular action against their air bladder.  Their large otoliths in their head and large sensory canals on their sides of their head, and long lateral line are all adapted to pick up these booming sounds during the spawn.

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #145 on: Feb 28, 2011, 10:55 AM »
did the game & fish put any fish in east allen, south of medicine bow.
 Thanks for your guys time, 

Icefishing J,

East Allen Lake was not stocked in 2010 due to water quality concerns.  Water quality samples have been collected frequently since about 2006 when stocked fish survival appeared to be low.  Fish stocked in 2008 had low survival and the last fish stocked were 10,000 Bear River cutthroat in spring of 2009.  We have had sporadic reports of these fish being caught.  Prior to stocking in fish in 2009 24 rainbow trout from were placed in live cars and left for 10 days in the reservoir and were monitored.  Eleven mortalities were recorded near the end of the 10-day holding period. Live and dead fish were submitted to the WGFD Fish Health Lab. Unfortunately, no pathological or other reasons for cause of mortality were found.  In addition, the water quality parameter we were tested for did not lead us to a conclusion to what water quality issues may be affecting stocked fish survival.  The reasons for the low stocked fish survival continue to elude us.  Water conditions improved dramatically in 2010 and most likely most water quality issues will be resolved due to the influx of new water to the reservoir.  We have the regularly scheduled amount of stocked fish for 2011, which is 30,000 Bear River cutthroat and 30,000 rainbow trout to be stocked in April 2011.  We will continue to investigate other water quality parameters that may be affecting this fishery that are not regularly tested for.   

If you have any other questions let me know,

Thanks,

WGFDFishBioLaramie

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #146 on: Feb 28, 2011, 06:24 PM »
How about introducing more smallmouth bass into Glendo? As I have heard there are some, but far and few in between.
I don't think I have  been to a more appropriate reservoir in this part of the country that would suit them. And why not better utilize that over abundance of food? The shad, crayfish, and carp minnows are in a population to support allot more predatory fish that what Glendo has now. With no real threat of swimming up stream and affecting the trout fishing 60mi up the Platte. With adding a fish more willing to bite on more occasion's it would give anglers something else to catch besides walleye. I understand the G&F stocked some in years past, but it does not seem they found each other, and were able to establish a population.

And has the G&F ever considered hybrid bass (wipers)?

Again ,
THANK YOU GUYS SOO MUCH! THIS IS BECOMING THE BEST PART OF THIS SITE! ;D
So?

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #147 on: Feb 28, 2011, 07:16 PM »
I think they may have missed some from the page before this one ???

Offline icefishing J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Feb 28, 2011, 09:04 PM »
thanks for thew info, thanks for your time, ;D
Just making Swiss Ice

Offline minn_man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Mar 01, 2011, 07:52 AM »
To WGF Law Enforcement:

"Artificial Light
means any man-made light or lighting device."

"No person shall use an artificial light with the sole purpose of aiding
in the attraction or taking of fish. No person shall use any device
to physically extend an artificial light over the water to attract
fish. It is illegal to use or attempt to use artificially lighted hooked
devices."

Considering the above, is it legal to:

- charge glow jigs with artificial light before using them to fish with. (It is illegal to use or attempt to use artificially lighted hooked devices.)

- charge glow tubes with artificial light before using them to fish with. (It is illegal to use or attempt to use artificially lighted hooked devices)

- attach chemical "glow sticks" to your fishing line

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.