Author Topic: Jet sled xl is worn through  (Read 2749 times)

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jet sled xl is worn through
« on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:47 AM »
I was cleaning up my jet sled xl on Saturday and noticed I can see daylight through the bottom in a few places. I guess it must be getting a bit on the thin side......... Who'd a thunk. It's only got like 1000 miles on it or so, and it is only around 10 years old........

I'm getting a new one, but I was thinking about trying to add some of my old hifax runners to the bottom of the new one to help it last longer. Has anyone done that? I see there are mod kits you can buy, but I have my old hifax so why spend the money on a kit? I was hoping maybe somebody has done one or the other to help me avoid pitfalls......

Anxiously awaiting your knowledgeable insights.

:tipup:

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jet sled xl is worn through
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:35 AM »
No direct experience with hyfax kits, but I pull Jet Sled XLs and have been watching some other related conversations.  My two cents:

- Install hyfax = drill holes.  Heard some bad stories about leaking.

- Cost of hyfax not that far off the cost of another sled.

If you're pulling on snow and ice, I say take the 1000 miles and 10 year deal and replace the sled without the added expense.  If you're pulling on gravel, all bets are off anyway.

IMO

If you do the hyfax kit, I'd be interested in your experience with it.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:37 AM »
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:39 AM »
In my case, hifax would be free as I have my old ones just laying around, but I hear your concerns about leakage. It is a concern I have also.

I do not pull on gravel or pavement if I can get out of it, but sometimes you don't have a lot of choice.

I value your feedback FG Steve. Thanks.

I agree 10 years and 1000 miles isn't too bad. But wife is not of the same opinion.  ;D

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:42 AM »
I installed these https://www.fish307.com/shappell-sled-wear-bars/ on my jet sled last year when I wore a hole in the back right corner.... haven't had an issue with leaking yet (make sure everything is tight) and it glides like a dream on the gravel and glare ice.... a little hard to turn in a lot of snow but other than that it works great..... was either this or $80-$100 for a new one since I would like the next size up in either shapell jet sled or an otter sled

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Online badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2018, 12:29 PM »
You also can weld plastic into the holes in your sled with a heat gun. Find a similar plastic, and heat it all up (slowly- you can melt into a puddle if you are not careful) and the plastic will weld together. I have fixed motorcycle and ATV fenders this way. Then again, there is always duct tape... :tipup:

Offline sdhuntandfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2018, 12:56 PM »
Spend a little more for an Otter sled, add the hyfax kit that's made for it, and never need buy a new sled in your entire life. After 8 or ten years, replace the hyfax. The Otter roto molded sleds are the toughest made.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2018, 01:13 PM »
I added the hyfax kit to my newest jedsled xl. Its the Green ones sold by shappel but I just noticed the new ones look like they are dark blue. As previously stated above I have not noticed any leakage in my sled, the screws come with a rubber type of washer. I was very hesitant to install them but my old jetsled xl was wore right through on the back corners from 10+ years of being drug around. Wanted this one to last a little longer and so far those hyfaxs have taken a beating but kept the sled in great shape. Good thing is you can remove them when they start getting wore on the back and flip them around
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2018, 04:36 PM »
I bought the largest size hyfax kit by otter and used them on a frabill before I got a couple otter pros and put the hyfax on both. most sleds will accept other brands hyfax, you can always measure. If you already have a set just mount them up, cut in a miter box with a small handsaw to size, drill the holes one size small so the bolts screw into the sled as opposed to going through the hole freely, and seal with silicon if concerned about leakage...although the sled will always get condensation or leakage under the cover. I have always ran hyfax on all my sleds and wouldn't tow any sled with a machine without one. Pulling by hand, no hyfax needed.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:53 PM »
I have always ran hyfax on all my sleds and wouldn't tow any sled with a machine without one. Pulling by hand, no hyfax needed.

You guys are schooling me.  Why only if towing?  The increased speed?  The longer drags?  I tow only.  TIA
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Walleyewacker007

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:52 PM »
Pulling with a machine puts extra strain on the sled and definitely increases the wear factor due to things like increased speed, more miles put on vs pulling by hand(I regularly tow my otters 10+ miles per day), pulling heavier loads and going over gravel, expanded metal ramps, rock, pavement, glare ice etc. Pulling by hand reduces most of these to the point you may not need the hyfax.I feel I will never need a new sled, only to occasionally replace the hyfax. Another nice benefit to the hyfax is the sled sits a little higher and feels like it pulls easier over pavement, up the trailer ramp and tracks a little better as well. Hyfax kit=$50- $75. New Sled $100- $200 BTW, otter pros are the best sleds by far, last sled you'll ever by.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.