Author Topic: Not to be rude, but............ I wanna say something.  (Read 8582 times)

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
I see this every year. Please don't take this as rude, but I feel I gotta say it.

Every year a whole bunch of people come on this site and another that I monitor and keep asking about ice conditions here, there, and everywhere. It's like everyone is sitting back and waiting for someone else to do the leg work. Come on guys, let's get off our duffs and get out there.

I'll be honest. I sometimes hold back what I know and have seen because so many people just sit back and wait for information instead of gathering information to share. If you are gonna ask, then get out there and report back as well. Don't just sit home waiting for someone to tell you "its on"........

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Not to be rude, but............ I wanna say something.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:23 AM »
Driving hours to find unsafe ice is a huge waste of fuel and time. Not rocket science

Offline delement87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:26 AM »
i feel the same way, over the years ive documented  weather patterns at certain lakes and when i found first ice. i watch the weather for the same patterns then head out. i dont share much info on places that i get first ice at.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:35 AM »
If I know ice conditions somewhere and can save someone a trip I'm always happy to help. I totally believe in karma.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:39 AM »
Driving hours to find unsafe ice is a huge waste of fuel and time. Not rocket science

True, but if you are not willing to get off your butt and go find out, then don't be begging for info either. Give and take, Not mooch and zip your lip.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:39 AM »
Some guys brought their boat here a couple of weeks ago from another state and blamed a local bait shop when the launches were iced in. The bait shop doesn't go to the lakes and check the launches. An employee told these guys he had seen some boats go by on the highway which apparently meant the launches HAD to be open to them. The same bait shop will never tell you the ice is safe to be on. I consider it really nice when these bait shops plow the launches open for us.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:42 AM »
If I know ice conditions somewhere and can save someone a trip I'm always happy to help. I totally believe in karma.

Same here.  That said, I've had two forum members message me about my local ice conditions.  One was very polite and responded with a "thank you" and the other just bluntly asked and never responded at all.  Guess which one will get ignored in the future...

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2017, 08:54 AM »
Am I cheap because I don't buy every jig, rod, reel, or pair of boots out there and try them for myself?  Am I dumb because I don't have a degree in Ichthyology but I ask questions about what types of bait to use for certain fish or what type of habitat they prefer?   Forum : an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest. Why do you assume everyone is lazy?  If you don't want to share, you don't have to.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Some people also have lives that interfere with fishing. I have a hard enough time being able to check local spots myself that I usually just wait until I know ice is “safe” most everywhere. Laziness has nothing to do with it.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:10 AM »
Am I cheap because I don't buy every jig, rod, reel, or pair of boots out there and try them for myself?  Am I dumb because I don't have a degree in Ichthyology but I ask questions about what types of bait to use for certain fish or what type of habitat they prefer?   Forum : an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest. Why do you assume everyone is lazy?  If you don't want to share, you don't have to.

I thought we were here to help each other. Too many are here to reap benefits of others, but do not add to the charity pool of info. This is my complaint.

And I did not say it was laziness. I said, get off your butts. Could be laziness, selfishness, lack of concern for others, or many other possible factors. I just want to see the same people asking for all the info, providing info as well.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:27 AM »
I see it as giving back to a sport that I love. I am in my early 40's, I have kids, I work a full time job, and always have projects to do. I appreciate when someone gives me an update on ice conditions because I don't always have time to scout. One day I hope to be retired and my kids will be grown and Ill be the one giving the scouting reports.
Well I hope everyone has a great season this year, stay safe!

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2017, 09:32 AM »
I see it as giving back to a sport that I love.
Exactly what I'm asking for........  ;)

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:11 AM »
I have a pretty decent work schedule that gives me long days off in a row. But I'm also out of state every other week. So I'm glad to check local areas when I'm home, but would also like to have better ice condition checks so I'm not driving 3-4 hours to find open water. Can't believe how many unposted lakes there are this year.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:31 AM »
do you have web cams or any other reporting systems in place? maybe use search engines and see if there are any for you to use too.

a good resource for many of us in our state is a web cam pointing at a lake. you can see people on it when there's ice. you can see people falling in (like i have numerous times). seeing people falling in is not a good thing when all you can do is call 911. but at least they have that aid from us watching them while on thin ice.
so here is that link: www.gulllakecam.com

another resource: http://lybacks.com/webcam/

another: http://miiceguys.com/ice-map/

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:34 AM »
Wow. I'm amazed at how many non-Idahoans are reading and responding to the thread. Thanks for the input......

Offline DERBIS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:37 AM »
I hear you hooknhunter. Its just like when someone posts a fish on FB and the first 1000 comments are "where did you catch that?" or "how much ice?"....want me to draw you a map? want me to catch the fish for you? want to know the fish's favorite color? want me to stand here and keep the hole from freezing over?

I know this is a little extreme, but its getting old. Desmobob's response holds a lot of weight too. Its easy to help people a bit, but the gimme-gimme attitude is crap. There are all types out there.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:40 AM »
the seasoned folks here use the home page to look for topics we can try to help out with or just be part of. i hope you can find resources like these for your area and just wanted to help you try to look for them besides what is said in the open here. it may take some time, but there my be some waiting for you in your state if you can find them.

just a quick search of web cams looks like many to look thru
https://duckduckgo.com/html?q=idaho%20lake%20web%20cams

http://www.craterlakelodges.com/webcam/

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:41 AM »
Oh yes. We have them. On some places at least.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2017, 10:59 AM »
I always post ice conditions for the places I visit, and I encourage others to do the same.  It is the first reason I became a lurker here years ago, and eventually I wanted to give back and produce rather than just consume, so to speak.  This may help explain my advocacy for and promotion of our Idaho R&C board.

While I've tried to give ice info freely, I've learned to be a little more quiet about catch rates and fishing success, etc.  However, I often offer to give that info via PM and I haven't denied any PM request that I recall.

I think two reasons to report ice conditions are safety and time.

Safety is a big deal.  Nobody wants to drown for a fish.  Once you arrive at a lake, you can't base your actions on previous reports, but those reports can help you make plans to visit places that are fishable.  Sharing info for safety reasons is a basic golden rule thing.

On the time side, many, if not most, folks have limited time for fishing and maybe can't get out just for a scouting trip. And none of us can get everywhere (although I think IrishnId could come close!).  It is great for these folks to use ice reports to help them plan, so they don't prep hard and get up early and drive just to find themselves spending their limited time ice hunting instead of fishing.

When any of us do "get off our duffs and get our there" it would be great if we would post ice conditions upon our return.  You don't need to share your favorite spot, bait, lure, or other family secrets.  I agree with the karma comment.

I haven't done a comparison to see if the most common Idaho "askers" are also posting what they find when they go.  That might be interesting.  I think some of this year's askers have been new folks that don't know about the R&C board yet.  Hopefully they will contribute there.

Add my voice to those saying, "when you go, let us know (ice conditions)"

My .02
IMO
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2017, 11:49 AM »
HooknHunter shares more information than most . He don't  have to worry about karma . Probably one of the best fishermen i ever met . 2 weekends ago while fishing with him . He let 3 young children land a fish each on his rod . He didn't even know the people . It made there day . Kids were from 4 to 8 years old . Most fish were 4 pounds .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline AverysAdventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:11 AM »
For sure Curt.

HooknHunter shares more information than most . He don't  have to worry about karma . Probably one of the best fishermen i ever met . 2 weekends ago while fishing with him . He let 3 young children land a fish each on his rod . He didn't even know the people . It made there day . Kids were from 4 to 8 years old . Most fish were 4 pounds .

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:18 AM »
For sure Curt.

You guys are far too nice. You don't know all times I've made a complete #$$ of myself.  :)

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:36 AM »
YOUR NOT GETTING ONE .
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline hooknhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2017, 11:43 AM »
YOUR NOT GETTING ONE .

That's only funny when I do it.......  ;)

Offline AverysAdventure

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2017, 12:02 PM »
LOL I don't even think it's funny when you do it.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2017, 12:20 PM »
if you've been on iceshanty awhile you will realize to not drop lake names on the internet.for 1 whats is safe ice to me might not be safe for others.i have all the safety gear to go out on somewhat thin ice.2nd I don't want a bunch of extra lurkers show up on the ice on a tip that the bite is on.its not like telling a buddy where ice is anymore..the internet trollers  don't want to do their own leg work like I have for years before the internet.jmo.quite a few lakes got mentioned on the mi forum a few years back and it ended  up being a circus on ice.lol

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2017, 12:43 PM »
We don't  have the big population you guys do . On any given weekend there may be 100 people on the entire lake and on week days maybe 10 to 20 people.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2017, 02:12 PM »
I bet we don't even get a hundred up here in the north.

Offline willrile4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2017, 04:29 PM »
If you post it, they will come...

Offline Packgoatguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:21 PM »
Ill add my 2 cents here...

When it comes to the great outdoors, there seems to be a mentality from some that there is too much of a limited resource, and that keeping information about locations, techniques, conditions, and such will mean more fish and critters for themselves. On the other hand, I believe in the 'more the merrier' philosophy... if you want to get all political, there is plenty of opposition out there from folks who would just as well like to see our hunting and fishing rights taken away all-to-gether. That is why I like to share my knowledge with every interested person (and some who are uninterested). The way I see it, the more folks I can encourage to get outside and participate in a wholesome activity like fishing or hunting, then that is one more person on my side of the debate. We also are up against a huge problem with our young people... it is hard enough to pull them away from their video games, but once you do, if they don't see immediate success on the water or in the field, they act like the whole affair is a waste of time. I am seriously worried that we are not passing on enough of a love for the outdoors for the next generation to give a hoot... and that will be a crying shame when there is no one else left to defend what we now hold dear.

So... what does that mean? Well, this year I didn't get to harvest my own deer, because I was too busy helping 3 other first time hunters harvest their deer... using my rifle. And I am perfectly OK with that. Im like most of you on here, and I don't have an incredible amount of free time. When it comes to fishing (or hunting), as you all know... it takes years and years to build up the skills, gear, and knowhow to be routinely successful in some areas. Ive recently been able to dedicate the time into figuring the kokanee trolling thing out with my boat, but I have spent a lot of time and money to get where I am with our local lakes... and yes, I am an open book to those around me about what I have learned. Ive taken a number of youth out who had never before had a chance to hook a koke. Last year was the first year I put some real time into really figuring out the perch fishing, and lucked out into finding CJ Strike froze. I didn't keep it a secret, and you can find some of my posts from last year on this forum. That said... do I remember to jump on the computer and post a fishing report everytime I make it out? Heck no, I have a life (and 6 kids) so sometimes it just doesn't happen.

I will say this, I have been the recipient of helpful tips and info over the years, whether it has been from tackle shops like Tackle Toms, the folks at sportsmans or Kokabow, or forums like these. As I consider myself to be relatively new to the successful side of catching vs just fishing, I freely admit that I have probably received a lot more advice than I have given. But, as I become more and more successful in my excursions, my ability to "pay it forward" is increasing.

So, thank you to all who are willing to share your knowledge freely. My apologies for those of us benefiting from your hard won knowledge who don't always reciprocate in kind. I hope you know that your efforts are not in vain, and that the better educated the masses will be, that means more folks out there who can share in our ideals in a safe and educated manner.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.