Author Topic: malin boa no kink  (Read 1562 times)

Offline legerski82

• Team IceShanty Regular
malin boa no kink
« on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:55 PM »
  Buddy and I tied up some leaders with the 31 lb malin no kink and some  of the 40lb malin stainless today.  We crimped the stainless and tied the no kink.  The no kink seems like it will be great far superior to the standard stainless.   Hope we have lots of pics from fort peck to prove it was worth the cash.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: malin boa no kink
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:44 AM »
I seriously doubt you will be disappointed. I have been using the Malin for about 10 years now up at Ft. Peck. If its tied right its darn near bullet proof. I have heard people complain about breaks but 99% of the time its because they tied it wrong or trimmed the tag end too short. I have landed some Monster Northern and Walleye with the Malin wire and I wont use anything else. This year I am going to take the plunge and try Circle Hooks in conjunction with the Malin and see how they perform.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline legerski82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:46 PM »
  It was your posts that helped me too decide to try it out.   Which pound test do you like using?    We made some with beads and spinner blades and some with just plain red treble hooks.  Do you use beads or blades?

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009, 11:08 PM »
I usually do dress up my leaders with beads and sometimes blades. I am very fond of chrome (bright and shiny) beads as well as beads that glow. Anything to add that bit of attraction, especially with live bait. Some of my dead bait Pike rigs I tie up natural with nothing on them. I prefer the 30 lb test but sometimes use the 40 lb. The 30 lb test is just a bit easier to manipulate and tie for me. When are you hitting Peck? I am going from Feb 7th thru the 17th this year. Lots of snow this year up there. Access will be difficult in spots.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline legerski82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2009, 06:20 AM »
  Thanks for the input we built a wide variety of colors to try.  Last year was our first time up there we were clueless, but the guys at hellcreek were helpfull.  We bought some of there rigs from them and and then used some ht quick strike rigs with about the same luck on either.   We are heading up on sunday for a week.   I made some leaders for jigging I madethem about 12'' long with a barrel swivel on one end and then tied a quick snap like on those pre made stinger hooks.   Should make for easy lure changes.    Do you do much jigging while up there?  Seems lots of people don't just run there tip up lines.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2009, 12:01 PM »
I actually dont get much jigging done while I am up there. Running tip ups take a huge part of my day. For example, last year our first tip ups were 10.4 miles from the camper. Then there was three of us so we had 18 tip ups spread over about another 5 miles. I was camped in Hell Creek but we fished over in Sutherland. When I am not running and checking tip ups, the Coyote hunting up in those hills is beyond belief. All my spare time is spent calling in and shooting Coyotes. Its awesome, I get to combine two of my greatest passions into one trip.

Offline legerski82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2009, 03:23 PM »
   That is one of my favorite pass times also.    We spread all our lines around also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.