Author Topic: Floro or Titanium and Quick strike Rigs  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Davis92

• IceShanty Rookie
Floro or Titanium and Quick strike Rigs
« on: Mar 01, 2013, 05:09 PM »
Ok so here is my question i have read some of the other discussions about floro and steal and im new to this site so i have some other questions. i just bought some 80lb floro leader material to try out seeing how i havent had such a hot year. whats everyones thoughts on floro for quick strikes or is steal or titanium the way to go? and for quick strike what size trebles? or i it bait dependant?

thanks

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Floro or Titanium and Quick strike Rigs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:05 PM »
I only use Fluoro. Others on this site like steel. Experiment and see which you have better luck with. I tend to use bigger hooks than some, but my favorite lakes are very stained and support northen over 44".

Where are you located. What types of lakes do you fish and what kind of big fish population do your lakes have? All important considerations before settling on a rig.

Good luck and keep us posted.

WS

Offline Davis92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2013, 07:33 PM »
The lake i mainly fish is more on the clear side, and holds up fish up to 48" and potentially bigger. A 25lb was caught so far this year and a 29lb last year.  do you use quick strikes?

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2013, 09:25 PM »
This is my first full season using 20 lb. titanium leader. I landed 10 pike between 17 lbs. and 3 lbs. on the same leader before it gave up it's ghost. I can't compare it too much to fluoro because
after seeing a friend lose a big one on the the set and me breaking off a week later, both on fluoro, and this being my second season of really targeting pike,I thought I'd try this stuff. .011 dia.,
same as Seagaur 15 ib. fluoro. I'm sold on the stuff. Tie a simple clinch knot and don't cinch it down like mono or fluoro. With postage it's a buck a foot for 30'.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Most folks here know I'm pretty much a steel guy. Not much advantage to be had with fluoro or titanium. For me, steel is the best choice for cut proof performance and flexibility.

Heavy fluoro is OK, is perceived as being "invisible" and I still experiment with it, but it fishes very stiffly in comparison to 20-30# wire. Titanium also tends to be stiff in the single strand stuff. My biggest knock is the stretch it has. At first I thought it was kinda cool, but each time it stretches it fatigues the metal (yes, titanium is metal) and it can give way without any outward indication of weakness. Try the stretchy thing, I was so fascinated I probably wore some leaders out before they even got wet.

Steel is cheap, easy to work with and reliable. Other than an adventure into alternatives, I see no good reason to abandon it.

Just my opinion based on my experiences........... ...user mileage may vary.

/m

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2013, 08:47 PM »
I use 40lb flourocarbon and prefer it to steel, Have used titianium but run into problems with the wire pulling through the sleave on really big fish the odd time. Apperantely i am not getting the crip tight enough but i crip it as hard as my 65 year old body can :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.