Author Topic: Help with auger set up  (Read 712 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Help with auger set up
« on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Got my new Eskimo hand auger the bolt is a 1/4 20 however a regular bolt is .0010 to big no problem I buffed the bolts on a buffing wheel fits fine now. However the shoulder is not big enough to fit inside the slightly bigger hole going in to the auger? I Don't think it would cause an issue. I want to bolt the auger directly to the clam plate. Is the wing nut bolt strong enough should I just use that and keep an eye on it so I don't lose the auger? Figured I would ask the Guru's. Thanks

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Help with auger set up
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2018, 07:45 PM »
The wingnut works just fine on my Eskimo/Clam Plate combo. FWIW, it’s an 8” auger.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Yes just use the wing nut.

When you get or if you get the extention for it, then it allows you to change the height of the auger.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2018, 10:05 PM »
Clam Plate, ION auger (same Co. as Eskimo) and strike master hand auger all use same size .720 shaft. Basic 18 mm tube and slightly under 3/4". Eskimo uses allan head cap screws 1/4 20, 5/16 18 and 3/8 16 because they have a small round head but most important readily available in GR3 & GR8 hardness. GR8 is best. Thumb screws work great but have a better chance to shear when auer suddenly stops when drilling with high end cordless drills.
Might I suggest you get the ION quick disconnect to set up your clam plate has a direct fit with no mods. Use bolts provided. Also comes eith an ice anchor bit. Pics with anchor bit and my 8" hand Strike Master auger.

Offline papadarv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2018, 10:11 PM »
I also working on an adalpter to replace the chuck on my Mud Mixer to direct connect to the ION quick change. Later build one for my Eskimo Gas auger. Found the ION quick change on eBay under $30,00 free shipping arrived in 2 days.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2018, 10:37 PM »
The wing bolt will work fine, and like previously posted it allows you to change out easily if you need to.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2018, 09:41 AM »
on mine, the wing bolt has a shoulder that fits the larger hole pretty snugly. if you don,t like to use the wingbolt, get a 1/4x 20 shoulder bolt of the right length. good luck. P.S. you,ll love that combo for shredding ice.  wire

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.