Author Topic: New Machine For Next Year  (Read 6996 times)

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Machine For Next Year
« on: Mar 17, 2017, 09:46 PM »
So, finally bit the bullet and picked up a snowmobile this week. I've really liked the ski wheeler, but with the Evo2 I got and the ever-growing amount of other gear, I decided I needed something with a bit more power...grunt...grunt. ..
Been watching ads for a while and managed to pick this one up for less than $600. Runs great, is in very clean shape, and has a nearly new track. So, looking forward to tricking this out over the summer in prep for next year. Plan is to build a rack for some gear and to hold the auger. Thanks to muskyon for the guidance/tips.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: New Machine For Next Year
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2017, 09:59 PM »
Right on damon, that's a good looking sled. I happy you found a good machine. I'm doing a little tricking on mine before I put it away for the year myself. After the last trip I can't quit thinking of things I want to do different for next year. I better get the boat or soon. Lol
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2017, 08:00 AM »
Since the machine will be used on ice that sometimes doesn't have any snow on it, I would suggest you put 'scratchers' on the top of your list of things to add to the machine.  Ask Matt or Bryan about this.   ;D

As to racks, I went commercial with a Johnson Cargo System rack.  A little pricey at $299 plus shipping, but very well designed and built.  You can come look at mine any time.  If you have the skills and tools to build your own, mine might give you some ideas about how to go about it.

Also, Strawberry will still be ice fishable for at least another 3 or 4 weeks.  I'll be heading back up there or to Fish Lake this next week.  I'm boatless right now, so I'm not putting the gear away just yet.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Back to the teens up at the berry again this morning.  Let me know what day you plan to go back to the berry Bob. I might be able to get one more trip in. Definately put some scratches on there damon. You'll be happy you did the 1st time you need them. I've seen 2 people this year melt their  track to to their hyfax at the berry
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2017, 08:57 PM »
OK...step 1 get scratchers...will do that.
So what about driving the sled on hard ice? Are the track and skis able to work, or are there upgrades that are a must? Seems like on hard ice the skis would just slip around and not really provide steering. I've also seen folks that put studs on their tracks, is that overkill for typical UT conditions? Don't want to spend alot of $$, but also want to make sure the investment made in the sled results in a functional machine I can rely on.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2017, 09:45 AM »
OK...step 1 get scratchers...will do that.
So what about driving the sled on hard ice? Doesn't happen often enough to worry about unless you do the Wyoming side of the Gorge.  Matt uses his ATV up there instead of a snowmobile.Are the track and skis able to work, or are there upgrades that are a must? None that I'm aware of.Seems like on hard ice the skis would just slip around and not really provide steering. Very true.  But not a problem 98% of the time.I've also seen folks that put studs on their tracks, is that overkill for typical UT conditions? Definitely over kill.Don't want to spend alot of $$, but also want to make sure the investment made in the sled results in a functional machine I can rely on.  Get scratchers and you'll be good to go.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2017, 02:13 PM »
X2 on what Bob said. Scratchers should be all that's needed. If it's straight ice you can just use the ski wheeler
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2017, 07:19 PM »
10-4...thanks Bob and Matt. One last question.....
Standard universal spring style scratchers (StaCool Scratchers $38 on Amazon) or do I spend the extra $$ on the Duraflex ones ($72 on Amazon) which have carbide tips that can be replaced? Just don't have a sense for how long the standard spring style ones should last before replacing. Thanks....

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:19 PM »
Standard spring style will work fine,  that's the ones I'm looking at for next year. I just have to make sure I don't leave then down in reverse or when I'm putting the sled on the trailer. Honestly I really only see myself using them a few times a year. If there's 2+in of snow there's no need to have them down
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2017, 07:22 AM »
If you ONLY use them when actually on the ice, the cheaper ones will last for years.  Do not engage them in the parking lot and try to scratch the asphalt or concrete or like Matt said, on the trailer and back off.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 10:31 AM »
looks like a great sled! I put carbides on my mine and it now turns where I tell it to.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 26, 2017, 10:31 PM »
Hey guys, been working on tricking out the snowmobile for the upcoming season. Muskyon46 did showed me the setup he's been working on, figured I share what I ended up doing. I really like how it turned out. I can carry all my standard equipment and even have some room to spare. Even added a bracket to mount the Ice Shanty flag to. Thinking of maybe adding some bucket racks as well, but I already like the current setup. Bring on the ice...Tight lines...

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2017, 10:36 PM »
From the back.... Looks a little wider than it really is due to the camera. The rack itself is not any wider than the front skis are.

Offline Cfilbert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2017, 09:37 AM »
Love the design.  Is everything going to be held in by bungees then?
Is the ice thick enough yet?

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2017, 09:45 AM »
Nice setup, good luck with it.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2017, 02:08 PM »
That is looking good, I'll get a few picks of mine up when i get a new photo app/hosting site going
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2017, 04:02 PM »
So, finally bit the bullet and picked up a snowmobile this week. I've really liked the ski wheeler, but with the Evo2 I got and the ever-growing amount of other gear, I decided I needed something with a bit more power...grunt...grunt. ..
Been watching ads for a while and managed to pick this one up for less than $600. Runs great, is in very clean shape, and has a nearly new track. So, looking forward to tricking this out over the summer in prep for next year. Plan is to build a rack for some gear and to hold the auger. Thanks to muskyon for the guidance/tips.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

A bit off topic, but what do you think about the Evo 2? Would you buy it again or get something different?

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Aug 29, 2017, 06:38 PM »
Hey rl_sd,
I'll shoot you a PM on the Evo2 so that this current thread remains on-topic.....

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Aug 29, 2017, 09:43 PM »
Nice rack!!  ;)

Come on ice..
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 30, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Nice rack!!  ;)

Come on ice..
Now for the pics of your new ride Hutbomber! Don't be shy.

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Aug 30, 2017, 01:20 PM »
Now for the pics of your new ride Hutbomber! Don't be shy.

???hmmmm
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Bentrod801

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2017, 07:57 PM »
Nice work Damen, i picked me up a buggy for this next year also. I havent been on the site in a while and seen your post. Cant what to hit the hard deck with the guys again this year.

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:03 PM »
Nice sled and looks like you put together a nice rack on the back. Hopefully I get mine out of the shop so I can keep up with you guys

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07:01 AM »
Hopefully I get mine out of the shop so I can keep up with you guys.
What shop did you take it to?  With all the run around you have gotten, it doesn't sound like one the rest of us should be using.  Last year, I used Laughing Gas Motorsports in Clearfield and they had me in and out in less than a week both times I used them.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Oct 05, 2017, 10:55 AM »
He's got it at the arctic cat dealer in layton (mountain tech), The main prob is most the shops start getting pretty backed up once the 1st snow fliys in the high country and thats what I'm thinking is happening. This guy works on about everything so I'm sure he's backed up with everything snow related. When fishon1 replaced the case seal he couldnt get the clutch off so they pulled the clutch off the shaft for him for very cheap compared to the other shops, so now that its getting plenty of fuel to the carbs there's a problem with the motor going WOT once you get to around 2800rpm's. Craziest thing I've ever seen and very dangerous. It was a good thing we had the belt off or it could have been disaterous not to it could have blown a piston out the jug or something. I had to pull the fuel line to get it to shut down finally. After that we decided probably best to let a shop diagnose it and they were so helpful with the clutch and had one of the cheaper shop rates so thast where fishon1 took it. If they dont get on it soon we may have to go get it and drop it off at laughing gas
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 06, 2017, 08:14 AM »
So Matt and company my past experience with putting anything on the tail end of a snowmobile was an incredible amount of whiplash and vibration on gear that is stored back there, now we were snowmobiling and not riding just to get on a pond to fish so that is likely a whole different situation, but I'm still concerned with keeping my gear from getting broken from the shock loads that it will see back there. I have had gas cans come loose and get lost a couple times.  Tried to haul skis there a couple times and ended up with yard sales up and down the slopes, not to mention my tool bag in the old rear storage of the old Polaris' was constantly breaking spark plugs and scattering tools... If I end up getting that new Marcum I'm dreaming of, I don't think I'd dare carry it there because of the bouncing it will see...  My question is has anyone carried stuff on these racks enough to know that it's not going to destroy tender gear? Thanks J

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 06, 2017, 01:30 PM »
 I have an Otter box on the back of my Polaris wide track and have not noticed any difference from the box on my  ATV. The biggest thing for me  is making sure that things are packed fairly close together so that they cannot bounce around all over the place. Things definitely do tend to shift on The fly. I carry fishfinders with no problems so far.  Putting weight on the back of my sled made it difficult to steer last year. After putting new carbides on, it is not so much an issue now. Definitely did change though.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10:41 PM »
OK, so I made some additional changes to the cargo rack/storage I pulled together for the snowmobile I got for this year. Found a perfect sized watertight tote at Sportsman's a few weeks ago and shifted the digger auger rack forward a little to accommodate. The tote fits the flasher and a simple 5-gal bucket inside with room to spare. I did cut the top 2 inches off the top of the bucket. But this way, I can keep using the 5-gal bucket organizer trays I got last season to organize my stuff.  If I go out without the snowmobile, I just move the organizer trays to my other bucket that has a lid and pull it in the jet sled.  Really like the setup as it has room for more inside the tote, as well as room outside in the rack for other msc stuff (jawjackers, emergency rope, tool/emergency bag, etc.).  The tote is held down with simple lashing straps I modified to attach to some pins I installed to the outside of the tote. Now the tote can detach and go on the ski wheeler, in the jet sled, etc and without any holes drilled in the tote, but also doesn't interfere with the lid.  Bonus is the tote is very heavy duty and a second person can sit on it as a seat should I want to take one of the kids, or the wife along. Also lined the rack with the rubber/felt floor runner stuff you can get by the foot at Lowe's. Also added ice scratchers (not pictured) as suggested by the group previously.  I think I'm pretty much set to keep up with all you pro's when we head up to Cascade in January..

Tight lines....

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2017, 12:11 AM »
Very nice! I like how you can transfer your gear from the snowmobile to a sled. I tried to be able to do similar things with my set up’s as well. Makes it a lot easier to take a different vehicles depending on the trip. Good job!

Offline fishonone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • lets get it on
« Reply #29 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:03 AM »
Looks good. Now we just need ice to  see if your hard work pays off

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.