The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Georgetown Ice  (Read 4215 times)

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Georgetown Ice
« on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:06 PM »
Anyone been out to Georgetown during this week? Want to go this week end but wondering about ice, probably still OK.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Georgetown Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2007, 01:07 PM »
I'm wondering myself, I was thinking about going tomorrow.......

Pretty cold out today. Plant weather station says 13 DegF. Pretty sure I will be out there tomorrow also.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2007, 02:59 PM »
I will be at Comers point. Park by the outhouse and I will off to the left about 75 yards out. In an old blue TRAP II.

Offline catgrizfans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:16 PM »
Three of us from the Bitterroot fished at Georgetown Yesterday (12/6).  We fished Badger Bay and there was a solid 6 inches of good ice. Can't speak for the east side of the Lake with all the springs etc. There were a few fishing around Denton's Point. The salmon have not moved over to the West Side, at least where we were. We caught a few stragglers but no schools appeared on our three Vexilars all day. Trout were biting pretty good. Lots of small ones and we kept a limit a peice of 15"-16" inchers for the frying pan. Must have landed and released near 10 Brook Trout between us which tells me they have increased over the last several years of C@Release. About 4 inches of new fresh snow from the night before and that was all. Roads yesterday were all plowed and good. Have a good trip if you go over. ps any news of ice at Brown's Lake?

Offline catgrizfans

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2007, 03:59 PM »
Brown's Lake is about 10 miles east of Ovando. About halfway between Ovando and Lincoln off of Highway 200. Big Rainbow. Very productive Lake but can just go "dead" at times. Been our experience to ice fish it early in the year when the 02 levels are better than later in the season.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2007, 04:04 PM »
Three of us from the Bitterroot fished at Georgetown Yesterday (12/6).  We fished Badger Bay and there was a solid 6 inches of good ice. Can't speak for the east side of the Lake with all the springs etc. There were a few fishing around Denton's Point. The salmon have not moved over to the West Side, at least where we were. We caught a few stragglers but no schools appeared on our three Vexilars all day. Trout were biting pretty good. Lots of small ones and we kept a limit a peice of 15"-16" inchers for the frying pan. Must have landed and released near 10 Brook Trout between us which tells me they have increased over the last several years of C@Release. About 4 inches of new fresh snow from the night before and that was all. Roads yesterday were all plowed and good. Have a good trip if you go over. ps any news of ice at Brown's Lake?

Thanks for report, I have NEVER actually caught a salmon out of Georgetown. I fish for trout but everyone that fishing for salmon that I have talked to fish the same way I fish for trout. Just fish closer to the shore ? Did well on trout last week end so hope the same this week end.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2007, 04:37 PM »
Z2, I've caught them on small glo jigs while catching trout, seen them caught there on corn. No rhyme or reason for it to me, the guys I've talked to who had 5 gallon buckets full of kokanee were using tiny custom made glo jigs and fishing from midnight to sunrise.

jiggy
 I like to fish but putting in a graveyard shift for salmon????? I'll stick to the trout in the daytime.Worked enough graveyard shifts in my day.

I use a pimple [green mostly] with a 14" or so leader to a glow hook[orange or green] tipped with maggots. Maybe have to try some small jigs and see what happens. What color?

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2007, 04:49 PM »
Sounds like exactly what I use, but with a 10-12 inch leader and a small cigar shaped green glo jig instead of the glow hook. It's murder on perch too. The "experts" (they had tons of kokers on the ice) were using tiny pink glo jigs.

tiny pink glo jigs with a pimple or just by itself? Getting colder now and starting to snow.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2007, 09:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure they said under a chrome pimple with a glow insert if you can find them, I've looked and haven't seen them around. Like I said they were fishing at night and charging the jigs/pimple really good. I haven't ever tried it myself.
Thanks Jiggy, I dont have a chrome/glow insert pimple but will start looking for one. Maybe see ya tomorrow? Good luck and have FUN!

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2007, 10:23 PM »
Thanks for the ice info.  Just logged on to post a question about the ice depth at geargetown.  I have never been there before and will be going with a few buddies on sunday.  Just wondering if anyone has any directions to areas to start poking holes without stepping on anyone's toes about their secret sport. 

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2007, 08:16 AM »
Thanks for the ice info.  Just logged on to post a question about the ice depth at geargetown.  I have never been there before and will be going with a few buddies on sunday.  Just wondering if anyone has any directions to areas to start poking holes without stepping on anyone's toes about their secret sport. 

I fish by the pump house, which is right on the highway about 50-75 yards out, straight in line with the big pipe coming down the hill. Or Comers point.

Heading for the lake now will let you know later today how it goes.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2007, 02:43 PM »
Just got back.........landed 15 fish. LOTS of people on the ice today. Looked like a fish derby was going on there were so many people. Fished off Comers point. Fish bite was best 10:00-11:30.

Hey Jiggy: even caught a salmon

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2007, 01:13 AM »
Thanks a lot.  We are still headin out tomorrow on the maiden voyage to Georgetown lake.  Will post results good, fair, poor, or midland.  Thanks for the tip zimmer 2.  How big was the salmon?

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:03 AM »
Salmon was small, maybe 8" put it back down the hole.

Jiggy: To bad we missed each other but.........more days on the ice.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Hey boys, just another little tip on fishing the dropper for Kokes...

Pimple(chrome and green,pink,salmon orange, blue or purple all work, blue and purple seem to just kill when they are on) the 4-6" leader to your dropper.  Kokes always school up.  If you caught one there are more to catch.  Tip the dropper with maggots, just a couple.  If you are really after them, clear the snow away from your ice hole.  The light draws in the Zooplankton which in turn draws the Kokanee in also.  You can also Zoom the ice hole, this will draw Kokes in...

I have caught Kokes 5 feet under the ice in 80ft of water, after clearing a large area of snow away(probably 20-25ft circle).  I fish for them with a guy who limits every time we go, he is unconscious about the little buggers....

Z2's Koke was 8", how big were yours Jiggy?

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2007, 09:52 AM »
Wife and I went up last week, had good luck, C & R a few of everything. 20" trout, 18" brookie, lots of little samon. First time there will have to learn the lake. 6 to 7" of ice most places. Anybody finds a set of truck keys by Grassy Point boat launch area let me know.

Offline wallygiggn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • me and buster
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2007, 05:29 PM »
decent fish, how far is it from Great Falls there?

Offline all4elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2007, 07:20 PM »
i would say you are about 3 hours away.it s about 50 miles from butte.
well went up this morning and pulled out 14 trout.lost a few also.all in all it was not a bad day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.