The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Backcountry Ice  (Read 1195 times)

Offline TheArchitect

• IceShanty Rookie
Backcountry Ice
« on: Jan 04, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Any recommendations for hikeable or snowshoe able mountain ice around Missoula?

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Backcountry Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2020, 12:29 AM »
How much enthusiasm do you have for hiking long distances while pulling or carrying a bunch of ice fishing gear? One way to get access to high backcountry lakes is to ski or snowshoe into them while carrying a hand auger (with the blade well protected) and a minimum of ice fishing gear in your pack.  You'll need to figure out a way to protect your ice fishing rods in or on your pack.  It's tough to haul in an ice fishing sled to a lake unless you get access to the lake via a snowed-in road with a fairly level roadbed. Sleds don't handle sidehills well.

Another way to get access to high backcountry lakes is to snowmobile to them or near to them.  You can pull an ice fishing sled with a trailer hitch behind a snowmobile on relatively level snow-covered roads.

In the Clearwater drainage, examples of backcountry lakes which can be reached via snowed-in roads are Clearwater Lake, which is north of Seeley Lake, and Spook Lake, which is south of Placid Lake.  A fun combination trip in the area south of Superior is Diamond Lake and Cliff Lake.  You can snowmobile into Diamond Lake on a road, and then ski or snowmobile up to Cliff Lake, which is real scenic. Another combination trip is to snowmobile on a snowed-in road up to Bunyon Lake and Meadow Lake, which are west of Lindbergh Lake, and then ski up to Skylark, Eagle, and Beanhole Lakes, which are on the east side of Lindy Peak.

Many lakes are far enough back from a trailhead that you would need to do an overnight trip, which would be tough on foot because you'd need to carry both winter camping gear and ice fishing gear.  An example is Grey Wolf Peak in the south Mission Mountains.  But if you have a snowmobile, you can haul in a big sled full of camping and fishing gear, set up camp, and fish for a couple of days.  I have an eight-person four-season dome tent with a propane heater, stove, and lantern which I use for trips like that.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2020, 11:06 AM »
Excellent information, thanks Pete!  One thing I'd tweak is the auger.  If you can manage to get one, use a Pistol-Bit or similar style auger.  They are featherweight in comparison and, if you're hauling it on your back, can be broken down into more manageable parts, with the drill and battery inside of your pack. 

Offline TheArchitect

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2020, 06:17 AM »
Thanks for the info!

Offline highlakelunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:56 PM »
I don't know many of the mountain lakes around Missoula.  Biggest question I usually start trying to answer is how far can I get up the road toward the trailhead.  If you end up pulling a sled and breaking trail, keep in mind that a lake that you might jog to in an hour during the regular season might take most of the day.  But then I'm usually snowshoeing and pulling way too much stuff on a sled that's way too big, and staying for a few days.  If you've got a backcountry ski setup, it's not a bad way to go if you're doing a day trip.  But keep an eye on avalanche terrain.  Conditions are pretty dangerous right now.  I would think the Bitterroots would have some roads maintained at least up to the end of the subdivisions that might make a nice jumpoff. 

And RuralMT, awesome advice about the auger.  I've been looking for lighter options.  I'm still leery of a battery on multiday trips, but I expect that as long as you warmed it up in your coat prior to use it and weren't drilling 50 holes a day you'd probably be fine.  I keep looking for some type of a chisel or screw setup, but that can take a long time for some of the ice up high.  Although as often as not, it's shallower than down low just because of how much snow is on top. 

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2020, 11:06 AM »
I'm still leery of a battery on multiday trips, but I expect that as long as you warmed it up in your coat prior to use it and weren't drilling 50 holes a day you'd probably be fine.

For sure.  One battery definitely won't cut 50 holes, but that just means you have to be more strategic!  But keeping the battery warm will squeak a little more life out of it.  I always put mine in my sweatshirt pocket once my holes are punched.  I've thought about keeping them in an insulated lunchbox with a few hot-hands, but that just means one more thing to haul out on the ice. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.