The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ft. Peck Lakers  (Read 784 times)

Offline Young Blood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ft. Peck Lakers
« on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:23 AM »
Thinking of heading to Ft. Peck at the end of the month and would like to set a tip up or two out deeper for lake trout while the rest are set shallower for pike/walleye. Anybody have any advice on depths and set ups on tip ups to snag a lunker or two? We will likely be going to the Rock Creek area of the Big Dry Arm.
Keep the Faith

Offline jiggin365

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ft. Peck Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:59 AM »
We'll be at Duck Creek doing the same thing, about the same time.  Would like to hear some input on this from people who have been down there.  Thanks

Offline sbschindler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2014, 11:29 AM »
the lakers I've caught or seen caught during the winter weren't in the deep water, 15' or shallower, location is the key, points extending to the deeper water seemed to be best, look for the original river channel if it is near a particular point its a spot  to check out.

Offline Big Mo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I should Die while Fishing, I Die Happy :-)
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Yes that is True! Although its another lake but on Buffalo Bill Res. by Cody, Wyo. I have fished it with the locals in 50 to 60 feet of water and can catch them quit frequently! I know that they are not very deep during the winter because the water is cold enough 50 degrees or so shallow. and the bait fish are shallow now also. So 15 to 60 feet is all you need to be fishing in! Flashy spoons tipped with chunk of cut bait or a large white jig tipped with cut bait both work very well! Hope this helps you catch a bunch, let us know how you do! Good Fishing and be SAFE, Mo.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:17 PM »
True as to the depth of the lakers, they will be right in with all the other toothy critters over there. We always catch them in less than 30 fow. That's the cool thing about Peck. You never know what's on the end of the line!

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Variety is certainly one the great reasons to fish Peck.

Lakers are a bonus for us usually but not all that uncommon either, as others have said right on main lake points with all the other fish.  Most we get are on tip ups after dark though.

I always enjoy the surprise smallies myself.

Offline Young Blood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2014, 11:26 AM »
Good info! Thanks guys!
Keep the Faith

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.