The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: HELL CREEK  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Ice Freek

• Team IceShanty Regular
HELL CREEK
« on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:45 AM »
Who has been up there lately? We are heading up this weekend any info and tips will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HELL CREEK
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:29 PM »
Meee toooooo ;D

Offline Ice Freek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:16 PM »
Hey Rezeye are you going to be up there this weekend?

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:08 AM »
you know it ;D

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2009, 09:50 AM »
Ice Freek and I should be there around 4am on friday.... when you getting there???? are you staying at the marina? 
l

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2009, 01:24 PM »
see ya saturday, this is my first trip out there.  I know very little about the area. Anyone willing to drop a few tips on finding fish or methods?

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Hey Guys,

Just got back from Peck about an hour ago.  Spent 5 days fishing and had a great time.  While the fishing was slow,  Walltrout, my brother and I managed to catch about 20 nice pike, walleye and lakers plus many perch and one catfish.  Big pike about 15 pounds 39 inches long.  Big eye around 10 pounds by walltrout caught while jigging for perch.  Big laker by me about 10 pounds.  Catfish by me around 5 pounds.

The ice was good when we left today about noon but the surface was melting fast themp. in the 40s.  The ice should remain good but may be sloppy.

We used live and dead minnows.  Big as possible for pike and around 2 inchers for perch and eyes.  Quick strike rigs are the only way to go for pike.

They said the main lake turned over and was fairly muddy and real slow fishing.  Only one big pressure ridge fairly far out, just stay away and cross on the shore on either end if you go that far out.  They said anly a couple small gas pockets on the West shore of the bay so watch out if in that area.

Have a great time. Ding

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline MasterPikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2009, 10:27 PM »
Sounds like a good time Ding. I am gonna have to plan a trip there one of these years.

Offline FishN4Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:39 AM »
Just an FYI, you cannot ride any motorized vehicle on the shore and the FWP really frowns on it, so I wouldn't recommend it.   Not trying to be critical, just don't want someone getting in trouble unnecessarily.   I'm sure Gamedog, Rezeye and Mr. Marty are aware but thought I'd throw it out there for the guys who haven't been there before.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, Ding, and if I did, my apologies.

Good luck fishing guys.
FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 05, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Is there even any sense in going if the friend with the 4 wheeler had to cancel?

I have a regular cab, short box tacoma but Clint at the Marina didn't recommend driving on the lake with it, wonder if I could find a place to rent one?

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #10 on: Mar 05, 2009, 02:27 PM »
Good post on the 4 wheelers on shore.  Out on the West tip of Hell Creek Bay is a small Island with open water between it and shore.  Many are taking a short cut across the land to avoid it and a long way around.  There are reports of guys getting tickest for doing it.

Clint at HCM does rent 4 wheelers for around $40 per day.  Not a bad deal unless you want to walk a couple miles on the ice.  Driving a pick up on the ice is probably never a real good idea.  With the warming temps, it is hard to tell how safe it is going to be.  We did see a couple trucks out there before we left but the conditions can change daily.  Better to be safe than sorry.   Ding

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 05, 2009, 03:06 PM »
That's a heck of a deal, thanks for the information!  I'm going to give them a call this afternoon.  Now if only the weather holds out, supposed to get sloppy here in Great Falls real soon.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2009, 01:39 PM »
How's the ice holding up?  Usually by this time of year we don't have a cube of ice to stand on. Can everyone keep us updated on when the ice comes off?  I'm planning an easter weekend trip and want to know wether to pack ice fishing or open water gear.  Any info is appreciated.
So many fish, so little time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.