The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Ion (New) vs StrikeMaster Electric  (Read 15282 times)

Offline Icepants2

• IceShanty Rookie
Ion (New) vs StrikeMaster Electric
« on: Oct 11, 2012, 06:15 PM »
I would like to purchase an electric auger this year and I would like to get in right the first time. I had my eye on the StrikeMaster for about a year now but I see all the hype for the Ion. If the Ion is all that it is claimed, the decision should be a no brainer. However I still that little voice in the back of my head that says stick with the tried and true product. I really don't want to wait a year to see how the Ion holds up. I have a bad shoulder and have decided on an electric as the way to go. What would you do? In reality I would like to find a big woman to drill my holes for me but that ain't happening!

Thanks - Ice2

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Ion (New) vs StrikeMaster Electric
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2012, 06:49 PM »
I guess I would go for it if I wanted an electric auger. One thing to bear in mind is replacement batteries run $150 if ya ever need a replacement.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2012, 06:51 PM »
The Strikemaster electric auger has been out for a long time already, probably over 10 years so chances are if you need parts for it another decade down the road you can get parts. The ION will probably be around a few years and then drop off the face of the earth. The Electra Lazer looks best to me because you can run it off of the on-board battery or plug it into a quad, truck or other vehicle with a 12v system or even plug it into a cigarette lighter to charge. With the ION you are stuck with using battery packs only. The Lazer will not get as many holes as the ION and may drill a little slower but over the long haul I see it being a better option. The Lazer also takes standard Gel Cell 12v 9ah batteries which you can buy for around $20-$25 each which are a lot cheaper than the ION batteries. Up to you, it is just a fairly easy choice for me. There are videos of both on Youtube so do some searching.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2012, 06:58 PM »
What would you do? In reality I would like to find a big woman to drill my holes for me but that ain't happening!

Thanks - Ice2

If your not stuck on a big woman to drill your holes I would suggest hanging out with the bikini ice team gals, they can handle augers with the best of the men.  @)

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2012, 08:28 AM »
It all depends on what type of fishing you do. If you are on foot all the time, you might not like the strikemaster as you will only get a few holes before it is dead. But if you are on a quad or truck you can just hook it up to your battery and drill as many holes as you want.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Fish Hounds

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2012, 08:52 AM »
Just Saying!!!  :o
&feature=channel&list=UL

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2012, 08:56 AM »
If your not stuck on a big woman to drill your holes I would suggest hanging out with the bikini ice team gals, they can handle augers with the best of the men.  @)
Yeah, but how much fishin would he get done??  :whistle:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2012, 10:23 AM »
My concern with the batt powered ones...a gas engine will last a long, long, time if you take care of it, but how often will that ION battery last? Batteries gotta go sometime, even the best of 'em, I'm just sayin'.  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 12, 2012, 10:49 AM »
My concern with the att powered ones...a gas engine will last a long, long, time if you take care of it, but how often will that ION battery last? Batteries gotta go sometime, even the best of 'em, I'm just sayin'.  ::)
For whatever my opinion is worth, I would go with the new Strikemaster 4 stoke with the Honda engine. I would give the battery augers a couple more years to see how they pan out in the long run!! ;)2 :whistle: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 12, 2012, 11:36 AM »
For whatever my opinion is worth, I would go with the new Strikemaster 4 stoke with the Honda engine. I would give the battery augers a couple more years to see how they pan out in the long run!! ;)2 :whistle: :icefish:

They lose their "punch" after a couple years if they even last.that long. Problem with an ice auger is it will sit around during the off season with no use which makes batteries go to crap even faster in my experience. I would rather replace a $25 9ah gel cell battery than a $150 LiON. Can buy a bunch of extra spare gel cells also.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 12, 2012, 11:50 AM »
They lose their "punch" after a couple years if they even last.that long. Problem with an ice auger is it will sit around during the off season with no use which makes batteries go to crap even faster in my experience. I would rather replace a $25 9ah gel cell battery than a $150 LiON. Can buy a bunch of extra spare gel cells also.
I would just rather buy unoxygenated gas and run a good additive!! Start it up once a month in the off season and you're good to go!! That Honda 4 stroke should last a lifetime with decent care!! IMHO!! ::) :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 12, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Honda is overrated IMO. I have worked on them and really do not see what all the fuss is about. I know Honda was putting plastic camshafts in their small weedeater sized engines a few years ago but I do not know if they still do. So I would not give them the nod for longevity. The old 2-stroke Tecumsehs have been known to last for decades even when not being treated the best. I see a place for electric augers I just would rather use a hand auger or a 2-stroke gas auger.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #12 on: Oct 12, 2012, 01:01 PM »
Just Saying!!!  :o
&feature=channel&list=UL

I would get the ION....

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Oct 12, 2012, 01:03 PM »
Honda is overrated IMO. I have worked on them and really do not see what all the fuss is about. I know Honda was putting plastic camshafts in their small weedeater sized engines a few years ago but I do not know if they still do. So I would not give them the nod for longevity. The old 2-stroke Tecumsehs have been known to last for decades even when not being treated the best. I see a place for electric augers I just would rather use a hand auger or a 2-stroke gas auger.
I guess time will tell, won't it?? Have fun with your hand auger!! My arthritis doesn't like them anymore!! :o ::) :thumbsup: :clap: ;)2 :whistle: :icefish:

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 12, 2012, 01:05 PM »
If weight isn't an issue id go with a jiffy pro 4 propane auger!! Im used to carting all my gear in my arms and buckets so it doesn't bother me and now that I have a sled again its no concern at all!
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Oct 12, 2012, 01:20 PM »
If weight isn't an issue id go with a jiffy pro 4 propane auger!! Im used to carting all my gear in my arms and buckets so it doesn't bother me and now that I have a sled again its no concern at all!
That's another great alternative, and as long as you have a sled, the weight isn't an issue! Walmart has had a pretty decent price on the 1# cylinders, plus there are kits to recharge the bottles! Info on doing that is here on the site somewhere!! Was something about putting the bottles in the freezer first to more fully charge them!! Good luck this ice season!! :icefish:

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2012, 02:33 PM »
I got the strikemaster last year and love it ! It works for me and how I fish ! I've cut well over 20 holes in 14-16 inches of ice on one battery ( it still said fully charged ) I have the wheeler so that option is nice . In the wheel house no fumes .
  Electra augers are not for everyone and the Electra has been out for awhile . Strikemaster in my option has great customer service . Dont get me wrong I like the IOn but it's new I'll let them work the bugs out first .
If you have your heart set on going electric I would go with the Electra . Cost less batteries are less and it's had the time to prove itself ( in the electric auger field )
---- Joe ----

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2012, 10:19 AM »
That Ion is a nice looking auger..
All you guys worried about the battery, check out their FAQ section:
http://www.ioniceaugers.com/foundations/store/storepage.asp?page=FAQ

Says it will last 600-800 full recharge cycles. And charges from dead to full in 2.5hrs..

Lighter, better, more efficient, no maintenance, no gas, same price.. No brainer...

Its also worth noting, the Ion will do 40 holes thru 2 FEET of ice on a single charge. Anything less than 2 feet your gunna get more holes..
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2012, 06:50 PM »
You just have to keep them charged up like any flasher battery. They wont drain themselves in a month like a SLA does. The batteries should last 5-6 years before you see any change in performance.. that goes with any lithium battery.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Oct 14, 2012, 07:25 PM »
The only thing i dont like about the Ion is the battery warranty of 1 year..
Kinda leaves me thinking that they dont trust them much longer than that.
I think 3 year warranty on them would have gone a LONG way to helping with sales.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Oct 14, 2012, 09:09 PM »
The only thing i dont like about the Ion is the battery warranty of 1 year..
Kinda leaves me thinking that they dont trust them much longer than that.
I think 3 year warranty on them would have gone a LONG way to helping with sales.

Cant warrant a battery as you never know how many years it has been sitting on the stores shelves or in a warehouse somewhere.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2012, 04:45 AM »
Toyota warranties its batteries for 10years, i believe the Honda Insight has a lifetime battery warranty..
Asking for 3 years isnt much, especially when they claim it can handle 800 full recharge cycles.
You would literally have to recharge it from dead to full every day for over 2 years to kill it in less than 3 years.
I dont know anyone that can ice fish all year..

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2012, 09:26 AM »
In a vehicle it is constantly being recharged.  The factory has no control over how you treat your batteries.  If they are fully charged soon after they are drained, they should last 3 years without any problem.    If you draw them down and let them sit in the cold for days..... well.... you're gonna have problems.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Toyota warranties its batteries for 10years, i believe the Honda Insight has a lifetime battery warranty..
Asking for 3 years isnt much, especially when they claim it can handle 800 full recharge cycles.
You would literally have to recharge it from dead to full every day for over 2 years to kill it in less than 3 years.
I dont know anyone that can ice fish all year..

A car battery is about as far away from a lithium battery as you can get.

Car batteries throw a bunch of amps right away to start it, then get held at full charge throughout your driving. Then the next day it repeats. With a flasher type battery it gets used slowly for one day, charged for the next, then it may sit for 8 months at no charge. Or it could leave the factory charged and sit in a warehouse for 3-4 years before being sold.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2012, 07:29 PM »
In the battery biz, there is a saying "Most Batteries are murdered!"

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 18, 2012, 09:47 AM »
I have the lectra lazer 7 inch. I usually get 12 to 14 holes in 18 to 20 inch ice on one battery. The good thing about the Strikemaster is it uses the same battery (25 to 30 bucks) as the Humminbird portable fishfinders that the wife and I use so if auger battery gets low...just switch out because the fishfinder doesnt need near the amperage to run. Only once did I have to switch both batteries out. we drilled a lot of holes that day trying to find some fish.
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 24, 2012, 08:32 PM »
Ice pants
I have used electric augers exclusively for years know. The uses of electric has many benefits and to you this ION answers some of them for you,  Not gas obviously. It is well balanced and easy to hold, This will help reduce strain on a lower back that may come from using some other augers.  Longevity,  Obviously since my using electric exclusively and having a background dealing with dc powered devices some things need to be considered.  Your run time is a direct relationship of voltage and amp hours.  Higher voltage with higher amperage spells longer run times.  , This is where some have fell short in the past. Gearing is next  with proper gearing you can drop weight and lower amperage while maintaining runtime. It all sounds a bit much but these are all big factors in this decision.  With all this stated the ION has fulfilled what many others have missed and has perfected what some succeeded with.  I hope I have answered your question properly.

I would like to purchase an electric auger this year and I would like to get in right the first time. I had my eye on the StrikeMaster for about a year now but I see all the hype for the Ion. If the Ion is all that it is claimed, the decision should be a no brainer. However I still that little voice in the back of my head that says stick with the tried and true product. I really don't want to wait a year to see how the Ion holds up. I have a bad shoulder and have decided on an electric as the way to go. What would you do? In reality I would like to find a big woman to drill my holes for me but that ain't happening!

Thanks - Ice2

Offline crankshaft013

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 02, 2012, 09:44 AM »
I don't have the first bit of experience with an electric auger, and I think I read everything here, but if someone else has already said this, I'm sorry for the repeat....

If the Electra takes a regular Lead Acid battery, and the concern is run time on a standard 9ah battery....  why not just buy a bigger battery right off the hop..  you can get lead acid batteries the same physical dimensions as the 9ah in all different Amp Hour ratings..

Why not just bump up to a 22AH battery..  same physical size, still 12v.  You've more than doubled your available battery usage, and you have a brand new spare 9AH battery for a good back up, or a new spare for your flasher or whatever...

Just my 0.2's

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 03, 2012, 08:29 PM »
The 12Volt 9ah battery weighs 6lbs 8ozs. The 12Volt 12ah battery weighs 8lbs 4ozs. Do the math.
12Volt 22ah battery would be in the 15lb range.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline CZMark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2012, 07:39 AM »
Some of you guys are speaking as though lithium-ion technology is brand new and untested. I use (and sometimes slightly abuse) lithium-ion power tools in my work--the same tools I purchased three years ago. Other than replacing brushes on a drill motor, I have had zero problems.

The light weight of lithium batteries and motors is enough to prevent me from ever going back to older technology--although there are many other reasons.

If I had the extra cash to spend, I would stand in line to get an ION auger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.