Author Topic: Attractant Scents for Lakers  (Read 11179 times)

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Attractant Scents for Lakers
« on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:49 AM »
Does anyone have any experinece using fish attractant oils (Dr. Juice, etc.) on your baits or lures fishing for lakers?  I use them during the spring and summer on lures that I troll behind my downriggers.  Wondering if it is worthwhile to try under the ice.

Thanks- Mike

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Attractant Scents for Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2005, 07:03 AM »
try it, and let us know if it helps you.

remember, there are no hard and fast rules in fishing.

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2005, 09:54 AM »
I use Smelt Rite at times... I really don't know if it makes a difference...whatever makes you more confident I suppose.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Jager,  I use smelly jelly.  Pick the flavor that best matches your fish, (herring, anchovy, or salmon feast)  The jel formula is best for ice fishing, because it dosen't turn into a wad of vaseline on your hook.  Good luck!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:00 PM »
I don't know, a little "fish attractant" probably can't hurt.  ;)

good point ;D I always make sure I have my fish attractant...poor HOOD forgot his last time and was cursing himself all day :o

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:28 PM »
i use the same as barley dog in the smelt scent. i put it on my lures and some on my leaders on my tip ups. noticed a slight difference with it as opposed to with out.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2005, 02:05 PM »
Adding scents certainly does not hurt. I find lakers will seldom touch a lure that is not tipped with cutbait however.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2005, 12:38 PM »
I don’t fish much anymore for lake trout through the ice, when I troll for them during tough times I make up a brine of herring oil and dead fish guts. I soak my lures in it for a few hours. Its makes a little difference. This stuff stinks to high hell. I’m sure you can try it for ice fishing too.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2005, 12:43 PM »
good point ;D I always make sure I have my fish attractant...poor HOOD forgot his last time and was cursing himself all day :o

i was very bitter.... :%$#!:

Offline AdkIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice is Nice
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2005, 09:17 PM »
i rub a little smelt rite on my hands before i set up my tip ups so when i grab the baits and what not i dont have any foreign scent on my  hands such as gas from the augur or coffee or beer or whiskey or anything of the sort..............
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.   ~Waylon~

Offline Trout Sen-Sei

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trout fanatic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Pro-cure makes many good scents,oils, and gels. I use them a lot with good results.

Offline UPSTATE ICEMASTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Powers Of "FISH ATTRACTANT"
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:34 PM »
  UPSTATE NY....  makes one h*ll   :flex: of a fish attractant only the special fisherman know the secrets  ;)
" JUST TRYIN TO GET HER DONE"

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:57 PM »
Did you finally figure a way to can some of that "HOT AIR" fish attractant U.I.? :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline SUCKERMEAT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ANYWHERE!!!! ANYTIME!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2006, 03:50 AM »
A well respected Granby guide swears by attractants for larger fish.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2006, 07:40 AM »
i coat the line on the real with it. i like the stuff that has anise it smells like black liquorish.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2006, 02:29 PM »
I don't know, a little "fish attractant" probably can't hurt.  ;)

I dont leave home with out the fish attractant.

Offline BowSlayerVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2006, 05:03 PM »
I like to use it on lures, but when it comes to live bait on tips I want them to swallow the bait. I just think they might spit it out before I can get to the the flag once they realize they're getting tricked. I prefer no foreign smell on my bait. Natural smells are different, like if you ground up some dead fish.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2006, 02:17 AM »
I use smelly jelly for lakers in the summer time.  I have noticed a huge difference in catch rates using it.

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:05 AM »
Well, I'll tell you folks a little about Smelt-Rite, since I'm the one who invented it. I didn't invent it to sell it. I invented it for use on a very special lake (Quabbin Reservoir) in Massachusetts, when I was a kid. There was a law that prohibited the use of live or dead smelt in the lake, during certain months and I was a lake trout and salmon junkie back then. I came up with the idea of a smelt-oil that could be used to soak dead baits in, or dribble onto other live minnows, to help them imitate live or wounded smelt. Later, when I became a guide, many of my clients wanted some to take home. The only way I could make enough for that to be possible, was to make it in greater amounts. At that point, local baitshops and stores started calling me and it went on from there. We seldom advertise still. Word-of-mouth is about it. Fish307.com (which sponsors this site) buys as much as any dealer these days, for that matter. We have a LOT of Great Lakes charter captains who order it in bulk and my wife and I still use it ourselves, year round too. That's all I'll say about it, as far as it's effectiveness. You be the judge. But we seldom have poor luck, I'll say that much.   -Jim

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2006, 05:07 PM »
jim111 do you use the roe sacs or the whole smelt if you cuold let this info go  thanks the more detail the beter :tipup:
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2006, 03:35 AM »
We grind the whole smelt to make the product. So it smells like a smelt "tastes" as opposed to how a live smelt smells. It more imitates a wounded fish than a healthy one. But it's not like lakers are all that fussy anyway. -Jim

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2006, 12:10 PM »
thanks a lot jim  :tipup:
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:34 AM »
Hi Dan,

When I lived in AK and went after lakers, we used chunks of round whitefish, if we had it. I'd fish half the summer, just to get bait to freeze for burbot and lakers in the fall & winter. We put the baits right on the bottom and yes, we soaked them first in our smelt oil. I had brought a supply with me, when I moved up there. Both burbot and lakers loved it, by the way. You can email me through my website at :
www.ridgerunnerscents. com

-Jim

Offline Jim111

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Central VT
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2006, 07:11 AM »
We fished some of the lakes on the road to Tok, Paxon I think was one? Plus my buddy had a plane and we flew in (skis) to several that I never did know the names of, if they even had names that is? We lived in Fairbanks too, by the way. I used to jig for grayling and whitefish on the Chena, up a half mile or so from where it dumps into the Tanana. Lots of those gravel ponds along the various tote roads and highways had whitefish in them too and some MONSTER grayling too. The round whitefish are easy to tell, as they are very slender, built more like a grayling. They don't get very big either, at least none of the ones I ever caught. I used to love to fish for burbot on the Tanana, where that slough dumps in, just upstream from the Chena (out by the airport). Caught some big pike in that slough too! I worked at a little restaurant in North Pole called The Elf's Den. Is it still there? Good fishing out that way too. We used to get some nice grayling and whitefish on Badger Slough out that way.  -Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.