Author Topic: Mississinewa Res Report  (Read 5554 times)

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mississinewa Res Report
« Reply #30 on: Feb 11, 2014, 06:55 PM »
No, you did not hurt my feelings.. And I apologize as well!!.. I was more or less just making a suggestion on the parking.. I am the same and want everyone to have the fun & catch fish... Peace!!.. Lol.

Ok Ed and I just hugged  ;D

Offline matfalk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:36 PM »
I'm heading up in the morning.  If you see 2 guys, one in a red ice suit and the other in tan carharts come say hi.

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2014, 07:49 PM »
I think I am getting weepy with all this sweet talk.  Thanks to all that help out on here.  Go fish!

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:56 PM »
I think I am getting weepy with all this sweet talk.  Thanks to all that help out on here.  Go fish!
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now that is funny!

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:57 PM »
I'm heading up in the morning.  If you see 2 guys, one in a red ice suit and the other in tan carharts come say hi.
I will !

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They're biting by that guy over there!!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 12, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Did things get quiet at Missy???   I think im just going to try the Sal this weekend...

Offline kesdadddy7597

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 12, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Hit missy around noon today.  First area I tried yielded 3 keepers, 2 of which were marginal.  About 4 I headed to the other side of the bridge, and found out I left my fish sack at spot 1.  Didn't go back for it, as I was tired already.  Caught 14 more all on jiggin raps.  Mostly eaters, but I did have a couple hogs.  I would have some pics, but I donated my fish to a guy I met from Indy who I fished with all day.  All in all a good day, fished a new lake, caught a few fish and talked to some good guys.

Offline chicagill34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • They're biting by that guy over there!!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 13, 2014, 04:39 AM »
Thats Cool!!

Offline I Walton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 13, 2014, 07:36 AM »
Went fishing about 5:30 PM Wed. night and caught 3 crappie in a little over an hour.  About 10 others fishing. If you have any plans to ice fish the Mississinewa this year you have about one week left in the season.  The forecast next week is calling for daytime temps in the 50s and nights above freezing. With all the snow on the ground melting and the possibility of rain the water level will be up well over 10 to 20 ft. Flooding is predicted. Still over 12 inches of ice so bring a sharp auger!

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 13, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Hit missy around noon today.  First area I tried yielded 3 keepers, 2 of which were marginal.  About 4 I headed to the other side of the bridge, and found out I left my fish sack at spot 1.  Didn't go back for it, as I was tired already.  Caught 14 more all on jiggin raps.  Mostly eaters, but I did have a couple hogs.  I would have some pics, but I donated my fish to a guy I met from Indy who I fished with all day.  All in all a good day, fished a new lake, caught a few fish and talked to some good guys.

Found your bag with crappie in it this morning, I left it, not sure if someone would come back for it. Fishing was great  ::)

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Ok Ed and I just hugged  ;D
Awe shucks, you guys are gonna make me cry :(  NOT  ;D   Too bad we aren't in Colorado, you could pass the peace pipe down the line ROFL

Offline kesdadddy7597

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 13, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Found your bag with crappie in it this morning, I left it, not sure if someone would come back for it. Fishing was great  ::)

Did you do well where my bag was?

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 14, 2014, 07:47 AM »

Did you do well where my bag was?

No, nothing. Moved all around and drilled a lot of holes. After two hours we left.(we have jobs and such) There was one shanty by the ramp when we got there and that was it. A couple guys coming down as we were leaving. Not what we expected after reading this post, oh well.

Offline drine_11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 14, 2014, 04:46 PM »
Fished for a few hours there today and it was a tough bite.  Ended up with about 11 between the 2 of us.  Some  guys I talked to said they havent caught anthing, never got a bite, or caught just a couple.   Heard they were biting decent in the morning but it all changed about noon.   May pick up again in the evening bite.

Offline bhoov20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:06 PM »
What are you guys catching the crappies on

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2014, 10:37 PM »
Awe shucks, you guys are gonna make me cry :(  NOT  ;D   Too bad we aren't in Colorado, you could pass the peace pipe down the line ROFL

LOL ^^^^^ I stopped going to Missy and have been on the gill hunt on some private ponds. I got skeerd ED and his boys would beat me up! They would be like coyotes circling me while talking on their cell phones. ;D AND I have heard through the grape vine some of his fishing pals are cage fighters! AHROOOO ! I hope to be back to work next week if the weather warms up!

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2014, 03:27 AM »
Fished yesterday evening, bite was not fast but was consistant. Ended up giving a few away. Left before dark just as the bite seemed to be picking up. There were guys doing much better than i. Shallower water seemed to be better. It's been a good winter with thousands of fish being harvested. Forecast for next week could bring changes to resi's so if your wanting to get on some crappie you should plan on it soon.

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #47 on: Feb 15, 2014, 05:59 AM »
Fished yesterday evening, bite was not fast but was consistant. Ended up giving a few away. Left before dark just as the bite seemed to be picking up. There were guys doing much better than i. Shallower water seemed to be better. It's been a good winter with thousands of fish being harvested. Forecast for next week could bring changes to resi's so if your wanting to get on some crappie you should plan on it soon.
Great info bigr. I'm going to be there after noon today. Going with a buddy. I'll be in a Camo Artic Armor Suit. If you are there and see me, come and say Hi!
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 15, 2014, 07:09 AM »
I'll be there also afternoon in a little two man blue shanty, east side of bridge.

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 15, 2014, 07:53 AM »

Not to sound like a downer, but what impact will this winter's fishing have on the spring/summer crappie bite and next winter ice bite ? I knows it's taboo to mention select harvest, but I've seen a lot of 7"-8" crappie being taking out. Hey whatever, if your not breaking the law I guess take all you can till there is no more, who am I to say otherwise.

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #50 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:11 AM »
Not to sound like a downer, but what impact will this winter's fishing have on the spring/summer crappie bite and next winter ice bite ? I knows it's taboo to mention select harvest, but I've seen a lot of 7"-8" crappie being taking out. Hey whatever, if your not breaking the law I guess take all you can till there is no more, who am I to say otherwise.
Oh no you didn't open up this can of worms. :unsure: The response to the post won't be GOOD. :cookoo: :%$#!:
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:21 AM »
Oh no you didn't open up this can of worms. :unsure: The response to the post won't be GOOD. :cookoo: :%$#!:

No no, all wrong, not a can of worms just some honest biologic based talk on the impact. Why can't we just talk about this like mature educated adults. I mean by all means do whatever you feel like, God given right, no body tells me, and so on; but shouldn't we at least ask the question ? I'm just curious if any what impact it will have.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 15, 2014, 08:26 AM »
Sum us aint that edumakated   ::)

Offline I Walton

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 15, 2014, 09:51 AM »
 I have lived here since 1973 and fished the Mississinewa every year I have seen a cycle of crappie of about 5 to 7 years. Last year I could catch 20 -30 crappies and keep 5 with the rest 4 inches or less. This year they are 9-10 inches with a few in the 12 inch slot. This week on 13th. Big Willie and I caught about 40 and yesterday I fished for about 90 min. around 4:00 PM and caught 10 and kept 6 in the 9-10 inch size. When the weather is really cold and windy I drive to the Post Office to pick up the mail and then go across Red Bridge to count the fishermen. I have not seen a really large number - usually about six shanties. The people around us seem to release the smaller fish. I have been fishing in about 8 - 9 feet and marking fish around 6 ft. Some days they are aggressive and hit a green and white ice fishing jig tipped with a single salmon egg. These were left over from a whitefish trip to the pier at St. Joe, MI last spring. I usually tip with a bee moth. This late in the season the schools of crappie move through and the Vexilar lights up and the bite is on. Then the screen goes blank for a period of time and they come back through again. The parking is not bad as someone plowed the parking area south of the bridge. I hope this will keep every one calm and avoid another nasty exchange! If it warms up and the snow begins to melt the level of the lake will rise rapidly and while there will be a lot of ice but you will have to swim out to it!  So check the Corp. of Engineer web site before you travel a long distance to try to fish. Level today 712 ft. which is winter pool.  Tight lines to all!!!

Offline kyron4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 15, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Good info., I have always heard Crappie are on a 5 year cycle. Maybe over harvest helps ? I know in '10 and '11 I did really well. lots of fish with average running 10"-10.5" and a good amount of 11"-12" with a few up to 14". Then in '12 and '13 seemed like a lot of dinks and less fish. Weather could have played a part in that also.

Offline drine_11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Bite was about the worst I have ever seen it at Missy.  Fished along side about 8 guys and there was a span for over an hour where none of us marked a single fish.  I fished for 3 hours and managed 2 fish.  One guy said there were a few fish caught at first light but that was about it.

Offline crappiekilr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 17, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Bite was about the worst I have ever seen it at Missy.  Fished along side about 8 guys and there was a span for over an hour where none of us marked a single fish.  I fished for 3 hours and managed 2 fish.  One guy said there were a few fish caught at first light but that was about it.
sounds about like salamonie this weekend
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work

Offline DocDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 17, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Was that today? ED and the cell phone rangers must have caught em all! ;D Now ED I just funning ya ! Don't go getting all PO :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.