Author Topic: Spring Bobbers ??  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
Spring Bobbers ??
« on: Dec 12, 2005, 05:25 PM »
Hey gang,
I am looking for those spring bobbers (the ones that are actual coiled springs).  Footdoc, if you check this post, I noticed you were using them last year, and I have seen a coupl of other guys using them.  I have heard of guys making them the spring in a bic lighter, but I guess I am not the inovative, I'd rather buy 'em if I could find  'em.  Any ideas where to look... I have been checkin high and low, and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
Carp

Offline scroungydog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Penguinphobic
Re: Spring Bobbers ??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2005, 05:46 PM »
Hey Carp!   Ye ole tackle box in N. Webster had a bunch of them hanging on one of the racks. Had orange paint on the last couple coils. Talk to the old fart behind the counter and he said he has a couple tricks up his sleeve with those!!
Penguins are not your Friends!!!!!

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:22 PM »
I make em from the lighter, butfrabill and thorne brothers both sell them. Frabills are made to fit on most rod tips. Paul

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2005, 07:19 PM »
My Rods come from the Busco area and the springs are already built in em,they are called Gaff Rods,In my opinion,the best money can buy,they're in the 35-50 dollar range

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2005, 07:19 PM »
Spring bobbers are the only way to go, I just got introduced to them last year.  I was out fishing with a coworker and he really put it to me, he caught about 40 fish and I only got 7 all day.  The fish were just biting so lightly that day, that I wasn't seeing my bites, because the little slip float wouldn't go under.  The slightest touch by the fish will get that spring moving.  It takes a little getting used to though, staring at the spring for so long, sometimes things go blury.  Once you get the eye for it, you will never regret it and you will always have the spring on when you go fishing.  I saw in your other post about the Aqua View how you didn't see the fish bite when they inhaled it, with a spring bobber you will definately see it.

I bought a few packs at Gander Mountain, they should still have them.  Be sure you get the thinnest wire spring you can find.  I bought some spring thing last year that would barely move because the metal was so thick.  
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2005, 07:59 PM »
Do you just use spring bobbers when dead sticking?
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:19 PM »
Hey Carp1! Are you sold on the coil spring type? The only downside to these would be on a windy day they are moving all over the place. If
I was going to buy this type, Like marmooskapaul said frabill sells them in 3packs for around $5.99. I couldn't find them in Fort Wayne anywhere. The good thing about them is they snap  on the ends without glue or shrink wrap. The other post by Jimmy, mentioned Brent Gaff rods called Gaffite. I own two of them and you can not go wrong.
He offers different styles of spring bobbers. He sells rods all over the world. Last but not least Bruce said get the thinnest wire you can find
good advice much More sensitive. I fished with Bruce when he used floats still. Glad to here he converted. Panfisherman? Then spring bobbers are a must!!
Later Greg
Fish on!

Offline the1jayson

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Holy Crap-E Netman
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:20 PM »
I have the Frabill Panfish Poppers and I used them for the 1st time last Friday, worked fine except they fell out of the eye quite a bit. I'm thinking that I'm gonna epoxy it into th eye, or something. Also I was using my aqua-view and the dinks I was catching didn't even budge the bobber caught them because I saw them take the jig on cam. but I'm talking about some dinks, caught 2 bass that couldn't of been any bigger than 3" lol :o

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:24 PM »
I caught two minnow sized bass out of a pond last year. It was crazy!
Greg
Fish on!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2005, 08:29 PM »
Piggyn....you use 'em on your pole that your jigging. Watch your spring it will tell you when you have a bite. I suppose you could use them on a dead stick. I use tip ups as my dead sticks so I have no experience with em dead sticking
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:10 AM »
Hey greg2ha,
I am sold on the coil style spring bobbers.... they just seem to be more sensitive than even the wire ones.. I have just been really impressed when guys are seeing bites, and I am not even on the wire spring bobbers....

Thanks for all the info fellas, knew I could count on you.... I will check Frabill's web site and see if I can order them on line... Anyother suggestions, please keep them coming.
Carp

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:22 AM »
St. Croix also sells spring bobbers they come in different sensitivities so you can fit them to what type of fishing your going to do.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Fisherben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:20 AM »
I was at bait & hook monday 12-12 and they had a very good selection of spring bobbers frabills and st.croix.

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:41 AM »
I may have to have one of you fella's hook me up from one of your local bait stores if i can't locate them here.... I found the Frabil on line, but they don't have there own website, it was through sport stores, and I did see the St. Croix ones too.  I like the frabill one I think better... I did see they make a sweet looking rod with the bobber built in and it looked pretty inexpensive. 
Carp

Offline FXjohn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2005, 03:03 PM »
Meijer's in Angola has spring bobbers

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 13, 2005, 04:09 PM »
The Frabill Panfish Popper is a series of light and ultralight rods for pannies.  It comes with a built in coil-type spring bobber.  I have 3 and use them all the time.  They also sell a universal spring bobber in 3packs that will fit in the last eyelet of any ice rod. 

The only gripe I have with this sort of spring bobber is that it ices up easily if you're using it out in really cold and windy conditions.  Couple that with Fireline braid and you start getting really frayed line.  But other than that I like em and wouldn't fish pannnies any other way.

bucket

cisco

« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2005, 05:52 PM »
Gave up on anything on the end of my rod to indicate striles.  I use 4lb golden stren and a 2 lb florocarbon leader on the end.  I just watch the line for any movement.  Works great.

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:12 PM »
I have a UL and a M St. Croix Legend on order. I'll let you know how they fair once they show up sometime this week..... I hope....

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:24 PM »
I bought mine at Big R.  They are extremely sensitive and catch alot of fish but ices up easily.  Ive been using a thin round wire spring bobber that easily attaches to the rod tip.  Still very sensitive with less ice ups.
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:06 PM »
Hey Carp1! The catalog I got from 877icefish.com has them for 5.99 for 3 , but when
I looked on line I did not see them. :(
Greg
Fish on!

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2005, 07:26 PM »
I use HT  HI-VIZ Fluorescent Super-Sensitive Spring Bobber on my cheap $12 HT 21 inch Polar Lites noodle.  I don't mess around with those shrinking rubber things they put in the package because I broke a rod tip last trying to use those.  I simply use a small piece of electric tape to hold it in place.  I buy pretty much all my ice fishing gear at Gander Mountain.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.