Author Topic: FL-18 vs FL-8  (Read 4334 times)

Offline jlc_hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spam America's New fad diet
FL-18 vs FL-8
« on: Dec 04, 2005, 08:44 PM »
I know I can count on you all for straight answers...is the FL-18 worth the money?
I use the 80/20 rule you need 80% of the tackle to catch 20% of the fish

Offline Pitcherbeb

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: FL-18 vs FL-8
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2005, 09:24 PM »
I sure think so! I almost always use the split screen on my flasher which is extremely helpful in seeing those fish right on the bottom. I never leave home without it! I got the Genz box which saved me a few bucks rather than getting the propack.
Women want me, fish fear me!

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2005, 09:58 PM »
ive got the fl-18 genzpack also...its great..definately worth the money

Offline Fisherben

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2005, 11:22 PM »
I have the fl-18 and see a lot of fish on the split screen that guys with the fl-8 can't see. Often the fish with there belly on the bottom can be teased into coming up for a bite to eat.
Definitely worth the money, I have the propack and love the tackle box holder on the unit. I have a tendency to wander from my basecamp and having extra jigs can be a life saver. It's also great for storing terminal tackle I'll never go without my vexi and it has all my extra hooks/bobbers sinkers on it's back.

Offline casey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2005, 05:24 AM »
     I use an FL8.....it's 4 yrs old so it doesn't have the real bright display, like the newer ones. I have used it in shallow water which I was told it couldn't be used in...worked well there at 5 ft. My uncle (who iced fished once) bought it and never used it. When he started spending winters in Florida he gave it to me to use. It may not be as elaborate as the 18 but I've caught my share of fish and then some...I think its just as good as any of them. It boils down to what you think you need, what you really need and what you can get by with. They all serve the same purpose but 8 does it cheaper. 

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2005, 05:43 AM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with the fl-8, I got the fl-18 because it was the newest at the time i bought it. I think it shows fish better on the zoom side, more so than the whole water column. But doubt I would go out and put $400.00 down if i already had an FL-8.

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:29 AM »
I've had both of em,I went back to the FL-8,Ive even tried the marcum LX-3 and the 8 is what I like,I can tell ya this,if ya wanna catch more fish ya better get one ;),

Jimmy Lang

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:41 AM »
I've had a fl8 for around seven years. I like it just fine, but would like to know if anyone has sent there older models in and had them fixed so the screen is brighter? Can they even do this? Thanks Paul
Also saw on Iceshanty, on another post, that Vexilar sells re-furbished models with 2 year warranty, at a little better price than new ones.

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2005, 02:13 PM »
Only the FL-18 has the bottom lock, right?
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline lakehopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2005, 02:45 PM »
they do sell refurbished units on the vexilar web site
a guy could save around 70$ but then i dont know what shipping would cost
If ya cant dazzle them with brilliance baffle um with [IMG]

Offline jlc_hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spam America's New fad diet
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2005, 03:31 PM »
Sounds like the guys with the 18 love it and the others are just glad to have a vex...
I use the 80/20 rule you need 80% of the tackle to catch 20% of the fish

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:18 PM »
I have a Vexilar FL8, A Si-tex FL8 and a Vexilar FL18. My take is this:
In water that falls in the 8 to 25ft range the Vexilar is fine. Same goes for the Si-tex and I'm sure the same can be said about the Hondex and Micronar FL8's However, for Deep-and I mean Deep baby-water the zoom feature on the FL18 is the cats ass! (can I say that?) I would have to cry if I couldn't bring it to Devils Lake. Now for really shallow, you know that 3 to 7 ft stuff that you could use your eyes for if only you had 32 inch neck with a 90 degree bend in it? Well, the power supressor  on the FL18 sure does clear up the clutter and allow you to see whats happening down there. Both units are awsome and they can both be used succesfully in any situation, but the 18 has some benefits that just make things easier!
Thats just my 2 cents. If you were looking to get familiar with 'em, you might investigate one of the older models that are a little dimmer. If you couple it with a sun cone you could get in the game pretty cheap.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:48 PM »
Hey I think what people are really trying to say is that the Vexilar's ROCK!!!!!!!
Greg
Fish on!

Offline Swedish__Pimple

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:58 PM »
Very well and easily put Greg :D

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:02 PM »
Ice for sure by the weekend Jimmy! I saw a posting about Kuhn lake. I take it that this is the one on the Barbie Chain? A buddy of mine has a cottage on it and man
the nice gills and crappies out of it! Wow! We are going to try tip-ups for the Muskies
this winter. See you on the ice soon!
Greg
Fish on!

Offline baboiler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Green Hornet Strikes Again!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:11 PM »
Kuhn had a nice skim all across it today. A little birdie told me some gills got stuck on one of the channels today. Only 1.5" or so of ice on channels. Should be able to get on lake in a couple of days.
Hail, Hail to Old Purdue, Ever grateful ever true!  Boiler Up!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:15 PM »
I like the bait store on 13 right before the turn to the public access on Kuhn. Nice people! My friend's cottage is right off 13.
Fish on!

Offline baboiler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Green Hornet Strikes Again!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:45 PM »
I go there quite a bit also. The guy that owns it seems like a good guy. I bought a Lazer auger from him last year. I go to "Ye Ole" in Webster quite a bit also. The old man that owns that place is a good old boy also. I worked with him for a few years before he retired. I like giving both those guys as much business as I can. We don't have a real tackle store in Warsaw anymore (thanks Walmart , T.I.C.)  so I would hate to see those places disappear also. Good Luck out there!
Hail, Hail to Old Purdue, Ever grateful ever true!  Boiler Up!

Offline Carp1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On Ice sure is Nice!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2005, 11:22 PM »
I love my fl8, but the fl18 wasn't out then, after doing a little reading on it, I would have to spend the money to get the fl18 now (it's like an upgrade if you ask me).  But, either one is better than not having one at all.
Carp

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2005, 05:38 PM »
I have had an fl8 for many years and didn't see the need to upgrade, but while fishing up north in 8-10 ft weedy lakes I saw a huge difference. My fl8 showed good size bands of green at the lowest gain settings, while my buddies fl18 and the guides marcum showed a lot of separation between the weeds. Enough that you could still see the jig. It made a believer out of me without even mentioning the zoom or bottom lock of the newer units
If it ain't cold, it ain't fishing

Offline Pitcherbeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2005, 05:59 PM »
I just got my vexilar out of storage and noticed that I lost the black stopper that goes above the float on my vexilar. Anyone else have this happen and have any suggestions on what to preplace it with? Thanks!
Women want me, fish fear me!

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2005, 06:04 PM »
I just looked at my vex and that little black ball fits on there with just the right amount of tension so that the line doesn't get pinched. Might be worth emailing the company for a spare instead of making one.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:33 PM »
I'll bet you could pick up a tapered cork at the hardware store. Drill it, then cut it in half, put it around the cord and lightly squeeze the two halves together while duct taping it tight.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline bret

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • approaching "Grumpy Old Man" age
« Reply #23 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:54 AM »
I recently ordered some accessories from Vexilar.com.  I checked their site for the stopper and did not see it.  Maybe you could email them direct.  http://www.vexilar.com/products/fl-xdcr.html
Never Judge A Day By The Weather.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCloEWXfcjMRYo9J6qOLtggQ

petedraggin

« Reply #24 on: Dec 08, 2005, 01:02 PM »
FL-8 or FL18, in the big scheme of things, either will make a pile of fish seem much larger than the guys sitting next to you without one. If you are a guy who must have all the bells and whistles like me, the FL-18 is the way to go.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 08, 2005, 04:56 PM »
Hey Pitcherbeb, I e-mailed Vexilar about the foam pieces that secure the battery
in the pro-pack and they e-mailed back and said it was on it's way. No charge!!!
I don't know if they will do the same here, but it's worth a shot. They have great customer service!
Greg
Fish on!

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 08, 2005, 07:36 PM »
I have both but I only fish with the fl-18, it's hard to go back. the new vex is a better machine.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Walleyemaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2005, 03:14 PM »
   I had both at one time, fl-8 first then fl-18. I now have the lowrance 67c should have bought the 68c with gps. Let a friend use it on the ice together last year, he had fl-18 he wouldn't give it back till the end of the day. Just adding a new wrinkle to the debate. I'll take my lowrance!     WM

Offline weidner21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2005, 04:54 PM »
im getting ready to go get the fl 8 and was wondering how long do these batterys last during a outing?

Offline jigginstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig Jig Jig
« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2005, 05:00 PM »
Longer than you will want to sit there LOL.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.