Author Topic: looking for new tackle boxes  (Read 2619 times)

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
looking for new tackle boxes
« on: Aug 29, 2010, 08:27 PM »
I been looking into some new tackle boxes for my ice gear. I really like those flyboxes people use. I was wondering what type to buy. I seen some with clips that hold jigs and i seen the foam ones that you put the hook into. I was wondering what is better. Also what are some good brand names. Thanks everyone.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
Re: looking for new tackle boxes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2010, 08:34 PM »
I use the "Bug Luggage" from San Francisco Flyfishers Supply.  Bought them through one of the board sponsors here if I remember correctly.  They look like this:

-Jeff

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2010, 08:44 PM »
Do they seem to stay in place with all the movement?

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2010, 08:48 PM »
I have the same style boxes that Skeeter Jeff has, and yes the jigs hold in place very well.  With an occasional accidental drop, I think that I may have had 1 come out of the rubber clips. The kind I have is a Rose Creek Fly Box....bought from Fish307 ( an Iceshanty sponsor) at the Syracuse ice show.  I have plans to get a couple more this season.

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2010, 10:21 PM »
I have the same ones as Jeff. I picked mine up at a local bait shop. I like it a lot. They don't rattle in there like the plastic boxes that I had them in before. I could use another one this year.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2010, 01:55 AM »
Last season I posted here on Ice Shanty looking for an aluminum fly box with metal clips similar to one I own made by Perrine. On the recommendation of member Doubles Shooter purchased a center leaf fly box from Cabelas. Nice quality box and your jigs stay on the clips most of the time.
  I wonder about the durability of the boxes with foam inserts wether they have precut slits for your flies or just the foam.
 Steve

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Aug 30, 2010, 08:49 AM »
i have the bug luggage also.pretty nice box

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 30, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Where do you find the bug luggage?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Aug 30, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Where do you find the bug luggage?
i got mine from one of our sponsors at the top of this page either fish 307.com or fish usa.com

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2010, 10:49 AM »
i have been using the Morell fly box. I prefer the foam vs the clips for 2 reasons. First, w/the clips i find that the jigs move around some and dont stay very neatly organized (not that its a big deal) the main reason i prefer the foam is because i am not limited to the number of clips in a box. Rather i can jam as many jigs into the foam as possible. Just another opinion.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2010, 06:29 AM »
Last season I posted here on Ice Shanty looking for an aluminum fly box with metal clips similar to one I own made by Perrine. On the recommendation of member Doubles Shooter purchased a center leaf fly box from Cabelas. Nice quality box and your jigs stay on the clips most of the time.
  I wonder about the durability of the boxes with foam inserts wether they have precut slits for your flies or just the foam.
 Steve

mr.clean,
I'm glad you like the boxes. I have two of them along with two Perrine boxes. I'm going to order two more Cabelas boxes this season. I think collecting jigs is more addicting than crack cocaine

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Sep 07, 2010, 11:49 AM »
alas....finally found a tackle box or boxes    them portable ones just aint hacking it    using a craftsman 7-8 drawer rolling tool box   almost holds everything   just pick thru it and load a box before a trip   seems easier   lol     argh.......didnt have that problem prior to IS!     didnt know before that I needed all this stuff  ah the days of only a 5 gal bucket for seat / tipups and another for a doz or so smelts.....
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 07, 2010, 12:09 PM »
LOL... I didn't know that I needed all this sssssssss.... stuff either before IS, but I also didnt catch NEARLY as many fish or was NEARLY as comfortable doing it!!

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2010, 07:55 PM »
I have been using the small Plano with 4 take out sliders. It carries all I need, and I don't need to load my pockets with a bunch of fly boxes.  Just easy and small...fits in the bucket.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2010, 09:12 AM »
I also have several of the bug luggage boxes. I've been happy with them.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2010, 09:46 AM »
i also like the fly boxes easy to carry in a  coat pocket  also use a one tray tackle box seems to wok for me untill i get more tackle

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Sep 29, 2010, 08:05 PM »
Rose creek Jig box is the only jig box i now use! plus he just came out with the same box but it has jigging spoon holders in it..... so you can customize it to have jigs on one side and spoons on the other or both jigs or both spoons!

Google the name and you will get his web page

EK

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.