New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: tip up question  (Read 3646 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: tip up question
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2024, 08:18 AM »
 THE PROPANE POLICE WILL KNOW  THEY HAVE EXPERTS

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2024, 08:22 AM »
THE PROPANE POLICE WILL KNOW  THEY HAVE EXPERTS

Propane and propane accessories
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2024, 09:53 AM »
Empress Hochul is going to outlaw the 1 lb propane bottles in NYS.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2024, 10:27 AM »
I have plenty to keep refilling and really have no intention of ever obeying her laws

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2024, 10:27 AM »
I have plenty to keep refilling and really have no intention of ever obeying her laws

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2024, 10:45 AM »
Good for you.  Perhaps the information will be of value to someone who buys them and might want to stock up, and remember to save a few MT's for later refilling.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 18, 2024, 12:51 PM »
all you have to do is  put a 5 dollar deposit  on them

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 18, 2024, 03:07 PM »
But how many hook points per line?   ???

15 per line during open water, so 105?  ;D

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:
5 Lures, 15 hook points
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 18, 2024, 03:18 PM »

Now Hochul's propane police have evidence for a search warrant of your residence. They will confiscate all of your 1 lb propane bottles. 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Jan 18, 2024, 03:32 PM »
Can I put fifteen hooks on one line????😎✌️✌️
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 18, 2024, 03:47 PM »

on  7  lines  thats thats  105  hooks!!!!! 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Jan 18, 2024, 04:12 PM »
No just one line that way I have the whole water column covered…😎😎✌️✌️✌️
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 18, 2024, 04:38 PM »

well  yeah ...your  the  moderator  you  can  do what  ever you want!!!!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 18, 2024, 05:07 PM »
For smelts I jig and use the 5 hooks baited with spikes.  It seems silly not to use the sabikis in the tackle box.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline snow snake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 19, 2024, 06:02 AM »
  well now
    I am going have to remove my tip ups from all my floating inter tubes ?
   its a great idea works until-you get a  flat

snowsnake

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #45 on: Jan 19, 2024, 06:07 AM »

Come on kids, wrap everything up 'cuz we need to leave now. We now have 3 limits of pike from that 1st flag !!!!!!!  ;D
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Hardwaterhappy53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 24, 2024, 05:38 PM »
so i can have 7 tip ups abd a jigging rod inside my shanty?????

No. You can only have 7 lines, total.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Jan 24, 2024, 05:59 PM »
No. You can only have 7 lines, total.

are you sure?????  because i was told i could  have seven tip ups ........

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 25, 2024, 08:47 AM »
Here is the exact language right out of the regulations guide.

"Ice-Fishing Line Regulations
See definition of ice-fishing line (Ice-fishing line means any device used for fishing through the ice, including but not limited to hand line, tip-up, tip down, etc.)

No more than 7 ice-fishing lines in any combination of devices may be used, unless otherwise noted in Special Regulations.
No person shall operate an ice fishing line that has more than 5 lures or baits in total or has more than 15 hook points in total.
The operator must be in immediate attendance when ice-fishing lines are in the water.
Between May 1 and November 14, only hand lines (including rod and reels) may be used while ice fishing.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Jan 25, 2024, 11:32 AM »
see i'm running 7 tip ups for  devices then  just  hand  lines in my  shelter  no devices there   so thanks  guys  now i  know i'm all  good to  go!!!!!   oh is it ok to heat  my shanty with  refilled propane  bottles as long as i  don't transport them in my  truck????........thats rather vague about that  ....thanks  guys 

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:19 PM »
You need to get your reading comprehension checked out!  The definition says a hand line is a device.  Bottom line is 7 of any type in total.  Of course, there is always the "what are the chances a warden will show up" game.  I took a guy from my neighborhood down to Canadice a few years back, when tip ups still needed to be labeled.  As we were driving through Honeoye, I asked him if he had all his tip ups labeled, and he said he was all set.  I stressed that I could pull over and grab a roll of duck tape, and I had a sharpie in the truck.  He said not to worry.  Then when I drove by the turn for Canadice, he asked where I was going, and I explained that as this was my first trip down for the season, I was going over to Hemlock to get a reservoir Permit (no longer necessary).  He said it was a waste of gas and time, but I was driving.  When we got to the lake, he started complaining about his dull auger and his hurting shoulder.  There was about 10" of ice, and my auger wasn't the best, so I punched six holes for me and three for him, and let him set up in my not far offshore test hole, with the intention of cutting him a couple of more once I was set up, and a little rested from the first cutting.  About 45 minutes after starting, a State Police car drove down Canadice Lake road, and my friend commented on seeing one so far from the main drags.  About 10 minutes later, we saw a State Police Officer walking out on the ice to check our permits, which we produced immediately, having just gotten them, and  our licenses, which we both had to hunt for.  While we were going through our wallets, he went of a walk around the setup.  My friend said, "you don't think he's looking for labels, do you?" to which I replied " What do you think he's doing, why you said you were fine."  The Officer returned and looked at my license, and told me I was fine everything was nicely labeled and everything was copasetic.  He then asked my friend about his lack of labels and why he only had three traps and his hand line out.  After the hemming and hawing, he wrote my buddy for the lack of labels.  He had to drive the 50 miles to Springwater to meet the JP, and he paid a pretty good fine.  I never took him with me again, but that had more to do with him picking up one of my tip ups when the flag went off, it was a lake trout set right on the bottom, and he didn't know that if you hit them too early you just pull the bait away from them.  He also didn't know that it is extremely bad form to mess with someone else's lines without at least letting them know first.  And then there was the 20" brown he caight out of my test hole, but that had nothing to do with it.   ;D @)   

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:23 PM »
Trap, were gonna get you shorter spoon to stir the pot with. Lol 😂 :tipup:
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:28 PM »
I would love to fish with the Trapper, but I think I might have a hard time with getting my leg pulled all day!  ;D ;)

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:41 PM »
Trap, don’t forget to use certified bait, and keep your bait slip handy…

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:46 PM »
Trap, were gonna get you shorter spoon to stir the pot with. Lol 😂 :tipup:

We took his spoon away years ago you just stirs it with his hands now. I love when he does this stuff
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:46 PM »
I would love to fish with the Trapper, but I think I might have a hard time with getting my leg pulled all day!  ;D ;)

Fishing with trapper you'll laugh til your sides hurt

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Jan 25, 2024, 02:07 PM »
so lucky are you telling me  if  we  fish together i  can  fish your holes  catch your lakers off your tip ups  but have to label  mine????  hell it's a deal lets  go ....you  got any propane  cans  that need to be  filled????

active  my  computor  has a  printer you need some  bait slips?????

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2024, 02:13 PM »
hey if there is  no names on tip ups  how  do you know  who's is  who's  is it first there  gets the fish?????

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2024, 02:56 PM »
so lucky are you telling me  if  we  fish together i  can  fish your holes  catch your lakers off your tip ups  but have to label  mine????  hell it's a deal lets  go ....you  got any propane  cans  that need to be  filled????

active  my  computor  has a  printer you need some  bait slips?????

Thanks for the offer Trap, I’ll stick with my crayon made slips

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #59 on: Jan 25, 2024, 05:05 PM »
if i'm running my tip ups in lake ontario  tribs  like  sandy   pond or  chaumont  do i need a  4 foot  leader with  a swivel and  any weights above the  swivel?????

and if i  use  frozen  shrimp  for  bait  do they need to be salted  and  the  number clearly listed on the package ?????

one  more thing  i heard it's illegal to refil those one  pound  propane  bottles ........ i don't want to get in trouble

Ok ok ok trap yes you need that 4’ leader no you don’t need weights and the swivel is up to you if your using shrimp for bait that’s your problem too but in regards yes salted quantity and DATE you forgot that
Now as for that little green tank don’t get the shanty police out here to start war. lol
Tight lines
~perchin
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.