The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 2432 times)

Offline kozzy17

• IceShanty Rookie
Need some help
« on: Dec 13, 2007, 03:11 PM »
when i have been jigging for perch this year on the bay its been real tough the fish havent been interested in much of the minnows or the action they just swim away.
I havent had this hard of a time in a while trying to catch perch. does anyone know what other lure or bait i could try. im using teardrops with wax worms or minnows. any help would be be nice

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2007, 03:14 PM »
Trying switching the colors of the teardrop. Something like that may trigger them to be more aggressive.

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline twinkster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2007, 03:17 PM »
when i have been jigging for perch this year on the bay its been real tough the fish havent been interested in much of the minnows or the action they just swim away.
I havent had this hard of a time in a while trying to catch perch. does anyone know what other lure or bait i could try. im using teardrops with wax worms or minnows. any help would be be nice

I've noticed the same thing and I also noticed that with the minnow ban different bait shops have different minnows. I got bait from one shop and a buddy of mine lives closer to the other store and he bought from the other and his minnows didn't even look the same and they were hittin mine but not his. So he started using the minnows I bought and started gettin fish.
OFFICIAL NORTHERN SHIRT OF THE MIRC Proud member of the MIRC  

Offline kozzy17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2007, 03:47 PM »
i have used green, red and blue but it still didnt work. maybe that minnow ban could be the problem ive been getting my minnows from franks great outdoors but i would of never thought of that.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2007, 03:53 PM »
Could always try a smaller hook or hook your minnow lightly so that it still wiggles really easily
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline kozzy17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2007, 03:57 PM »
ill keep trying i just think that theres so much other stuff out there for them to eat. what about using a standard hook has anybody ever tried that.?

Offline whitey

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the slabs!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2007, 04:19 PM »
Kozzy, I've always had the best luck with a gold teardrop. If gold isn't working then I switch to bright orange with gold flakes and some "glow". Also, sometimes just changing too a horizontal type teardrop will give your minnow a different look for those finicky bites. You can also try hooking your minnow differently. 95% of the time mine are hooked through the eyeballs. Be careful not to puncture the head too deep though. LOL! I've even actually had success snipping the top of the tailfin off on a minnow. They obviously swim differently this way and peak the interest of the perch. Just a few "maybe's" you might want to try. Whitey

Offline Joe Dirty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2007, 04:42 PM »
I ahve always had the best luck with pirch using a Hali Jig (orange w/ black spots) tiped with a minow and then about 12 inches above that I tie on a a tear drop tiped with a waxy or spike.  The Hali jig has always produced good numbers for me.  Hope I could be of some help.  Good Luck

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2007, 05:08 PM »
If you can find them, try wigglers (mayfly larvae). That's what I usually use for perch.

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline kozzy17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2007, 08:10 PM »
yeah i can get those im willing o try anything

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I thought you were bringing the bait"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2007, 09:17 PM »
When there finicky ill use a 3mm fiskas orange pounder tippped with a wax worm, when you hook the waxie hook it throught the tail and then pull the head off but leave it attached and kinda mush the guts out just a teeny bit.that will let out oils and scent that seem to make fish a lil more tempted to bite. Just my opinion but it seems to work good for me when minnows are not the ticket which is usually the case for me any how. I catch way more perch on n.land forage minnows and pounders than anything...Good luck
"DUDE Where'd my rod GO!!"

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2007, 11:52 PM »
Try another type of jig may be something they have not seen before.

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2007, 12:00 AM »
Perch on St. Clair seem to go crazy for wigglers. When all else is failing the wigglers usually pull through. When using the minnow try bouncing it off the bottom so it looks like it is really hurt. Might get the fish to be more aggressive with all the dirt getting kicked up.

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline kozzy17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2007, 08:11 AM »
thanks guys for all the help ill have to try some of those lures and get some wigglers. but man thos things are nasty looking haha

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I thought you were bringing the bait"
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:20 AM »
yes wigglers are the last resort thats for sure, i hate using them though cause there so fragile they freeze easy, there just a pain to use but they are deffinetly the last resort for me... I just dont like using minnows either i miss way to many fish with em. Its probably small fish but i dnont care i cannot stand missing fish, also another tip is underwater cameras its cheating with perch. 1st day i had mmine we were fishin perch in lenawee mi.
and i caught 16 jumbos and my buddy got skunked, he was using a vexilar,but we were in 50 ft of water on the bottom!!! with 1 lb line a fish would have to be doing cartwheels with you lure to see a strike.
"DUDE Where'd my rod GO!!"

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #15 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:35 AM »
Howie!
You have the best user name!!

:flex: :clap: :bow:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2007, 02:41 PM »
http://www.unclejosh.com/unclejosh/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/43/page/1/id/120/name/BergieWormJr

Glow Orange is my favorite, right ahead of Glow Pearl and Glow Chartreuse.

In Action:  http://www.incogs.net/videos/IceFishing.wmv

I absolutely love these jigs.  When the fish are finicky, I just tap the end of my rod lightly and it wiggles the end.  I have watched perch numerous times go right by my buddies using minnows and wigglers and hit ol' bergie.

Inc

Official Iron-Man / Ice Geek / Ice Shirt of the MIRC
aka - Carnage-meister

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.