The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: What camera to get?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Ramdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I work hard cause millions on welfare depend on me
What camera to get?
« on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:01 PM »
Was out fishing with my pop this past weekend  (pretty slow but priceless time just b-s in )  and we were fortunate enough to use some of my unc's equipment which was an Aqua View camera and the Lowrance X67.  Loved both units compared to our Colorpoints that we have.  So either my or dads unit is goin down the road as we do not need 2 of em. Plus you do not have to listen to that whirling sound of the flasher.  Anyhow.... dad is convinced that he now wants the best underwater camera that can be had so what is everones advice on that?  My unc's had temp on it but I see that the sky is pretty much the limit with some of the options that can be had on some other units.  You replys will be very welcome since the ole' man will be havin some of my money kicked in on this camera too.  Many tanks, The Dog.

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What camera to get?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:36 PM »

Ramdog,
                  If money is no problem, check out Marcum Technologies. I have an aqua-vu, but wish I bought the the Marcum.

Offline Ramdog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I work hard cause millions on welfare depend on me
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2006, 08:17 PM »
Anutha quicky....I have now seen the infrared....Is it more important now to get something with the LED's?  Can see that if you are fishing sandy bottom you will see pretty easy with either.  Could not try it out last weekend in the mud since shanty not real movable and too darn cold to move

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2006, 08:57 PM »

Unless you do alot of night fishing, a camera with infrared should be fine. If you fish alot of waters that are pretty stained, then consider a camera with L.E.D. lighting. JMO 

walleyechaser

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2006, 03:29 PM »
Don't get the fish camera.  I've had a large pike grab it and try to swim away with it.  Quite a sight to watch on the monitor.  But scary because I thought the whole camera was going under.
Fortunately he didn't put abrasions in the cable.  Otherwise it would be toast.
I have the Aqua Vu Z with the infrared and its not bad for looking at the bottom when night fishing.
I've seen the ones with temp and depth and wish I had those options.
YOu can also get the one that the camera will pan 360 degrees.  That would be a really cool option.  But any movement of the camera when its underwater will spook fish.

Offline fisher50

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2006, 03:55 PM »
Scout models from Aqua View are getting very popular, I assume because you can get them for well under $300.  Base model is $199.  They talk about infra red lights.  Is that the same as LEDs?  They sat they help with low light conditions. 
I enjoy that perfect peace -- that peace beyond all understanding, which comes at it's maximum, only to the man who has given up golf.

pinche

« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:46 PM »
they have an under water camera at harbor freight thats $130 normally on sale for $100 i think it has a 65 ft cable. says it can be used at night,small black and white screen the camera doesn't look like a fish though(not sure that it matters) maybee a good starter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.