The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Saginaw Bay Walleye  (Read 2061 times)

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
Saginaw Bay Walleye
« on: Mar 01, 2006, 12:12 AM »
My buddy wants to head up to the bay this weekend from Ohio.He heard that some fish were being caught 6-7 miles out and the ice was 7-8inches.He has a friend that lives in Caseville(?)who gave him this info.I have never fished the bay and don't know if Caseville is close to the bay or not.We have an airboat and I believe his friend has one also so this is probably how he would get out.I have read some of the posts and it sounds as if people are fishing the bay but with some reservations.Anyone have any info to share?Also how is the Walleye fishing in the bay when it's fishable?I fish Erie a lot and it can be dynamite when your in the fish. ;D
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline evilgator

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Saginaw Bay Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2006, 03:02 PM »
Saginaw bays best walleye  fishing starts now,on through the closing of walleye in the rivers on march 15,till ice out.Best fishing in my opinion is to stay near or between Saginaw and kawkawlin rivers they stage here EVERY year and in about 2 weeks Limits will be caught in chocolate milk looking water in 2-3' yes thats 2-3 foot of water.Ice here has been unstable saginaw river is still mostly open water, beware of the winds people go for rides on the ice here every year.Living here my opinion is the west side of the bay is better fishing. out of linwood area early in the year and gather up by the rivers as it warms up , east side of the bay is reef spawning gators the big pigs run the rivers on the west side. ill be fishing the weekend about a mile east of bay city state park ill post results.

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2006, 06:40 PM »
I'm going next Thursday and Friday and would appreciate any tips on where to start on the Bay.Thanks for any info

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2006, 08:34 PM »
just a word of warning for guys not from around here.we got dumped on with some snow today.its gonna cover all those funny looking spots you would know to stay away from.go where someone else went.west side is not the best ice and even when there is good ice its still alot different than inland lake fishing.winds,run off,reefs all make bad ice areas.watch the cracks as they are working.be carefull guys.the bay is very unforgiving.

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline bucknduck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2006, 02:26 PM »
I can leave my couch and be on the bay in 10 minutes, and I will drive 45 minutes north to HL before I go out on the west side of the bay. It was getting better, but now that we have all this snow, I'll probably be in my boat the next time I'm on the bay.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2006, 03:49 PM »
Spoke with my friend again today.He talked to his buddy who is fishing the bay as we speak.He is limiting out on perch and others are getting some walleye limits further out in the bay.Problem is I don't know exactly where.Somewhere in the Caseville area(?). He says that there are quite a few fisherman about a mile out so that may give you an indication of where he is fishing.Riding quads and snowmobles out into the bay.Anyhow,he talked me into the 5 hour ride from Ohio.Will be leaving in early AM and fish Sat evening and Sunday.Will post results.There is no ice here in Ohio and it's been a long cabin fever winter.I can't stand it,I'm going crazy!AhAhAh........

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2006, 03:05 PM »
We made the 6 hour trip to the bay from Ohio.We took the airboat because of the posts of shaky ice.We went off Thomas rd. into the bay.Lot's of fisherman there going 3-4 miles out.Ice was good,about 18-20 inches and no major cracks.About 6 inches of snow on ice which made for a smooth ride in the airboat.The fishing started off good.Within 20 minutes I lost one fish and than caught a 27 inch 8-9 pounder.But that was it other than some small 12 in. walleye.Fish seemed active on the vex.Was fishing 16 ft. of water. If you marked them you generaly caught them.I believe we could have done better if we would of had time to move around and locate the bigger fish.( fished only Sat evening) Sunday we fished for perch around mud creek.Water about 5 ft. and crystal clear.We sight fished and caught numerous perch but all on the small side around 5-6 inches.Ice here was about 8 inches and no cracks.All in all it felt good to hit the ice.Hard to believe the difference what a few hours makes in the ice conditions.Probably done for the year now :-\ :-[ :'( I'll get the golf clubs ready.Still will fish from the boat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.