The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: ICE CATFISHING  (Read 2594 times)

pinche

ICE CATFISHING
« on: Feb 27, 2006, 10:24 AM »
anyone ever tried cat fishing through the ice I've heard it can be good if you can find a deep hole? also what lakes around oakland co. have nice cats in summer? thank you all

walleyechaser

Re: ICE CATFISHING
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2006, 10:36 AM »
We've been tearing catfish up this winter.  Big ones too. I can't stand catching them.  Getting them on tip ups teardrops, jigging spoons.

Pontiac Lake has a lot of cats.  Try to the right of Tackles drive.  Also I know there are a lot of catfish in Stony Creek reservior and Holloway has a ton too.  I think they are nasty but to each is own.

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2006, 09:18 PM »
 i recently have been catching them on a local lake using wax worms on a hali jig and also on tip ups with blues and suckers. real nice fight on an ul rod 2ld test.but besides that most of the time just a pain imo.

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2006, 02:35 PM »
they stocked pontiac lake with alot of cats.  ive caught a few monsters through the ice in past winters.  i caught one last winter, his lips were wider than the hole i was fishing out of, i think it was an 8 inch hole.  caught a few on tipups with shiners, the few times i actually used a tip up.  thats a great lake for catfish, id just drop some stinkbait down on a hook, youll probably catch one at night
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2006, 02:37 PM »
i caught a cat this summer out of pontiac, finally cooked one up, thats the last time i throw one back.  unless its big, the one i cleaned and ate was only about 20 inches 
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

pinche

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2006, 02:48 PM »
i caught a cat this summer out of pontiac, finally cooked one up, thats the last time i throw one back.  unless its big, the one i cleaned and ate was only about 20 inches 
i was gonna ask if youve ever ate one when you mentioned they were gross. your right about the 20 or so inchers theyre the best eating. i love to sit on the edge of a river in summer and yank em in all night.

walleyechaser

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2006, 03:18 PM »
Sorry guys.  I've ate them before and I think they are nasty.
I'll keep the ones I catch and give them to ya.  Summer time troll Pontiac lake at night with crawler harnesses anywhere in 6 to 10 fow and you'll slam the cats. 

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2006, 04:48 PM »
Are you sure your eating cats and not bullheads.?!!!??? There's a huge difference. Bullheads are the carp of the catfish world. Blues and Channels on the other hand are as good as anything out there when cleaned right (remove the mud vain along the side) and in the 18-24" range. When they get bigger they are like everyother fish species.....not as good!
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2006, 08:03 PM »
check the dnr stocking report for pontiac lake.  they stocked it with channel cats, lotsa channel cats.  i hear bullheads are as good as walleye through the ice.  them channel cats are some good tastin critters
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2006, 11:51 PM »
Sorry guys.  I've ate them before and I think they are nasty.
I'll keep the ones I catch and give them to ya.  Summer time troll Pontiac lake at night with crawler harnesses anywhere in 6 to 10 fow and you'll slam the cats. 
I was saying the same thing until I was taught this trick a couple of years ago...Next time you get a "keeper" cat...skin and fillet it out and then drop the meat into a gallon zip lock and cover them with milk. Put it into the fridge for an hour or two, wipe them off, dip into milk/egg batter then flour, back into the milk/egg batter  and into breadcrumbs. You can fry them in shortening, oil, butter/oil blend, broil or bake 'em....doesn't matter. If the fillets are large, cut them into chunks. My kids can't get enough of these, especially if the cats are from cold water. I also season the flour with that "dash" stuff or ground hot pepper.
FTD

Offline Lobo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hang in There !
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2006, 09:05 AM »
Catfish out of cold waters are very good if cleaned properly. I haven't gone catfishing in years but may this summer. Hard to beat a good catfish fillet or steak. Good backed or battered and fried. Best if not too large under 20" and like you say Real Wet Ride, Catfish Good, Bull Head Bad (they taste like mud).

I have never tried for them through the ice but that sounds like fun too.
Ross in Greenville, Mi.

God made the world 3/4 water and 1/4 land. So it's plain that he meant for us to fish 3/4 of the time and work 1/4 !

walleyechaser

« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:06 AM »
I'm positive they are channel cats and not bullheads.   Like I said you guys can have them. 
I catch them all the time when I'm trolling harnesses for walleye.  I sometimes get them up to 8lbs.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:00 PM »
I'm positive they are channel cats and not bullheads.   Like I said you guys can have them. 
I catch them all the time when I'm trolling harnesses for walleye.  I sometimes get them up to 8lbs.
cook them up like i do in my picture thread.  youll never throw another eater back  ;D  well, maybe you will
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

flockshot

« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2006, 08:06 AM »
never mind all this talk about big cats out of pontiac...the best part about this lake is all the eaters out there...it seems that i catch about 5 a night that are right around 24ish...i could care less about the big hawgs..which out there taste like mud..but the smaller guys..mmmmmmmmmmmm...l ol...

ps..buy that carp dough.either the berkley..or the stuff that comes in a white bucket..the sweet(corn,surgar) smelling stuff..believe me or not...thats the best CATFISH bait ive ever used..lol..especially in pontiac lake

Offline WntrMrngWood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2006, 02:40 PM »
i've had a lot of luck with "mousees"   ;D

actually i have caught quite a few with a teardrop jig and a waxworm.  water wasn't really that deep either.  maybe like 15'.
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.