The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Suggestions on where to take visitors?  (Read 2664 times)

Offline gogreen30

• IceShanty Rookie
Suggestions on where to take visitors?
« on: Feb 17, 2006, 08:05 PM »
Hey!  My first time on here.  My boyfirend and a few friends are coming in next weekend from Tennessee.  Originally they planned to ice fish because it would be a new experience for them.  I'm looking for any places that might be safe to fish   ( I live right off of Sylvan Lake).  Or.....even better, I'm looking for a place that will rent equipment or will "host" new ice-fisherman.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (Based on the recent weather, should I just keep them off the ice??? :()

Thanks a million for the help!!!!

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Suggestions on where to take visitors?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2006, 06:30 AM »
Welcome to the site! I would be glad to take you guys & girls out.
I have been icefishing for 15 years now & I have two shantys ,& alot
more.I do most of my fishing in Waterford & White lake,(Union lake area).
If your just looking for a place to fish,Try Loon lake,Cass lake, long lake,
Lake oakland,Cedar Island lake,Just to name a few. ;D
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline gogreen30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:48 PM »
Cooley,

That would be wonderful!  Thank you so much for your reply!  They are hoping to fish on Friday and Saturday but will take whatever they can get!  They have absolutely NOTHING!  We were going to go out and buy whatever they needed. (Nothing like being prepared, huh?!)  There will be four of them, (I don't think I'm fishing but you never know)  I know they would love to go with someone who knew what they were doing!  Couple of questions.....1) What would they need to buy beforehand? 2) What day or days would you be available? 3) What can they pay you for taking them out?  4) What else should I be asking????? :)  I can't tell you how much I appreciate your response and your help!  Looking forward to hearing from you again.  Thank you!!!!

Welcome to the site! I would be glad to take you guys & girls out.
I have been icefishing for 15 years now & I have two shantys ,& alot
more.I do most of my fishing in Waterford & White lake,(Union lake area).
If your just looking for a place to fish,Try Loon lake,Cass lake, long lake,
Lake oakland,Cedar Island lake,Just to name a few. ;D

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2006, 06:59 AM »
GoGreen,

There are not too many places that you can rent (by the day around the sourthern part of michigan that I know of) most of those places are farther north. You might run into a hard time trying to find equipment also most stores Meijer, walmart kmart have already gotten rid of ice fishing stuff back in early jan, Basspro shop at the great lakes crossing was having a save maybe 2 weeks ago 40% off ice fishing stuff. If you don't make it out with Cooley you can probably spend 50 bucks and get everything you need minus a shanty. If bass pro pulled thier stock head up M15 just north of davison to the fishing tackle grab bag, was just there on friday and they still had ice fishing stuff and thier prices are the best I have found anywhere (they blew basspro and cabelas out of the water)best of luck to ya

flockshot

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2006, 07:50 AM »
bass pro still has the basics...bluegillin basics..and most area lakes are good for ice...

Offline gogreen30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:41 AM »
Thanks for the information on where to get equipment!  I can't believe it's being pulled already!  This is the coldest it's been all winter!  I appreciate the help!

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2006, 11:33 AM »
Hey gogreen, welcome aboard :-*. I was priveleged to spend this past Saturday on the ice with Mr. Cooley (met him through this site also) and had a fantastic time! Your friends could do alot worse then trying ice fishing for the 1st time with this guy! He's got all the know how and tools to show them what's up on hard water (and he's not a serial killer). Thanks again Cooley! Maybe I'll come out and help with this gogreen project as my buddy is already bugging me to take him out there. He wants to see the flasher unit in action! I'll talk to you more about that on the side as the week goes on. Anyway gogreen, the local K-marts are still selling stuff out here on the East side, and all the bait shops will have the basics. Go Green!!
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

Offline Passion4theWILD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:18 PM »
Hey guys. I'm also taking a somewhat first timer out on the ice this weekend, my uncle. Hes from rockford MI and hes taking me steelhead fishing a hundred times so i thought id take him out and show him a few things about icefishing. I live in the clarkston area and if the gogreen project is on it would be great to get on the ice with some fellow ice fishermen. Have you guys decided on a lake? I know of a few that would be great for first timers but I'm always up for new honey holes. Thanks Nate

Offline gogreen30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2006, 12:56 PM »
Hey everyone!  I love this has been named the "gogreen project"!  I don't think a lake has been decided on yet although I'm not sure if Cooley has a place in mind.  I guess the guys want to go Friday morning or afternoon and all day on Saturday.  When is everyone else planning on fishing?  Slimechaser, thanks for letting me know about Cooley :)  That's awesome that you had such a great time and I'm thirilled to know he's not a serial killer!!  I'm thrilled to have some help in getting these guys out there since I don't have the first clue about ice fishing!  Thanks everyone...we'll get this hammered out this week.  Take care. (P.S. Just in case anyone is panicked....these guys all fly fish and game fish in the summer so they sort of know what's going on.  They've just never fished on the ice before!)

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:06 PM »
Whatever you do, make sure they wear extra socks and keep their feet warm!
Man....you guys are so lucky that you get to go fishing....I have to wait like 3 weeks!
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:15 PM »
Hey everyone!  I love this has been named the "gogreen project"!  I don't think a lake has been decided on yet although I'm not sure if Cooley has a place in mind.  I guess the guys want to go Friday morning or afternoon and all day on Saturday.  When is everyone else planning on fishing?  Slimechaser, thanks for letting me know about Cooley :)  That's awesome that you had such a great time and I'm thirilled to know he's not a serial killer!!  I'm thrilled to have some help in getting these guys out there since I don't have the first clue about ice fishing!  Thanks everyone...we'll get this hammered out this week.  Take care. (P.S. Just in case anyone is panicked....these guys all fly fish and game fish in the summer so they sort of know what's going on.  They've just never fished on the ice before!)

Sorry to take so long on gettin back to ya.Anyway Can't go friday I'll be at work till 4:00.
& Saturday I will be able to get out @ about 3:00.If you guys want to hook up then let me know.
PS... I am A serial killer ! ! !   Every box of co-co krisppies I see I kill  ;D

Offline gogreen30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:32 PM »
Hey!  No problem!  3:00 on Saturday would be great!  I think they're going to go out on Upper Silver (???) for a couple of hours on Friday night and agin on Saturday morning just to get a "taste". (There's a little place where they can rent a small shanty and can get poles and such) Then, they would love to meet up with you later in the afternoon.  Just let us know when and where and what to bring and we'll be there!  Thanks a million!

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:50 PM »
Hey!  No problem!  3:00 on Saturday would be great!  I think they're going to go out on Upper Silver (???) for a couple of hours on Friday night and agin on Saturday morning just to get a "taste". (There's a little place where they can rent a small shanty and can get poles and such) Then, they would love to meet up with you later in the afternoon.  Just let us know when and where and what to bring and we'll be there!  Thanks a million!

I sent you a PM, Don't worry about the shantys I have a three man and a four man.
Just put the too together & have one large shanty.

Offline slimechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Who ya gonna call?
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Hey gogreen,
Don't forget to check out the tips section on this site, there are places to learn technique and what tools you'll need. I've been ice fishing for years but really accelerated my learning curve here. It would take 10+ years to learn all the tips etc contained here in. Your friends will go away smiling!
Official Capt Ahab of the MIRC - "thar she blows"  
 Got nymph?   Some days your the bug and some days your the windshield.

Offline gogreen30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2006, 05:02 PM »
Hey slimechaser!

Thanks!  I just called the boys and passed on your suggestion.  Very helpful!  They're gettin' excited!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.