Author Topic: How Do You Hook Minnows For Ice Fishing?  (Read 39413 times)

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
How Do You Hook Minnows For Ice Fishing?
« on: Nov 12, 2002, 02:40 PM »
I was going through some old back issues of In fisherman magazine. Seems like most of the article that dealt with ice fishing with live minnows, they hook them behind the dorsal fin. Ive always lipped hooked minnow, I guess probably from fishing for crappies & walleyes in the open water season. Seem to me that hooking a minnow behind the dorsal fin with a small jig will disrupt the lures action. Do any of you lip hook, or dorsal hook, what have you noticed works better?

Offline tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On, EH
Re: How Do You Hook Minnows For Ice Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2002, 03:09 PM »
The best method for walleye that I found is using a 1/16 ounce jig and hooking the minnow in front of the dorsal fin but running the hook parallel with the minnow body.
*REMOVED*
Born to Fish, Forced to Work
<')(((((>{

coldpole

« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2002, 04:56 PM »
Fishdeep,
Sometime's Ihook them through the dorsal fin But most of the time I like hooking them through the tail, They stay nice & lively.
During mid season when things slow down is my favorite time to use minnows, If I am marking fish alot of times they will come & take a look but won't pickup the bait.
This is when I Like to use STOMPED MINNOWS.
You just lay them on the floor of your shack & stomp em till they squish.
It works best if you stomp em before you put them on your jig, this will save alot of time replacing bent & busted hooks.
I usually bring 5 or 6 pairs of boots with me, you never know what tread pattern they will go for on any given day.
Seriously sometimes the minny's can be too lively.

Stay on top & good luck

Coldpole

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2002, 01:33 PM »
I feel the action is much better when you tail hook it.  However if I am open water fishing and casting out I will hook it behind the dorsal fin.
Rich Ferguson

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2002, 01:43 PM »
Experiment! Thats the best advice I can give. You can hook a minnow just about anywhere and catch fish. When tip-up fishing I hook my minnows just in front of the dorsal fin... why? because 95% of the time a fish will eat a minnow head first. For added minnow action try hooking it in the tail area or try to just barely hook in the side of the minnow. For jigging I mostly lip hook because the minnow seems to stay alive longer. Just ripping of the head and using that for bait works awesome to.

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

IceFisherman

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2002, 01:49 PM »
  Hi all! Interesting question. Not saying I'm always right, but heres the way I've been doing it for years, as I was taught by my Father.
  When I jig for panfish, I hook the minnow by the lips. It seems I dont lose as many once they are hooked, and catch more on the first nibble. Also them tiny Crappie or Perch minnows seem to live longer after I hook them. They even live for days after, if they havent been bitten much. When I fish with tip-ups, I hook them IN FRONT of the dorsal fin. Seems bigger game fish dont steal as many. When I fish for Walleye I do the same. I never hook a minnow by the lips when fishing for walleye. Walleye are very, very, picky. If they feel the smallest resistance, they will drop the minnow. Of coarse you know, fish generally eat a minnow head first. If a Walleye feels that line accross his face, that shouldnt be there, he is sure to drop it.

Offline jaymzthefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2002, 06:21 PM »
hey all,

another thing i do for a different look for eyes and pike is to hook them on an 1/16 oz jig upside down so the minnow is always trying to right it self. But you need to keep fresh minnows on as this seems to tire them fast. But just experiment that is the thrill of this game.

cross some eyes

P.s . hello from a new member love this site I mostly fish Nebraska and wyoming

ARMSTRONG_BROS.

« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2002, 07:56 AM »
The way We hook bigger minnows and suckers is like this. You take  a thin stainless wire about 10" long and fold it almost in half, so one end is a little longer than the other. then take dental folss tied in a circle and put it in the fold on the wire. send this through the baits nostrils, now you will have two loops on each side of the nose. Take a hook and put the tip through both loops and then twist it a few times. Then put the hook tip through the opening below the twists then through the hole that that just made. This will keep the bait alive a long time and it puts the hook in the head of the bait. This also lets the bait hang free. I know it sounds like a pain to try and do this but once you get the hang of it you can do it in about 10sec.
                                             Brother #3

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2002, 02:48 PM »
When I fish with tip-ups I run my hook just above the eyes. You will find a void in the bait's head where you can slide your hook right thru and not hurt the bait one bit. I find this works really well for nibbling fish as your hook is in it's mouth as they almost always eat the bait head first. It may take you a few bait to get used to it but once you get it you won't do anything but, Trust me.

ARMSTRONG_BROS.

« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2002, 07:20 PM »
Also I like to use circle hooks with this set up.

Brother#3

DaveW731

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2002, 12:00 PM »
for Crappie and Walleye, I like to "reverse hook" the minnow on a 1/32 up to 1/4 oz (depending on size of minnow and targeted fish) jig head.  Insert hook parallel to the dorsal fin, from back to front so that, when done, the lead head is pointing towards the minnow's tail.  This causes the minnow to struggle against the weight, then fall backwards.  Seems to create an injured effect.

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2002, 04:41 AM »
I suppose there are probably a million or more ways to hook minnows, and consistently catch fish.  After reading through some of the techniques that others have proposed here I must say that I've learned a lot.  So I will add my two cents worth on the subject and perhaps help others as I have been helped.

Being that Pennsylvania only allows 5 line combinations with no more than 2 hand lines, I typically run 3 tip-ups and 2 jigging rods.  For the tip-ups I tend to agree with the majority, in that I will put a single barb of a treble hook (#12) through the minnow's body just ahead of the dorsal fin. [using a 2 ft 6# mono-leader back to dacron]  I've seen other anglers use the same setup with the hook just behind the dorsal fin, however, I think this variation tends to loose more bait on light strikes.

For jigging I like to put a single hook through the tail of the minnow, and suspend it just over the weedline.  The other jigging rod is rigged such that the minnow is suspended over a micro jig (tipped with maggots/waxworms), single hook through the lips.  I run these two jigging rods side by side, and as a general rule I catch more panfish on the jig/minnow combo, but larger fish on the solo minnow rig.

Good Luck to all, and be safe!  Ice isn't too far away now...

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Coldwater

« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2002, 02:09 PM »
Here is what an old timer taught me for tip-ups, ( I am fishing for Lakers and Salmon, but is also good for big pike just use larger hook and a steel leader) take a treble hook  (I use a size 4) and cut off one point (this allows the hook to lie flat with two pros sticking out) attach several feet of 8lb mono to the hook then tie a loop at the other end. Ounce that is set up you thread it onto the bait fish using a bait needle so the prongs of the hooks are facing away from the head of the bait fish (predator fish almost always eat bait fish head first). then attach the rig to your tip-up line, I have a swivel tied on to the nylon line so the swivel can open up and attach to the loop on the mono.  This makes the hook nearly invisable and works great.  I wouldn't waste my time rigging this up for perch though they'll take anything but it is well worth the effort for trout salmon and pike.

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2002, 06:32 AM »
For my  :'( I use two hooks.  I tie one on the line and leave a tail that allows me to tie on the second hook.  I use Gamahatzu hooks that are real sharp.  The the hook that is closest to the tipup gets hooked in front of the dorsal fin pointing towards the head, the second or trailier hook goes into the tail.  Alot of times fish play the grab and dash routine with your bait.  This way they won't get very far with two hooks... ;D

Offline mattmull10

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Not bad, but i can do better!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2002, 05:41 PM »
I swear by the dorsal fin method, if you hook them right they will stay alive all day,
My new Motto for the New Year #@%& it i'm going fishing

wisconsinboy

« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2002, 01:19 PM »
i hook all the minows that i use in the dorsal fin. i just think that they swim better when hooked that way.

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2002, 02:02 AM »
IF YOU ARE JIGGING MINNOWS IN SUMMER, YOU CAST THEM AND PULL 'EM BACK TO YOU, SO HOOK 'EM IN THE NOSE. FLORIDA BASS FISHERMAN TAIL HOOK THEM TO "GUIDE" THEM INTO REED HOLES.
WHEN YOU HOOK THEM IN THE DORSEL AREA WITH THE HOOK POINT TOWARDS THE TAIL, THE MINNOW STRUGGLES AND TRIGGERS FISH TO HIT. BY DOING IT THAT WAY OR RIGHT THROUGH THE TAIL, IF YOU SET YOUR ROD DOWN TO CHECK A TIP-UP OR WHATEVER, THE JIG RESTS ON BOTTOM WHILE THE BAIT STUGGLES. CAUGHT A LOT OF LAKERS AND CUSK THAT WAY.
OH, MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE THE BAIL OPEN, UNLESS YOU LIKE TO PRACTICE A SECOND BASE SLIDE TO KEEP YOUR POLE ON THE DRY SIDE OF THE ICE!!

woodspirit

« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2002, 02:55 PM »
Hey all,
I used to hook bait behind the dorsal fin when fishing saltwater for Striped bass.  I have found that hooking mackerel or shiners through the bottom of the jaw and out through one of there nostrils keeps alive much longer. There is no chance of hitting the spine and as long as you pay attention and don't brain them they stay alive all day. Also fish swallow them head first so it makes sense to hook them that way, at least for tip-ups. just my opinion.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2003, 05:06 PM »
I vary my bait hookup.  Minnows I hook either through just ahead or underneath the dorsal fin or through the lips.  I really have'nt seen a difference.  When using smelt, I generally hook the bait close to the dorsal fin.  
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Uncle_Musky

« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2003, 04:05 PM »
I like hooking shiners just in front of the dorsal fin.pike eat it head first,so you have a better chance of getting a good hook set.just dont hook it to deep.

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2003, 07:20 PM »
Last year I saw an In-Fisherman Video that contained a tip on this very subject.  Crappies are the target species in the video, and crappies take minnows head first when possible.  The tip is to hook the minnow through the top lip down through the bottom; that way the hook is facing inward upon the hookset.  If the minnow is hooked bottom to top the hook is facing out ward on hookset.  I used this tip last year during the semianual run of crappie on a local river, and before letting my fiance in on the secret caught twice as many fish as her.  Once she started doing the same she missed far fewer fish.  I think this method comes in most handy when fish are biting lightly or just "mouthing" the bait. ;D

Just my .02!

Eric
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline StrikeMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont be a GoatBoy!!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2003, 12:39 PM »
I just hook em right through the dorsal but dont hook it on the spine or they wont move  :o kinda common sense  ;D ;D
Those Mason-Dixon boys aint got nothin on the PA GOATBOYS!!!

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2003, 09:30 AM »
ditto strikemaster

loakieidog

« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2003, 01:22 PM »
I use smelt with a hanger hook to catch large pike I also have learned a lot by reading the post  love this site
I swear by the dorsal fin method, if you hook them right they will stay alive all day,

Offline DaFish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:How Do You Hook Minnows For Ice Fishing?
« Reply #24 on: Nov 23, 2003, 12:50 AM »
I also use 2 hooks 75% of the time while ice fishing especially with tipups.  Usually smaller treble hooks.  One hooked in the lip and the other in the dorsal or tail depending on the length of the minnow.  I am a big believer in the stinger hook.....

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 23, 2003, 04:23 AM »
Deep water lakers with smelt - small circle or light wire hook through their nostrils or lips and cut off a piece of their tail,6-8lb floro leader and 2-3 small split shot 3ft up,staggered every 6-8 inches.

GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

grumpymoe

« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2003, 03:03 PM »
it depends on the action--if the bite is soft i hook them just behind the dorsal fin but if the bite is aggressive i tail hook them 8)

acsacmboy

« Reply #27 on: Dec 31, 2003, 11:06 AM »
i like to hook up my pike bait on an english hook. perch most of the time i will go through the lips but on a dropper i go just behind the dorsal. sometimes through the tail. just my opinion

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2004, 08:42 AM »
Always through the upper lip only. This way the bait can pass water through it's gills and live longer. Good tip on which way the point should be facing (outward away from the mouth) Good idea. Thanks.

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2004, 05:11 PM »
I like to hook them throught the lips and the back.  I find that both way catches fish equally :'( :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.