Author Topic: How Do You Hook Minnows For Ice Fishing?  (Read 39438 times)

Offline redkona

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:How Do You Hook Minnows For Ice Fishing?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2004, 07:25 PM »
I also hook them right through the dorsal fin. I try to keep the hook at the top of the skin as to not kill the bait.

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
Re: How Do You Hook Minnows For Ice Fishing?
« Reply #31 on: Mar 05, 2004, 12:42 AM »
When it comes to hooking minnos there are as many different opinions as there are fishermen (and they are all right, of course).   :)

My rule of thumb is "through the minnow, and not through the thumb . . ."

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #32 on: Nov 07, 2004, 12:20 AM »
I feel the action is much better when you tail hook it.  However if I am open water fishing and casting out I will hook it behind the dorsal fin.

your right. I always feel for live minnows you should always tail hook it, and if they are dead and you are tipping a spoon or jig or something, then hook it behind the dorsal fin because it will have better action because of increased resistance to the water. Just my $.02
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

grumpymoe

« Reply #33 on: Nov 12, 2004, 09:16 PM »
tried them all.....for the hard bite....lip hooked......for the short bite...tail hooked....overall....f or the winter bite when temps get cold...just behind the dorsal fin...and just under the skin.........dont know how many minnows made it to live another day....but the resilience of live bait hooked this way.....promotes more bites when fishing the same spots day after day....live chubs are the best....shiners of any type just dont cut it....genetics come into play....tightlines all....Grump

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #34 on: Nov 14, 2004, 04:05 AM »
i agree moe .right behind the dorsal yet above the backbone.i have fished minnows on saturday,struck out and took them off, back in the tank!!the "hookedbacks"as we call them, are right back out on sunday!!

camo_fish

« Reply #35 on: Nov 14, 2004, 04:33 AM »
I'm in the same boat, on treble hooks I "back hook" them, on jig heads for jigging, I "lip hook" them.

My rule of thumb is "through the minnow, and not through the thumb . . ."
-Reelcharacter

I agree with this method too.  ;)

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 28, 2004, 01:16 AM »
I thread the hook through the inside of the mouth as far as possible then stick it up through the back.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 28, 2004, 09:21 PM »
Most of the time ill hook it right behind the dorsal, if im jigging sometimes i hook it threw the eyes and let it dangle.
Jason

NAD42

« Reply #38 on: Dec 18, 2004, 06:52 PM »
...after I cut it in half, I'll hook it so it hangs vertical, in-line with my jig.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2005, 01:03 PM »
Fatheads thru the mouth, shiners thru dorsal fin.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2005, 05:07 PM »
Fatheads jigging for crappie I tail hook most of the time.  Occasionally I will use just the head.  Tipups if I use fatheads I lip hook them and try to face two of them at each other.  If I use golden shiners I hook right by the dorsal fin as others have mentioned.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 04, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Fatheads jigging for crappie I tail hook most of the time.  Occasionally I will use just the head.  Tipups if I use fatheads I lip hook them and try to face two of them at each other.  If I use golden shiners I hook right by the dorsal fin as others have mentioned.

Black,
Do you catch more walleye on tip ups w/fatheads or golden's?           
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2005, 08:11 PM »
Here's a trick that I've learned from my dad.  When fishing for finicky craps, hook you minnow through the butt.  Just stick it through there and then through the skin.  You minnow will stay alive all day, plus it gives the minnow a unique action.  If you've ever seen a dying fish, they will often swim upside down.  This will drive craps nuts.  Try it, you'll like it!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 04, 2005, 04:26 PM »
UNDER THE DORSAL NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF BAIT.

Offline Kolby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 04, 2005, 09:18 PM »
Walleyes, Another vote for dorsal.  Tip-ups - Small split shot attatched to the treble to anchor the active minnow for an easy target, larger shot up 2 feet.  For more active fish a small shot up 12 inches and a larger shot 12 inches up from that one.  But I fish 90% of the time without bait.  Sometimes messing with tip-ups and deadsticks will force you into spending to much time in a marginal spot.  If the fish will take a minnow, they'll usually take an untipped Jigging Rap or Pimple.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #45 on: Feb 14, 2005, 10:26 AM »
Last night, I gave the tale hook method a try. I was very impressed, my minnow stayed active all night long. (doesnt hurt that we didnt catch any fish).

Offline tinboat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishing rules!
« Reply #46 on: Feb 14, 2005, 03:25 PM »
When I go out, I'll try to hook each shiner differently, (one through the back, one through tail, etc) and see if any one method appears to work better for that day. And if I get a series of hits on a shiner hooked a certain way, I'll change all the traps to that way. Sometimes the fish do have a preference...   :clap:
Gregg

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #47 on: Feb 22, 2005, 05:46 PM »
I'm w/ you tinboat.  sometimes that what it takes to get them to bite.  The different hook placement changes the way the minnow swims
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.