Author Topic: "Gearing up for the Ice Season" by Mitch Bradshaw  (Read 1746 times)

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
"Gearing up for the Ice Season" by Mitch Bradshaw
« on: Oct 14, 2013, 09:51 AM »

There is a chill in the air, the leaves are turning color, football is back, and holidays are coming up – this means one thing…ice fishing is right around the corner! That’s right ladies and gentleman, in a few short months (or a month for those willing to fish the high country) we will be looking down a hole in the ice and waiting for our rod tip to bounce. Autumn is a great time for hunters and fisherman but around this time each year I start to really get excited for the upcoming ice fishing season. This is the time of the year where you’ll find me re-spooling a lot of my ice reels, going through my tackle to see what I have/need, setting up/sitting in my shack, firing up the power auger (while getting some looks from the neighbors), and actively posting on the local ice fishing forums.

I’m particularly excited to try out 2 new pieces of equipment this ice season, those are: the Eagle Claw Inline ice reel and a new to me Frabill Trekker II portable shack. Last season Eagle Claw released their version of the latest trend in the ice fishing market – straight line reels. These reels are basically hybrids between a baitcast, spinning, and fly reel. Some of the benefits one might receive from using this reel are:  no line twist, no jig spin, a “free spool” button, a clicker feature, and a good drag system. I, personally, will be pairing this inline reel with my St. Croix Legend Ice rod (which includes a spring bobber). I think this will be a great shallow water (less than 15 fow) setup that will be able to handle jigs as small as 1/64th of an ounce. I also recently picked up a Frabill Trekker II for those days when heavy winds are forecasted, when I want to stay mobile and move spots frequently, and when I’m going to be fishing by myself or with one other angler. This will be a good compliment to my 6X6 hub style shelter – which is a great inexpensive, lightweight option that will fit in the trunk of a car. The Frabill portable shack will probably see the most ice time this winter between my two shacks but I will still use the hub shelter when I bring a group of people out and/or when I plan to fish in one general area.

For those of you that will be fishing “early ice” – Be Careful! Plan ahead, never go alone, bring ice picks, pack light, spread out when walking on the ice, bring a PFD (as silly as it sounds), and continuously check the thickness of the ice in front of you. Now with that being said, “early ice” trips can be some of the best at times:  you can be on the body of water before it sees a lot of pressure, find hungry and large fish willing to play, and find solitude in the outdoors.

What are some of the products you are most excited to use this season?

Here’s to a successful and long ice season! I hope to see you on the ice this winter.

Thank you for reading! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Offline H the yeti

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: "Gearing up for the Ice Season" by Mitch Bradshaw
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2013, 11:33 PM »
I got 2 of the inlines for this season. opted for the aluminum reels, hope they live up to the hype. 2 more weeks and we should be good.
Yay4u

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2013, 07:47 AM »
Already went through the gear 2 times and bought a bunch of things I didn't need. Trying to sell last years New Shappell Wide house 5500 to buy the bigger Wide House 6500. In the process of building a hitch to pull the sled with my ATV. Will sharpen the Auger Blades this week and fire it up. Seen ice early forming 2 weeks ago.
<===Lefty===

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2013, 08:14 AM »
 :thumbsup:
Mitch,
Now you did it! How do you expect me to get any work done now that you've got me all pumped up for first ice. Like you, I've already had my gear out and gone through, the blades on my auger have been sharpened, the sled gone through and tuned, and now it's the waiting game. Hope to see you on the hard water this year, and Good Fishing!
Ski
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2013, 03:40 PM »
Getting SO pumped!  Great post, Mitch -- felt the chill in the air this morning, and I'm guessing 3-4 weeks tops before I'm out on the ice in the high country. 

Hope we can meet out on the ice this season and chase some bass.   ;D

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Nate
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2013, 08:30 AM »
I just recently saw and commented on your post on fishexplorer (Dakotadude).  Good luck this season.  If you ever want to chase lakers or walleye let me know.  Those are the species I will predominantly be chasing this winter.
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2013, 10:11 AM »
I saw that, I wrote back. Shoot me an email via my profile on there!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.