Author Topic: 11 Mile During the Blizzard  (Read 867 times)

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
11 Mile During the Blizzard
« on: Dec 23, 2011, 10:17 PM »
Hit the Mile early on Thursday.  Had to break trail from Hwy 24 to the North Shore in 8-10 inches of the white stuff.  I decided to abandon my plan to fish the south shore when I saw the roads and the 20-30mph wind (did I mention it was blizzard conditions)?  Decided to fish since I was there anyway and wait for the roads to be plowed.

Set up in 9 FOW and hung a sucker 2' below the lid on one rod with a trout rig on the other rod.  A big trout hit my sucker while I was messing witht he other rod so I missed it.  About ten minutes later another nice trout came by and took my sucker - a 20" bow.  Those were about the biggest bows of the day and saw a ton of slimers which I didn't bother with (I had big baits on and they weren't interested). 

About 2:30 the pike came through and I saw six before I left at 5:30.  Three of the bigger ones took my sucker but spat it immediately.  :P :'(  I usually let them take the sucker for a minute or so before setting the hook - and this has gotten me quite a few beautiful pike in the past.  On the drive home I agonized over the rejected love.   ??? All that I can conclude is that my treble hooks were too large and that they 'felt' the hook.  I used size 8's (may have been 6's) when I usually use a size 10 in the front and a size 12 as a stinger.  I'm going back to the smaller trebles next time.

Anyway, I had the lake to myself until the afternoon when a mom, dad and daughter showed up.  Sure was getting cold when I left.  I heard it was -30 up there this morning.  Oh, 8-10" of snow on the lake and the ice was a good 14".

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 11 Mile During the Blizzard
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2011, 08:02 AM »
Glad you caught some nice trout. Too bad about the pike. I was up there Friday morning. -29 below 0,burrr! The high was around 0 for the day. Surprisingly it was sunny and calm. I didn't need a
heater on all of the day. I had the opposite affect. The first two fish I caught were pike on a size 14 nymph. Largest was 21". Only managed three small trout and two pike for the day.

I fished by Rocking Chair and the area I parked wasn't plowed but most of the areas are open. The 8" of snow can be a strain if you are pulling a heavy sled. Fishing still slow as far as how many
I'm seeing.Tight lines.

Offline Budwaystone

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 11 Mile During the Blizzard
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2011, 09:09 AM »
 :) Merry Christmas Mark, no ice here , temps in low 40's anyway good luck and be safe, tight lines bro Chris

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.