Author Topic: Time to retrofit the old Fish Trap...  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Fredster

• IceShanty Rookie
Time to retrofit the old Fish Trap...
« on: Aug 28, 2007, 12:31 PM »
Well I usually don't like to post pictures of projects before they are done, but what the hey...

Here is some pix of my old fish Trap Scout.  I'm in the process of re-fitting it for the third time.  i'm thinking this may be the last, and next year it'll be time for a new bigger unit. 

This pix shows the back side.  I modified the seat to mount it on the back end (side to side, instead of front to back)  The way it was originally, wasted most of the space in the sled.  I also added some old x-country skis, as the runners were getting pretty thin.

This one shows the beginnings of the "rod area".  I plan to lay down some foam and some foam rod holders .  Should hold 6 rods if I calculated it right.  The seat lifts forwards to make it easier to access this if needed.

This last one show the storage area I built in with a couple of doors.

Theres still much to be done (build a tow bar for my new ATV ;D, add some rod holders, paint it, add lights, etc.).  All in all though it's going well and I expect to be done in a couple of weeks or so.  Still waiting on the glow wire I ordered for the lights...

what ya think?

I'll post more when she's all done...

Fredster

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We Need Another Ice Age !
Re: Time to retrofit the old Fish Trap...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2007, 01:38 PM »
  Looks really good. Does that seat slide side to side? It's always nice to see some of the great ideas people come up with.Great job!!!     best of fishing>
May the LORD BLESS and keep each of you safe on the ice.

Offline Fredster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2007, 02:27 PM »
  Looks really good. Does that seat slide side to side? It's always nice to see some of the great ideas people come up with.Great job!!!     best of fishing>

Thanks!  Yes, the seat does slide side to side.  Kind of nice to, as I prefer to sit a little to one side anyway.

Fredster

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2007, 04:49 PM »
Nice sled!!!
How much extra weight does the wood add? probably doesn't matter since you added some skis.

Nothing like an ice fishing project to get your mind off this heat.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2007, 06:39 PM »
Looks great. :bow: :bow:
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2007, 06:42 PM »
Sweet deal fredster;D ;D What did you use for skis? The pic makes it look like 1" aluminum stock :o

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Fredster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2007, 09:34 AM »
Thanks guys.  So far it's working out better then I had planned.  The skis are an old set of cross country skis I picked up at a garage sale for a few bucks.  I had to chop off almost half the length, but I think they'll still work well.  I cut the ends at a 45 deg. angle and drilled 3/8" holes in the end.  I can now screw in some ice anchors right into the end of the skis.

As to the weight, it does add some, but not too bad.  This is actually the third time I've done this to the old scout.  The last one unfortunately was very heavy, way to much and too thick of wood.  This one has much less wood, and lighter materials, so it probably adds about 10 more pounds to the sled.

Fredster

Offline bucketmouth

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have an ice day!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2007, 10:01 PM »
Got any pics of the finished product?  Love checking out mods others have completed  ;D

Don

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.