Author Topic: Thunder Bay 4man Hub  (Read 1198 times)

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thunder Bay 4man Hub
« on: Jan 05, 2019, 02:58 AM »
Im putting up my current views and opinions on the Thunder bay 4man hub pop up. Last i checked (also the price i got it for) it is going for 165$ on amazon. This was by far the cheapest price I could find on a 4man especially with these dimensions. I've  had it out about 6-8 times so far. Had it out on nice days, wet snow, single digits in the night, and in the wind.  Below is my pros and cons list.

Cons:
 Only one door and the zipper seems tight depending on how the cornere are set.
 Not insulated (no insulated options available)
 Builds/drips condensation from the roof with multiple people inside and the heater cranked up
 Fear i have that it might break or rip strictly due to the price, actual quality seems fine.
 Like most 4man shelters ive been in, it would be tough to fish 4 men all jigging inside. 3 works, 2 is roomy even with all our gear inside

Pros:
 Half the price of comparable size hubs
 Large enough for me to stand up comfortably and i am 6'4"
 Super easy set up
 Fits easy in the carry bag and it is comfortable as a backpack carry
 Comes with 8 ice anchors and a carry pack
 4 windows and they are velco to remove
 Blacks out inside well enough to sight fish in clear waters

Overall, i am currently super satisfied with this shelter. If anyone is on a budget or curious if they would like to try out hub style shelters, i think this is unbeatable from what i was able to find in the price range.
I have taken it out solo and it i can have it set up from taking it out of the bag to popped up in less than a minute. Depending on wind i throw a few screws in the corner gromets or guy lines out. I have never needed to put in all 8. Same thing goes for takedown. If i dont have any screws in, i can take it down, fold it up, and put it in the bag in about a minute.
Ill post an update or edit if my views change, but right now im rating it 5 stars
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Thunder Bay 4man Hub
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2019, 09:45 AM »
Thanks for the report.

You must have practiced alot to get it up quick like that!  Lol.  Takes me at least 5 minutes for my 4man clam hub... the hubs always seem to lock together and jam things up.  I have broke two poles during setup!

Jason

Offline Noon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Thunder Bay 4man Hub
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:09 AM »
Thanks for the report.

You must have practiced alot to get it up quick like that!  Lol.  Takes me at least 5 minutes for my 4man clam hub... the hubs always seem to lock together and jam things up.  I have broke two poles during setup!

Jason

this shelter seems to set up a little easier than the cabelas 4man that i have other experience with which i was told is made by clam. i am not sure if the dimensions or the way the poles are attached to the corners or some other variables are the reasons for my quick easy set up and take down. i do know that it didnt take much practice for me anyway to figure out how to set up and take down this particular hub. when packing it down, it seems that if i lift on one corner and the hubs dont all just fold right up, i will grab one of the adjacent corners and find that it goes easily.
 one key to getting to to set up easy is i leave the door unzipped to allow air to pull in easier so as not to have it vaccum itself (kind of like putting a garbage bag all a round the rim in the can before opening it up. i also stand on the snow skirt whenever pulling a wall out which also seems to help.
 i am also 6'4" with long arms which makes it easier to pull the roof up which i imagine could be tricky with a shorter reach.
fingers crossed, i hope that if i keep doing what i am doing i dont end up with any broken poles. like i said in my original post, i do treat it with some caution due to a few of quality based only on price not what i have experienced with the actual product.
It doesn't sound that appealing to most people I talk to, but going out onto a frozen lake and staring into a hole for the day is my favorite thing to do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.