Author Topic: Opinions - Direct Vent VS Forced Air heaters  (Read 7842 times)

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Opinions - Direct Vent VS Forced Air heaters
« on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Hey guys, what are your opinions on heating a finished permanent wheel house somewhere around the 6.5x12ft range. I live in Minnesota, so everyone has Ice castles, which all have forced air. I know that it helps to heat the house more evenly, but it takes power to run. I have went out fishing with several different people, only to find that they left the heat on and the battery died from the blower. I don't like this, and that's what draws me to a direct vent, wall mount heater. My thought is that you can run a couple of 12v computer fans that will circulate air silently, and not take nearly as much power as the forced air will.

Overall, what is everyone's thoughts on these? Im open to any opinions and suggestions you all have. Thanks!

CI

Go Beavers!

Offline NHGunowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Opinions - Direct Vent VS Forced Air heaters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:02 PM »
I think you will be fine with ductless. I have my eye on an Atwood 12k. It only draws 1.2amps. Rig up some kind of "ceiling fan" to move it back down and around and you'll be good.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2015, 05:26 AM »
Their is no comparison in my opinion. Forced air with 3-4 ducts and a bigger furnace well out weighs the hardships of battery drain. Especially if the temps are in the -20's.

I had a house with a wall mount and the front holes always froze over even with fans. I spent a lot of time pouring hot water down the hole. and everyone fishing wanted the hole in front of the furnace.

I hear your concerns, and you are right about the drain. I just think between the two, spending a little more on the forced is worth the cost for a more even heat.

Good luck on your decision!

It sounds like you have a nice house!

Oh not all Minnesotans have an Ice Castle  ;)2

WS

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:34 AM »

It sounds like you have a nice house!

Oh not all Minnesotans have an Ice Castle  ;)2

WS

Haha I don't have an Ice Castle! My father does though, and I use it quite a bit. I am gonna be building my own, and can't justify the price you pay for what you get from a Castle.. Just my thought anyways.

Do you guys think that if I have a spray foamed house, a direct vent would be alright?

Go Beavers!

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2015, 03:20 PM »
I would go direct vent with a computer fan or two.  I use a DV heater in my 440sq/ft garage and it's awesome. Even if the power goes out, the garage will get heated by convection.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:29 PM »
Do you guys think that if I have a spray foamed house, a direct vent would be alright?

A few manufacturers offer either type of furnace in their foam filled houses.

Going on that, I would say yes.

WS

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:15 PM »
I have an Empire direct vent in my 6 1/2' x12' and could fish in shorts if I wanted to. I hava a couple computer fans near the ceiling to circulate the air.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:19 PM »
I have an Empire direct vent in my 6 1/2' x12' and could fish in shorts if I wanted to. I hava a couple computer fans near the ceiling to circulate the air.

How many BTU's is your heater, and is your house spray foamed?

Do you guys think I would be better off running fans at the ceiling or fans right on top of the heater to make it a kind of forced air type effect, which directly spreads the immediate hot air throughout the house, and not just what has risen to the ceiling..?

Go Beavers!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:27 PM »
My Empire is a15,000 BTU model. It is insulated with 1 1/2" white foam board and the floor isn't insulated. Computer fans blowing down from the ceiling works for me. I also have a computer fan that I can put on top of the heater to blow horizontally, but have never needed it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:26 PM »
My Empire is a15,000 BTU model. It is insulated with 1 1/2" white foam board and the floor isn't insulated. Computer fans blowing down from the ceiling works for me. I also have a computer fan that I can put on top of the heater to blow horizontally, but have never needed it.

Awesome!  I appreciate the info! This is just the type of info I was looking for! I am definitely going to spray foam my house, and because of this, I think that a 15k BTU heater will keep things roasting in there!

And since I have a way to get 12v computer fans for free,  I might just mount a few all over the house and use them as needed.. they arent an eyesore and they dont take up hardly any room!

Go Beavers!

Offline caseySD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:27 PM »
Direct vent all the way as I agree,  it takes power to run a furnace.  I have a 6x10 with a nonvented 10,000btu and it will cook me right out in subzero temps.  I run a 12 volt fan for circulation,  keep a window cracked and have a low oxygen sensor so all is good.  Above zero I find myself turning it off for a bit sometimes.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:37 PM »
Direct vent all the way as I agree,  it takes power to run a furnace.  I have a 6x10 with a nonvented 10,000btu and it will cook me right out in subzero temps.  I run a 12 volt fan for circulation,  keep a window cracked and have a low oxygen sensor so all is good.  Above zero I find myself turning it off for a bit sometimes.

What type of Insulation do you have?

And I understand why people would use ventless heaters, but it's just not for me.

Go Beavers!

Offline caseySD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:56 PM »
What type of Insulation do you have?

And I understand why people would use ventless heaters, but it's just not for me.

My shack is 2x2 stud walls with 1" blue foam board between the studs,  .040 smooth aluminum siding over house wrap and tougne and groove knotty pine inside.  The ceiling has 2" blue foam and the floor is not insulated,  only 3/4 5 ply marine grade green treated plywood with indoor/outdoor carpet inside.  My heater is one I had but I am wanting to step up to a vented one soon.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:56 AM »
Thank you very much for the info Casey! I really appreciate it!

So this isnt a heater question but more of a insulation question to anyone that has any experience with it... When I get my house spray foamed, do I not have the roof foamed, so that it leaves a place for the air to escape/enter through the house? I see mentions of people that have payed xxx dollars for the floor and xxx dollars for the walls, but never the ceiling. Is this correct?

Go Beavers!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2015, 02:20 PM »
My house has the walls and ceiling spray foamed.

WS

Offline caseySD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:11 PM »
Just like WS said,  every house I know of that's spray foamed is spray foamed all the way around.  If anything I know of a few floors that aren't but always the walls and ceiling. 

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:21 PM »
Wouldnt a guy want the floor spray foamed before the roof? I mean, yes, I understand that heat rises and is sitting up at the ceiling, but isnt all of your cold air coming in from below you, which is sitting on the ice? Personally, I think that it would be more important for an ice house to have the floor insulated before the ceiling...

Go Beavers!

Offline caseySD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2015, 04:01 PM »
I think floor insulation depends on what you want.  Some guys sandwich foam board between two layers of plywood.  It works great but adds extra weight with a second layer of plywood.  If you just put foam board or even spray foam under one layer of plywood and leave exposed to the ice then it can freeze down and tear off when you lift your house.  The way I figure is you have holes open anyways so the little bit you might gain probably isn't worth it.  Just my take...

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:51 PM »
I think floor insulation depends on what you want.  Some guys sandwich foam board between two layers of plywood.  It works great but adds extra weight with a second layer of plywood.  If you just put foam board or even spray foam under one layer of plywood and leave exposed to the ice then it can freeze down and tear off when you lift your house.  The way I figure is you have holes open anyways so the little bit you might gain probably isn't worth it.  Just my take...

Fair enough. Thanks for the opinion!

Go Beavers!

Offline Chris00WJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2015, 12:48 PM »
For me, forced air was the only way to go.  I was planning on having a fully powered shack regardless, so the extra draw of the furnace is no big deal. 

If you arent planning on having power in your shack for accessories like camera, tv, stereo or whatever then perhaps a direct vent is what.

It all depends on your specific plans.

I dont have my floor insulated, just the ceiling and walls of my shack with 1" foam and I'll be heading out in the morning in -21C (without wind chill).  So we will have to see how it does.  Eventually the floor will have 2" foam, but I havent had a chance yet.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2015, 12:56 PM »
For me, forced air was the only way to go.  I was planning on having a fully powered shack regardless, so the extra draw of the furnace is no big deal. 

If you arent planning on having power in your shack for accessories like camera, tv, stereo or whatever then perhaps a direct vent is what.

It all depends on your specific plans.

I dont have my floor insulated, just the ceiling and walls of my shack with 1" foam and I'll be heading out in the morning in -21C (without wind chill).  So we will have to see how it does.  Eventually the floor will have 2" foam, but I havent had a chance yet.

Well currently, I am not planning on buying a generator for my shack, and while I will be running lights and fans, there is not a plan to be putting in a tv anytime soon. That is why i think that direct vent is the way to go for me.

Also, yes, please let me know how things warm up in your shack! Im curious to see how everyones shack deals with the arctic weather we're having!

Go Beavers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.