Author Topic: Tarp style portable  (Read 2623 times)

Offline forest city spearing

• IceShanty Rookie
Tarp style portable
« on: Nov 18, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Hi guys, I recently found out that my pop-up blind/ shanty has a huge rip in the side of it.  So now I wanna make a tarp style one, but the only thing is whatever plans I see online either cost money to buy or there are no dimensions.  So I need help from you guys to tell me the dimensions of one you know of or have made.  The kind I wanna make would have rectangular faces instead of the rounded off ones.  Any help is much appreciated!! Thanks

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
Re: Tarp style portable
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:45 PM »
If a new Flip style is not in your budget, I think you could find a used one cheaper that you could make one from scratch. I am sure there is some out there for $150.00 ~ $200.00 and save you a big headache this late in the game.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Get a roll of awning repair tape from a RV store and fix the rip.

Offline hoosierdad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2014, 12:19 AM »
X2 on the awning repair tape.  I used it few years ago on our camper awning and its still holding.
love to fish....hate to work

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2014, 06:13 AM »
Any local canvas shop will fix you up for prob less than you can build a new hut, example two new zippers on a shappell 2 man was $40 and they sewed the holes for free. I would get it repaired, but if you want to build a new one, how many people do you plan to fish in it? Are you pulling it by hand or atv? Don't build it bigger than 4'x8' if you plan on moving it using people power.  My hut is 4X8 and I can haul it myself but if the snow is deep I regret not having a pop up.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2014, 04:20 PM »
I'd rather build a new one because the blind was to heavy for taking out of my dads truck and since I'm not able to legally drive i wasn't able to have the mobility i have now... which is only a snowmobile.  I plan to fish 2 people.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Plus if you knew me I am very creative.  I'd rather build something myself then buy it at Cabela's or Gander Mountain.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2014, 05:57 PM »
The "Ontario" style homemade shack is very popular here.  That is the kind that has the wooden ends that flip up and canvas everywhere else.  Those are pretty simple to construct.  You have a 4x8 floor and the ends are typically 4x6 with a rounded top.  If you are looking to build something like that, there are some folks who could give you pointers I'm sure. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2014, 06:55 PM »
holehopper thats the kind but instead of rounded top i want square ones.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2014, 07:43 PM »
I've never built one of those, but I have been in plenty of them and they are very comfortable to fish out of.  The downside is that they are heavy.  What most guys do is start with a 4x8 sheet of plywood for the floor.  Cut out your hole openings in that.  Most of them that I have seem have had some sort of "runners" underneath them.  Even just some 1x2" material running lengthwise will make it easier to pull.  Then, you'll need a couple more 4x8 sheets of plywood.  Cut them to the height you want (most are 6 feet or a little over) and those are your end pieces.  Get some closet dowel and cut yourself 2 - 8 foot dowels.  Those dowels will run the length of your shack and will keep the ends up.  They actually make a bracket for closet dowel that sort of looks like a "C" laying on its side.  You lift the dowel up and drop it into the "C" to set up the shack.  I would use 2 of those, one on each of the top corners of the ends of the shack.  Then, attach your end pieces with hinges and cut yourself a door on one end or on each end, whatever you prefer.  Cut yourself a window or two and screw on some plexiglass for the window.  Then, choose your tarp material and attach that to the ends. 

That is the basic concept and you can go from there.  I've seen guys with fold-out shelves on each end and all kinds of other mods.  These are awesome houses to fish out of and set up in about 10 seconds.  The downside to them is that they are heavy.  Most guys use a 4x8 size since it slides right into the bed of a pickup flat between the wheel wells.  Let me know if you have any questions and I'm sure other guys on here have lots of suggestions on other mods you can make. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2014, 06:25 PM »
What kind of tarp do you recommend

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2014, 08:02 AM »
Blue taps are great cause they are dark in color and build heat in the sun, but a canvas drop cloth treated in this would be perfect.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.