Author Topic: Thermal or not thermal?  (Read 1587 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Thermal or not thermal?
« on: Apr 18, 2011, 08:41 PM »
 I'm going to buy a hub style shelter,but I was wondering if the thermal is worth the extra money? The hut I'm looking at it is $40 extra for the thermal. I live in IL. which is does get cold and I do fish at night for crappies. I just didn't know if the thermal really made that much of a difference.
 Thanks for the input!!!
  Matt

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
Re: Thermal or not thermal?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2011, 03:29 PM »
I have the Clam Command Post Hub 6x12. It is not the thermal model and I live in MN. We went out when it was real cold this season and it never was a problem. I think the biggest thing with the thermals is reduction of the condensation inside the shack. I use a double sunflower on low and sometimes go down to a single off a 20lb propane tank and we always stay plenty warm. It's way more heater than i need, but better have extra than not enough. I tried using a real small buddy heater and there is just too much space for that to work well.

So i think you could go thermal model and probably save on the size of heater you get and less condensation. Might save money in the long run by using less heat/propane each time.

Or just go with the standard model, keep the heater going and you should have no issues except some drippage. I am not regretting my decision at all. The standard works just fine for me. If it's any colder than -10 wind chill, i'm usually not out much then anyway.

Hope that helps. Maybe someone with a thermal can let you know how theirs works.
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2011, 05:35 AM »
In my opinion, if you plan on fishing in the cold, the Thermal insulation is a must have upgrade, simply for cutting down on the condensation that forms (and drips) inside the tent. The longer you're in your tent with the heater running, the more moisture builds up, and without the thermal lining it will stick to the tent walls and ceiling, build up and drip back down. It gets quite annoying after a while.

A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline jeffmonument

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:58 AM »
Got a Summit Thermal, less condensation and warmer, love the hut.  On the down side, sight fishing is really bad.I get a lot of relection from the pin holes.  I'm going to make a little modification by adding some "blackout" drapery cloth this Summer.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2011, 10:39 PM »
I've had shelters where the condensation was bad with a Mr Buddy (DX3000, DX4000).  I have a Yukon TC and it is better.
I also have DX6000 (cube).  The cube is never a problem, probably because the the really good venting.
MD

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2011, 10:38 AM »
Only 40.00 difference? If your gonna use it, Get it!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.