Author Topic: wiring a shanty  (Read 6493 times)

Offline fisherman 14

• IceShanty Rookie
wiring a shanty
« on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:10 PM »
i was thinking of wiring my shanty ;D. but i am not sure how much 2-3 12 volt batteries would power or how much it would cost. whats your input

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: wiring a shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:27 AM »
Try this website :
fishhousesupply.com

They have all kinds of stuff to give you ideas.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:46 AM »
i have 1 12v battery in my shack. I run a fan constantly and an interior light sometimes. I have an exterior light but I have not used it yet. I have mabe 10-12 hrs in my shack so far and the battery still shows a full charge.
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2010, 07:07 AM »
I wire all my shanties with 12 volt. I buy the plugs that only go one way so not to cross up the positive and negative. I carry lawn tractor batteries in coolers.Works good in case of spills. The handles work well taking them in to charge them. Make sure all of your devices have fuses built in. I run an underwater camera, vexilar, DVD, TV, Cell phone charger, two 50watt lights, (not all the time). I stay out 12 to 14 hours at a time.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline snosleder080

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2010, 12:33 PM »
12v with a marine battery will handle most ammenitys you will use without a problem.  If you really want to go above and beyond you do as I did in my shack:  I ran a regular light fixture to a switch and then put a female plug on the end so a 110 extension cord  can be plugged in.  I then made connector with a male plug (to hook into the female wire thru the shack) on one end and pos/neg wires to hook to a marine battery for 12v.  I bought one of them expensive 12v 60watt CFL bulbs, and if you want to run 110 just change back to a regular light bulb.  I made sure to label my bulbs so the wrong one doesn't get put in after a couple beers.  Works awsome though.

Offline fisherman 14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2010, 03:51 PM »
these are really good ideas i think im gana use 2 recharable 12 volts one for lights and one for other ammemadies if i do

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:16 PM »
i just started this season to use two deep cycle marine battery's,(connected pos. to pos., and neg. to neg. for max. capacity) and used them two full days and left them out for the work week, then used them for another two full days brought them home to recharge and they still had 61% left on them....and i use two fish cameras' one fish-finder, and a car stereo....its a nice feeling you have enough power, and your not going to run out of juice...
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline fishwiz4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Playin' Hooky in my new X2!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2010, 03:51 PM »
go online and search for 12V compact flourescent lights (CFL).  these are the little spiral lights.  they are more expensive, but you can easily light your house on one 12v deep cycle battery for 2-3 nights without charging.  if you want a power inverter, you might want to batteries to power other devices.  or, put a generator plug in and your set to go.

the CFL lights are awesome though.  they take a minute to get up to full brightness when you start them at temps below zero, but thats not really an issue at all.

fishwiz
eagles may fly....but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines

Offline 98600xc

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothin beats the vexilar!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2010, 04:13 PM »
12v batteries work great. I run an electric auger, lights and a fan off one all night when I fish for crappies at night and it usually holds up great.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:27 AM »
I fished fourteen hours Sat. I used one tractor battery to run my Vex and an underwater camera with a five inch monitor. I also made a light out of those clamp on reflector type. I cut the 110v cord and put a 12v connection on it to hook up to the battery. I bought a 50watt light bulb from Walmart for $1.47 in the camper section. I started fishing around 2:30 am and used the light quite a bit. I had enough light to tie my small test line. That was nice for a change. My battery lasted almost 10 hours before I had to hook up the second one I brought. I had one more in the truck if I needed it. With the three small tractor batteries I figure I could stay out all weekend without running out of power.

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:52 AM »
Any of you think about a small solar charger that you can get for a $100
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2010, 04:47 PM »
Any of you think about a small solar charger that you can get for a $100
ive seen people use em' and they work good, i just couldnt afoord them this yr., but its the first thing im buying next yr.
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2010, 04:15 AM »
As far as the cost of the solar charger. The main reason I use the small lawn tractor batteries is so I can take out on the lake the amount I will need for the time spent. When I get home it is easy for me to carry them in the house and hook them to an automatic charger. I carry them in coolers with nice handles and storage for cig plugs and such. The big batteries, like RV or trolling, will pull your arm out of joint. I have to carry my stuff down to the basement.  New rule this year, kept the stuff off the dinning room table. I can buy allot of power for $100 in lawn tractor batteries. Then I put them back into the lawn tractor at the end of the season to mow the grass. The amount of things I am using while I am out, the solar could not charge it fast enough.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.